Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: De Mureda Ressurrection

A general thank you to all for the positive comments, and I'm glad it has been interesting to follow.

Hi Mick, in answer to your questions.........
    1. Yes I stripped off the old finish first. I often just touch up where damage is not severe, but because the surface is not all smooth and even, it never looks as good as starting over..... and as this was a 'born-agai' I figured there was no down side to redoing it completely. I removed all the old polish, sanded smooth with progressively finer paper, and then burnished the wood with a linen cloth. After that the polish went on nice and smoothly.

2. No finish to the top other than Lem-oil, to inhibit grease. Almost all the Italians I have come across have had very dirty tops, but NO finish.

3. As for Lyon and Healy, I have no idea. There seem to be distinctly 2 pools of antique mandolins, American and European, I hardly ever see US ones over here.

AND as for the 1893 Vinaccia......... I should perhaps be able to finish by NEXT easter if I start fairly soon!?!

Gradually tuning it up, I'll try and do the sound thing before I go on holiday next week. Regards, Dave
    No such thing as a dead mandolin!

www.mandolinluthier.com
    www.crumbles.info
    Facebook: search Dave Hynds ... its me with the mandolin!!

Congratulations Dave.... that's a masterpiece of restoration work... well done.

OK......... after a day struggling with a steep learning curve, WAVs, mp3s, downloads and uploads, the soundbyte for the Mureda, should be downloadable here for those interested in listening....

http://minorcrisis.net/files/Mureda%20Soundbyte.mp3
    ....I hope.

It never ceases to amaze me, that something that sounds simple when described by some else, involves all sorts of hidden problems. Well I think I have listed a sound file without having had to provide my inside leg measurement first.

NB the mando sounds ok, I'm not so sure about my playing, I'm not used to playing bowls any more, even though I do love them to bits!! Regards, Dave

www.mandolinluthier.com
    www.crumbles.info

Hi Dave,
    <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/WEYMANN-SON-VINTAGE-MANDOLIN-FOR-COLLECTOR-OR-PROJECT_W0QQitemZ150122030720QQihZ005QQcateg
    oryZ119027QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">here</a> is your next project. There's no such thing as a dead mandolin!
    Best wishes
    ian

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (trebleclef528 @ May 13 2007, 17:09)
    Hi Dave,
    <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/WEYMANN-SON-VINTAGE-MANDOLIN-FOR-COLLECTOR-OR-PROJECT_W0QQitemZ150122030720QQihZ005QQcateg

oryZ119027QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">here</a> is your next project. There's no such thing as a dead mandolin!
    Best wishes
    ian
    Ian, I saw this and was thinking the exact same thing. Too bad the asking price is so ridiculous or we might have pitched in and bought it for Dave as a bit of a 'challenge.' #

I wonder if the 'fuzzy bowl' enhances the sound?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

"HAS COLORED CARPET MATERIAL ON BOTTOM AND SIDES"

hmmmmmmmm...... I never thought of carpetting my mandolin before?!?
    But seriously, that has to be the vilest one I have ever seen. Dave

www.mandolinluthier.com
    www.crumbles.info

Quote Originally Posted by (brunello97 @ May 13 2007, 19:11)
    I wonder if the 'fuzzy bowl' enhances the sound?
    I guess it's supposed to give you the warm fuzzies. (sorry)

My favorite part of the ad is that after being burned and cracked and painted and carpeted, they still have the nerve to say "THIS IS AN EXCELLENT VINTAGE PIECE.."

Quote Originally Posted by (ngladd @ May 14 2007, 08:47)
    My favorite part of the ad is that after being burned and cracked and painted and carpeted, they still have the nerve to say "THIS IS AN EXCELLENT VINTAGE PIECE.."
    Perhaps the mandolin was soaked in wine to give it that rich coloration, hence the "vintage"?

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, yours suggests an interesting escalation of the whole botte v barrique controversy viz 'Mondovino'. Aging wine in tiny quantities in old mandolin carcasses. I've certainly used red wine to age carpets but never carpets to age red wine.

This actually looks reminiscent of the condition my house was in when I first bought it.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Dave- The deMureda is on the block!?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....=1&rd=1

I tossed in my ceremonial bid, but unfortunately can't pursue this with great vigor. Best of luck on the auction. I hope the eventually winner realizes just what a prize he/she is getting.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Wow, I'll watch that with interest! Good luck with the auction, Dave, she's looking great.

Fliss

Dave.... To take on such a project you either have to be a genius or mad ?? I think the two are closely linked?... but I'll definately give you the benefit of the doubt and say your a genius!

It looks superb
    Ian

Less than 3 hours left on the auction for this, and the current bid hardly justifies all the work that went into it. I'll hope for a last minute surge (which is usually what happens, anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by (ngladd @ June 26 2007, 13:27)
    Less than 3 hours left on the auction for this, and the current bid hardly justifies all the work that went into it. I'll hope for a last minute surge (which is usually what happens, anyway.)
    I get your gist, Neil, and not to be a niggler but 'compensate' is probably a better word than 'justify'.

I'm pulling for a couple of wealthy Tokyo collectors to get in a last minute bidding war. Nonetheless, this certainly seems like a project where the ends and means are mutually justifiable.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Well, the deMureda is returning to Italy (for ~140 pounds.) Kind of a happy ending to a nice story. I hope Dave feels good about it all.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Thanks for all the positive vibes, (and the odd ceremonial bid or two)...... they must have made the difference. Have kept my head down somewhat while this has been on ebay..... mixed feelings...... would it be worth it? how would it sell? Saying goodbuy to an 'old friend', and so forth. In the end I am pleased with the result and the price.

Am posting off to Italy today. As Mick quite rightly says, "its going home" which is probably the most appropriate ending possible.

Right, no excuses now....... I guess I'll have to start on that 'build a bowl back' project I have been putting off!!!

Back soon, all the best, Dave

www.mandolinluthier.com
    www.crumbles.info