Thread: Regal Dobro mando vs. National Reso new mando

Hi Mando lovers of the world!

I have a Regal Dobro 30's mandolin and wonder about the difference in sound to a new National Resophonic mando? has anybody tried both. I like the Regal very much, sweet top end and nice projection. I do get a little disturbed by the clicking of the pick against the coverplate because the strings are so close to it. I was wondering if this was a problem with the national too? I live in rural Sweden and therefore have NO CHANCE to try one of these. The closest place where they MIGHT have one in stock is 3 hours away by train...

cheers
    Bert

pic of mine below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regaldobromando.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	18268  
    2010 Giacomel J5 #86
    2019 David Šefl custom 2 point
    2008 National RM-1
    1941 National Style 0
    1968 Gibson EM-200

I have a Regal/Dobro and have tried the Nationals. The Nationals are quite nice but having the Regal fills my need for a resonatored mandolin. Their sounds are a bit different but I may actually prefer the Regal (although familiarity may account for this) and either is enough of a novelty for what I play that I see no reason to have both or to change from Regal to National.
    Bob DeVellis

I think they're hugely different. The National cone has a biscuit and saddle on top, and the strings rest directly on that, so the string signal goes directly to the cone, rather like a banjo:

The strings on a Dobro cone rest on a saddle mounted to a cast aluminum 'spider' that rests on the edge of the cone cavity. The sound is transferred to the cone via a bolt in the center.

Even the cones are different. Because of these fundamentally different ways of getting the string sound into the cone, the resulting voice is quite different as well. I happen to prefer the National, but reports on the new solidbody resophonic Nationals has been mixed. My experience is with the old-style hollowbody ones like this:

Nonetheless, I like the sound of the old Dobros, because they are somewhat sweeter and quieter. I actually like the bell-like sound of the very last ones Rudy Dopyera was making in the 80s even more.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Second Mr. Hostetter's analysis. I own one of each, a Dobro mando from the '40's and a National Triolian from the '30's, and the sound's completely different. The Dobro is quiet, bell-like, with a smooth sustain and lots of overtones. The National's brash, aggressive, with much greater volume and a real "bark." Of course, the Triolian has a painted steel body, and the Dobro is laminated wood, which accentuates the difference. I haven't played the new Nationals, but the described difference between the two resonator cone designs results in quite different sounds. You can hear the same distinction between Dobro and National guitars.
    With regard to unwanted pick noise, you might try picking near the base of the neck, rather than over the resonator. The old Dobro mandos aren't noted for good materials or "fit and finish"; my instrument repairman said the neck block on mine "seems to be made of balsa wood." I didn't take that as a compliment...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Default Re: Regal Dobro mando vs. National Reso new mando

I have a Regal resonator mandolin, as per the original post. I too have the problem of banging my pick on the cover plate, I'm glad its not just me. Still makes a great sound though, and was affordable, unlike the new Nationals.
    Bellastown

The lower end of the resonator mandolin spectrum, has been filled by Chinese imports (Johnson, Republic, etc.). Don't measure up to the Nationals, IMHO, but not everyone wants to plunk down $1.5K or more.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I play an interesting resonator mandolin. It has become my main mando. It's a 1920's Dobro that I picked up for $50. it had a totally trashed neck and cone, and the body was kinda beat up too.

Patching up the body and buying a Beard cone was the easy part.

Since I play mandolin and mandola, I thought it would be nice to combine the two into one instrument. I decided a 14.5" scale might be a good compromise between the original 13.75" scale and my almost 15.5" mandola scale. (all measurements approximate - my memory ain't that good).
    And in part because the saddle width would not allow all ten strings, I went for a five-string arrangement.

I had no idea whether I'd like the sound or whether the scale would be right. But I was very very lucky. The tone is absolutely beautiful. and the scale is very playable. I had initial some problems with the high E breaking and have tried different gages. Learning to play a little easier has helped, too.

After some experimentation, I am using Elixir light mandolin strings with an .047 Elixir guitar string (ball removed) and am very happy with this set up.

A number of folks who have tried my mando have expressed interest and want me to make them one. So I've started making a prototype and hope to build a few for these folks. This is rather exciting!

I'll post photos when I figure out how...

-------------
    5-string Dobro-based mandolin
    Laura Ratcliffe mandolin
    1923 Gibson mandola
    cool-looking horrible-sounding home-made solid bubinga electric mandolin
    harsh-sounding old banjo mandolin
    various guitars, ukuleles, basses, banjos, percussion, and so on

I can't speak for the mandos but have checked out both Regal and Dobro guitars...in general, the newer Dobros tend to have better fit and finish, and I think sound "better" out of the box. Now, you take a Regal and drop in a Quarterman cone and you can end up with a great sounding resonator for significantly less $$$. Like regular mandos, the imports can be of variable quality with some being great and some not, but the Regals I've seen appeared well made for the price point (and better than their Chinese brethren).

