Page 280 of 296 FirstFirst ... 180230255276277278279280281282283284 ... LastLast
Results 6,976 to 7,000 of 7397

Thread: Bowlbacks of Note

Default Re: Bowlbacks of Note

Quote Originally Posted by vic-victor View Post
    The one from Peru. Armadillo back instrument. It once was a large armadillo. The ones used for charango are smaller.
    I have heard that on the best charangos with armadillo backs the hair still grows. I am happy to say that the one I own has a carved wooden back. For some reason the armadillo shells creep me out tho I should be equally creeped by mandolins covered with TS.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I have heard that on the best charangos with armadillo backs the hair still grows. I am happy to say that the one I own has a carved wooden back. For some reason the armadillo shells creep me out tho I should be equally creeped by mandolins covered with TS.
    Do you need to shave them?

Either way, that would really creep me out as well, though it sure is a talking point!

Yes, they used to come with a shaving kit.

I am not even sure that you can import them into the US any more. I also heard they sometimes carry all sorts of disease.

OK, quick research. It looks like the US armadillos are the ones that can carry leprosy (!) and not the SA ones. Armadillos and Leprosy article.

OTOH who knows what the SA armadillos carry....
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

As a boy in East Texas we were taught to stay very clear of armadillos alive, but especially dead. Plenty of road kill 'dillos for the folks from Arkansas.

All the talk about leprosy might just be talk, but it registered with me at age five, and still does today. Like Jim, I've got an all wood charango. The mojo may not be workin' but that is still enough for me.

I love playing charango but no need to get all reptilian about it.

Yes, drunk at age 18 on the Ship Channel in Houston I probably ate some 'dillo, but once is enough.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Hi, anyone have an opinion on the Carlo Mazzaccara Lucia bowlback mandolin. Thanks

Looking for a good bowlback classical mandolin

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, anyone have an opinion on the Eastman Bowlback Mandolin? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    I love playing charango but no need to get all reptilian about it.
    Words to live by. Ancient Greek string instruments often had bowls of tortoiseshell-- as in, the whole shell. Dunno... that would make me a bit queasy. Then again, back in the day folks would clobber each other on the head with cows' hip-bones, so one can't be all that precious looking back in time.

For present-day use, I'd stick with, ah... vegetable matter.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Quote Originally Posted by lex-joe View Post
    Hi, anyone have an opinion on the Carlo Mazzaccara Lucia bowlback mandolin. Thanks

Looking for a good bowlback classical mandolin

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, anyone have an opinion on the Eastman Bowlback Mandolin? thanks
    I played an Eastman and was pretty impressed by the quality. If you can get one for a decent price go for it. I have not played any Mazzacara mandolins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Hi everyone! I picked up Mandolin in December and this site has been a great source for me! I want to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge and passion.

I bought and restored this old Mandolin, I think it's from the 20's or 30'2 but have had a hard time finding the exact year, or even make. There is no visible label on the inside (or outside.) It was sold to me as a Stella, but the person really had no idea.

Can anyone help me identify this? Year? Make? Place of origin?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170513_172322.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	157189   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170513_172331.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	157190   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170513_172346.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	157191  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170513_180140.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	157192   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170513_180200.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	157193   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170513_180218.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	157194  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170513_180225.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	157195  

It is probably American-made and was stripped with newer parts. The larger makers like Oscar Schmidt (Stella) often made these less-expensive mandolins for retail stores to sell. They often sold by the dozen. it could be Stella. Most of these were made around the turn of the last century into the 1920s.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

10. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    It is probably American-made and was stripped with newer parts. The larger makers like Oscar Schmidt (Stella) often made these less-expensive mandolins for retail stores to sell. They often sold by the dozen. it could be Stella. Most of these were made around the turn of the last century into the 1920s.
    Jim, thanks for the info! I think the hardware is original, I cleaned it up with my dremel, to get everything working again. I saw somewhere that the tuning hardware is post 1920 because of the slotted screws, rather than the rivets that were used pre-1920.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsay86 View Post
    I think the hardware is original.......I saw somewhere that the tuning hardware is post 1920 because of the slotted screws, rather than the rivets that were used pre-1920.
    Well, that might be some sketchioso information. I'm sitting with a '00 era Washburn bowlback--with slotted screws on the (original) tuners. Not an anomaly.

My hunch is that Jim noticed the slight overhang of the tuners on the headstock. This would seem an abnormal original condition--and perhaps the consequence of a replacement set of tuners or from ambitious sanding in a refinish process. But, however delightful, this is a modest mandolin, so that off-alignment might well have been outdabox.

I would hazard a guess that your mandolin is more than a bit closer to '00 than it is to '20. Not likely '20s. Zero chance of '30s. The contrasting staves were a feature that was seen often in the '90s but tended to disappear as time went on. I agree with Mr. Jim in that this might well be from the Atlantic Rim rather than the ubiquitous (knee-jerk) Chicago assignation.

