Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical Mandolin solo Videos on YouTube

"Eh, fanciul'", said gruffly the Don, "you play dis toon good, I give you... T.S." Patting the mandolinist casually on the back, he added magnanimously, "and you get to drive my Caddy to the garage, too!"

On a more serious note: I wonder whether these links will become harder to come by, now that the complex legal wrangling over copyright protection has begun at Google/MySpace...
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

I would like to encourage —by way of grossly unethical, public solicitation — that our good friend Plamen post a clip or two of his exemplary mandolin-playing on YouTube. The rest of us have much to learn from Plamen, both in terms of quality and consistency; he is also one of the few players I know of whose sheer speed of tremolo never sounds mechanical.

So, ehm... *hint, hint*... Plami?

Hi, Victor!

Thank you for the kind words! However you (we) better learn from people like Richard, Neil, Alex, Ralf, Eric, and other friends attending the classical area of the board who are professional musicians and mandolin players.

Some people say that may tremolo is fine, that`s right. Of course, it could be better, but i`ll do my best for the video on YouTube. I have to do my best also for finding some free time to learn how to operate the YouTube site, what kind of a camera to use, resolution, etc. Meanwhile you can check out this video, which i have posted somwhere else on the board. I`m sure you and the other fellows will be able to recognize the piece despite the mandolin playing!

So here we are - two Hollywood stars - Harvey Keitel and Plamen Ivanov

Grey Zone

Best,
    Plamen

Hi Plamen!
    I'm going to work on trying to view the video clip of you (and Harvey Keitel ) today. #Apparently I'm missing some element of the Quick Time player on my computer so I'll have to figure that out first. #Of course, I'm familiar with your wonderful playing already. #And yes, that is some enviable tremolo you have.

Yes, I am also told that "I am missing a component" needed for viewing. Maybe it's my own, rather SLOW tremolo that prevents me...

Hi,

The Windows Media Player plays it pretty well without asking for additional components, plug-ins, etc.

I could not get it to play on my Mac but was able to play something with WMP. However I did not get any visuals, only the audio (I think).

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Very nice mandolin and piano duo found on Youtube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AE0wKkJV7CE

Click here: YouTube - Joel Mahan & Scott Pratt Mandolin & Piano Concert
    Jonathan R.

"Music is my mistress and she plays second fiddle to no one." Duke Ellington

Hello all,

For those who are interested in a video recording of Calace's 1st prelude for mandolin solo,
    I've just uploaded one at YouTube (a home recording I made in 2005):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALrncsl1lWo# #(also available via my MP3 page)

Best,

Great clip, Ralf! #Great playing and wonderful tone. #Nice to see the Ranieri plectrum in action (or at least glimpses of it through YouTube's pixellation and frame rate).

(The "related videos" window during Ralf's clip also led me to this user, whose 37 videos I hadn't seen before. #That's where the similarity to Ralf's playing ends, of course -- this is a hobbyist playing a low-level bowlback, but sort of interesting anyway.)

Martin

Excellent Ralf! #Beautiful playing and beautiful tone.
    Thank you for posting that to YouTube. #That my open some people's eyes about what classical mandolin playing is about.
    --LInda

Thanks Linda and Martin for calling it a wonderful tone ... obviously you are listening "through" the sound compression of this video: its sound quality is not at all what it should be. For MP3s I manage to get a decent result by using a minimum of 128kbps, but video is new to me ... I need some more experience, and probably the right software, to improve it

Wow, excellent playing, Ralf! I have enjoyed your past recordings, but it's great to have a chance to watch you play!

Wonderful playing, Ralf, as I would expect. You also look so relaxed playing that difficult piece.

Of course, I am studing your right hand in order to find the secrets of the elusive Ranieri pick.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Very nicely done, also quite interesting to see the specific lh fingering at the beginning.
    Robert A. Margo

Wonderful! It really seems like you are playing such difficult piece just to warm up. As Jim pointed - very relaxed playing. I like the middle arpeggio part very much!

Great! Thanks!

Best,
    Plamen

Smile

Hey Ralph,

Bravo! Wonderfully played mate. Really clean with beautiful tone. It is really interesting to see the Ranieri plectrum in use; especially on the Arpeggio technique. Really nice playing.

Chris.......

Ralph`s video made me to take some time off to see how youtube site works and to join. I uploaded the video that i mentioned somewhere above: a scene from the movie "Grey Zone". Some of you will recognize my Puglisi mandolin with the butterfly mother-of-pearl inlay. For the rest - i`m the one with the mandolin right on the screen.

Here it is.

Best,
    Plamen

Wow! Fascinating...and chilling! Thank you for posting that Plamen. I have been wanting to see it for quite some time.
    --Linda
    (Happy New Year to you!)

Thanks all for the nice comments, I really appreciate them as they come from professional mandolin players and advanced amateurs.

About relaxed playing ... maybe easy to say, but that's what's needed to turn notes into music. Usually, if the music - like Calace's music - is well written for an instrument, there are no problems at all, only we tend to create them. Most of the time the problems are just in our head. Once you have the basic skills, you just have to forget the problems, play and let the music speak.
    You know this of course as well as I do, but once in a while I need to remind myself ...

Thanks for that video, Plamen, it really is a nice combination of mandolins and strings, very musically played!

Kudos to both players: Calace made to seem simple (I wish!); and a chilling little bit from the darker side of human existence.

Ralf, thanks for the inspiration! Superb, what else can I say? Wonderful!
    Richard Russell

Thank you Ralf!

...And Plamen! Having not seen the movie, I've only seen old stills from your old site.

Bravo Ralf! Thanks for sharing your gift. Post more solo videos!
    Jonathan R.

"Music is my mistress and she plays second fiddle to no one." Duke Ellington

Ralf's playing is nothing less than absolutely STUNNING. Bravo!

Of course, it... ehm... takes a good deal more than "basic skills" to do what Ralf does Still, most impressive of all is that the music speaks through all the technical pyrotechnics that Calace wrote into this spectacular prelude. For most of us, getting through the notes would have been insurmountable; for a chosen few, the notes are indeed manageable, as Calace's writing for the mandolin is superbly idiomatic; but there are very, VERY few around the globe who can make this lovely but extremely demanding piece "sing".

Ralf is a unique talent, and must be recognized as such. Hellooooo... any impresarios out there?