Certainly no expert on here, though...any luck checking youtube for "comparison" videos? I haven't looked in this instance but there's a surprising amount of stuff there, and I've found some very good guitar comparisons (where the guy plays a song on a Gibson Archtop, then unplugs the guitar, switches to an Epiphone dot and plays the same song through the same amp/setup)...

Good luck, and regardless, hope you're enjoying your resonator!
    Chuck

I just realized I forgot to address a question asked by the original poster. Or maybe one of the first responders.

I did find that the coverplate got in the way of my pick. On my old instrument, the coverplate was made from very soft brass, and I simply pushed it in and that allowed enough space for the pick. On my new instrument, I am planning a thicker fingerboard and a bit more neck angle and I think that will provide the needed distance.

I also removed the bridge cover so that I could palm-mute the bridge, a technique I find indispensable on my resonator guitar as well.

I did end up resetting the neck on my second instrument in order to provide some clearance. I think the additional break angle over the bridge also improved the bass a little bit, too.

Default My Mandonators

Here's a link to a few photos and sound samples of my second 5-string resonator mandolin (I've dubbed them my Mandonators!) http://tophergayle.com/pages/Mandonator/index.html

This instrument has a 14.3" scale, solid mahogany top, back, sides, and neck, ebony fingerboard, and a Beard spider and cone.

I'd be interested to know what you think!

I'm just starting a batch of three now. One will have a bubinga body, one may have walnut, and the third may be mahogany.

Topher

My Number Three Resonator Mandolin (Mandonator) is now strung up and I am playing it a little prior to taking it all apart again to apply the finish coast. Here are some snapshots taken of it as it was being built.

http://tophergayle.com/pages/Mandona...ree/index.html

I gotta get those sound files updated!

Have a good 4th of July weekend!

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Nice looking work, Topher. Thanks for posting the links to your photos.

Mick

My wife has completely recreated my website, lots more photos and sound samples and stuff now. And I've built several more instruments now, too!

So please visit again. The URL has changed - that old link is no longer going to work.

http://www.tophergayle.com
    Thanks!

Topher
    Maker of The Mandonator(TM) custom resonator mandolins.

I play them, too. Also guitar, bass and percussion. find out more here;http://www.tophergayle.com

I had mine custom built with the 30's design and the newer National cone and biscuit bridge. I think it turned out well?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back..jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	59369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front..jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	59370  
    Thanks for your support?

Very cool Topher. What's the ballpark cost of one, and is it possible to add a pick-up?
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    Very cool Topher. What's the ballpark cost of one, and is it possible to add a pick-up?
    Ballpark, with case, but not including shipping or tax (if applicable) is about $2200 - some options can make it a little less, others significantly more.

Since each instrument is totally custom, ballpark prices aren't really all that accurate.

I've installed MacIntyre and Fishman pickups, so far. They sound OK but have low output levels. I want to try a Lace pickup on the 5-string 22" mandocello I am planning to start soon.

I play them, too. Also guitar, bass and percussion. find out more here;http://www.tophergayle.com

Topher, just curious; but where do you get your cases? I am in need of a case for my resomando, but have not been able to find anything that will fit? I figure I will have to custom build my own?
    Thanks for your support?

There are two companies that I am aware of that make custom cases. I use Cedar Creek, in Virginia. They have a nice product. Ameritage also makes a great product, but their factory is in Costa Rica, so I haven't used them so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Topher Gayle View Post
    There are two companies that I am aware of that make custom cases. I use Cedar Creek, in Virginia. They have a nice product. Ameritage also makes a great product, but their factory is in Costa Rica, so I haven't used them so far.
    Thanks for the info.
    Thanks for your support?

Quote Originally Posted by bdeivert View Post
    I have a Regal Dobro 30's mandolin and wonder about the difference in sound to a new National Resophonic mando?
    I think, with the exception of the first few posters, we have strayed from the OP's main question. I think he is talking about comparing to the new National mandolin not necessarily the vintage ones.

I can certainly say that the new ones sound very little like the old ones, esp the old metal ones. The new ones are very loud but IMHO actually refined in tone as well. I like them a lot, prob more than the vintage ones, tho I don't own a new one and do own a vintage style 2 silver mandolin.

BTW the new ones are not replicas of the old ones, but a modernized design.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

You're quite right about straying, and sorry about that.

The new Nationals may not be that similar to the old ones, but they're quite nice instruments in any case! I'd love to play an old one some time.