Looks to be in pretty good shape / repair. Please tell us that those are Extra Light strings. Then Play On!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

13. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

EXTRA LIGHT STRINGS INDEED!! Thank you so much Mick! Some great information!

I also noticed the off set tuners, as I am the one that restored/repaired it (two of the ribs on the bowl has separated).
    The Mandolin lived most of it's life in Ohio, for what it's worth. I assume that it was a modest Mandolin for it's day due to the few number of staves. I figured the more ribs, the fancier.

Any tips on where I can dig in and read about Mandolins from this era?

...Any tips on where I can dig in and read about Mandolins from this era?
    Unfortunately, there is no one collected source on American bowlback mandolins per se. Lots of fragments of stories and information in different sources.

Keef Pleijsier's book on Washburn instruments has a lot of great material on Lyon and Healy's mandolins from the era.

Same with Bob Carlin's book on Regal Instruments, also out of Chicago.

Our friend Graham McDonald's great book is a comprehensive history of the mandolin, but he does include extensive sections on US makers from the era.

One of the very best--probably the best-- collection of information on bowlback mandolins is this very thread. From it's start it has been an amazing ongoing source of information for me. So many people have contributed from all over the world: Jim, Martin, Eugene, both Victors, Alex T, Allen, Plami, Bob, David, Beanzy, John, Bill K. Too many to name. The thread was going full steam long before I got on board, and I learned much of what I know from these folks.

Totally worth wading through the ebbs and flows of conversations. Lots of material on Italian bowlbacks as well. We've tried to imbed photos in the posts so links to websites or auctions aren't lost. Would make a great book--if someone would edit out all my dopey commentary!

Glad to have another bowlaficianado join us.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

16. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Mick,
    thank you so much! I've been playing Mandolin for 6 months, and when I get into something I GET INTO IT.
    Mandolin Cafe has been my best source for history, tabs, and tips. SHOUT OUT to everyone contributing to this forum.

I am sure there are many people getting great info from this site that never register and make it known, would be a great project to compile all the great knowledge shared here.

This site is an example of what the internet should and can be.

Cheers!
    Benjamin

Got my bowl back back … and it's amazing how much better it sounds to me now, then it did a couple of years ago. Live (play) and learn ...

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    Got my bowl back back … and it's amazing how much better it sounds to me now, then it did a couple of years ago. Live (play) and learn ...

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to billkilpatrick For This Useful Post:

"A. Galiano" bowlback for sale in the classifieds …

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/111052

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    Glad to have you back in the Brotherhood, Bill. It's like you never left.....

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

23. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

The Brotherhood, while silent at times, runs deep, very deep...
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Quote Originally Posted by vkioulaphides View Post
    The Brotherhood, while silent at times, runs deep, very deep...
    Not so much a cabal as a cabowl ...

26. The following members say thank you to billkilpatrick for this post:

Does anyone know if bowl backs have a standard size and shape for their sound hole? I am looking at installing a pick guard and am not sure if they are more or less universal.

Does anyone know if bowl backs have a standard size and shape for their sound hole? I am looking at installing a pick guard and am not sure if they are more or less universal.
    Every one is likely different--even sometimes on the same model from the same maker. Not likely to be anything available on the aftermarket. They were typically attached to the top directly or inset into the wood.

Think deeply about whether this is necessary for you or not. Could be a radical altering move to an old instrument in good condition / restoration. Not that it is my business, but I would advise against it.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

29. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

My humble opinion: this is not a terribly valuable instrument. You already refinished(?) it butt if you really want to put a pickgaurd on it, knock yourself out.

For my ukes I used to get some self-stick clear plastic and they worked very nicely to protect the top of the instrument. If you like the look of tortoise pickguard material you can either get pre-made Martin-style guitar pickguards and cut them to fit or else just get a sheet of that material and glue it to the top.

This removable material might be another good possibility.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

31. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

From Jim Garber "this is not a terribly valuable instrument. You already refinished(?)"

Yes, I've already re-finished it. What do you estimate its value to be? I paid $60

I thought I might buy a pick guard from the time period, and it might be an upgrade to the instrument, but I am leaning away from adding anything to it. Might have, it was an easy do, and if it wouldn't affect the value negatively.

From Jim Garber "this is not a terribly valuable instrument. You already refinished(?)"

Yes, I've already re-finished it. What do you estimate its value to be? I paid $60

I thought I might buy a pick guard from the time period, and it might be an upgrade to the instrument, but I am leaning away from adding anything to it. Might have, it was an easy do, and if it wouldn't affect the value negatively.
    For $60 you got yourself a nice playing old instrument. These particular ones were made by the thousands. I would not worry too much about authenticity or value. Just enjoy it. It is not valuable and probably not worth much more than you have in it. The only place to get a pickguard from the period would be to buy another one or find another bowlback mandolin in pieces. Of course you could do that, but most likely it would fall into pieces when you try to get it off the old wood. If you want to try putting one on yours get a sheet of tortoise-style and cut it to shape.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

34. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: