Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical Mandolin solo Videos on YouTube

That's just amazing -- and postmodern to the max! It makes me want to run home and pop some Italian cinema from the same period into the DVD player.
    Robert A. Margo

I agree Robert. It is an awesome video and finding it made my day.
    Jonathan R.

"Music is my mistress and she plays second fiddle to no one." Duke Ellington

Lovely find. Bravo, Jonathan!

The mandolin-et-al-playing is terrific and, of course, very authentic. I am, however, used to a more "down and dirty" rendition of this song, also commonly known as ti voglio bene, or te vogli' abbene in the dialect. The singer here is too "clean", vocally speaking, and clearly does not speak what she sings. It is also customarily a man's song, as the sentiment is a bit more of a "public" exhibition of over-the-top, amorous abandon than the culture would have expected of (or allowed to) a woman.

Having said that, it is of "classic" Italian State Radio & Television vintage, and I am delighted that you have discovered it. Thanks for sharing! #

It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Yes, lovely clip. Looks like there are two orchestras on stage: a symphony orchestra (not playing, with music stands in front of them) and a separate mandolin orchestra (playing without printed music).

I like the piece a lot -- we play it too. I'll agree with Victor, though, that this singer doesn't quite convey it. There are a surprising number of other renditions on YouTube. I liked this one by Tito Gobbi (no mandolins, though).

Martin

"I'll agree with Victor, though, that this singer doesn't quite convey it."

Perhaps not, but I like the way the singer looks.
    Robert A. Margo

Fabulous clip! Thanks very much Jonathan for alerting us.

John G.

I certainly did not mean to malign the fair Ms. Mazzini. But, upon first impression, she looked and sounded as if she were reading the lyrics straight off a cue-sheet. Momentary Googling only confirmed said first impression: she was born and raised in the Varese province, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up north, between the Lago Maggiore and the Swiss border; obviously far, far away from nutty, noisy Naples.

But local origin is hardly THE defining factor. It is her actual interpretation of the song that is rather precious, rather pristine. The song, au contraire, is a bit of that passionate breast-beating, hair-pulling, shirt-tearing, totally over-the-top expression typical of Neapolitan tenors, who routinely drag their "amorous passion like a chain" behind their aching hearts. Even the most red-blooded Neapolitan signorina would not throw around this kind of sentiment, out there in the piazza, for all to see and hear.

I am also NOT making any broader, sexist remark, but only refer to the self-evident, that we hardly hear male singers in the U.S. singing, say, Gershwin's Someone to Watch Over Me. The "imaginary persona" of the song is definitely a she. There are, of course, countless other examples of this matter of "normal" artistic choice.

Interesting also (to me, anyway): it looks like the last instrument in the row on our left is some sort of liuto cantabile/moderno perhaps a Calace?

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yes, there are certainly several Calace-looking instruments, Jim, although the definition on my screen is not sufficient for me to tell. The Big One you refer to... maybe. Or it could be some lap-held mando-bass-like thing, judging from the sheer size of the sound-box. My impression of liuti cantabili is that they are big, of course, but not ENORMOUS. But I also know that the firm makes a "medium" (rosewood) and a "large" (maple) model.

Also, what I see in terms of actual playing appears to be single-note plucking, very bass-line-like, not cello-like, and no apparent tremolo.

Sorry to be of such little help—#as usual.

Went back and watched again. No, Jim, I don't think so. Somewhere, "middle of the road", you see the mandocellos. They are significantly smaller than this creature, which, as I just wrote, I think is some sort of lap-held mando-bass. It may, in fact, have an end-pin, a "leg", supporting its weight on the floor. I just can't see it clearly in the clip. My $0.02, at least...

Michael Reichenbach

Patrizio - Al Fabrizio - Heartstrings Music - Mandolines de malmedy

Yesterday I had some time to follow the links in this thread. The italian mandolin orchestra from 1967 is a very interesting video - it would be interesting to know which orchestra this was.

The guy from the first video in this thread is named Patrizio and lives in france. He has a french hompage at Patrizio with information about his mandolins and other stuff.

On his homepage he has included links to all his videos on youtube, which are generally in a very poor quality. I would prefer fewer videos in a better quality.

But on his homepage he has a link to one of his favorite videos on youtube, which lead me to Al Fabrizio and his Heartstrings Music (the name can be found at the end of the video which shows a poster). There are two videos, one with the italian "Ritorno al suriento" and another with the godfather theme, both played on the street.

Godfather Theme played by Heartstrings Music

Torna a Surriento by Ernesto de Curtis

More information about Heartstrings Music with a link to the two CDs (with four examples to listen to) can be found on

Heartstrings Music Homepage

Al Fabrizio plays in the traditional italian style with a very nice tremolo, I thik he plays on a Calace mandolin with a scroll. The guitar player, Hugo Wainzinger, also plays very well - I really like there arrangements. I only found one note about Al Fabrizio here - which surprised me a little bit.

Another nice video I have found is a piece played by the

Mandolines de Malmedy

A traditional piece for mandolin orchestra, the text says:

Played the 26th of October 2002 by the Belgian Mandolin orchestra: Cercle Royal Des Mandolines De Malmedy.Tragedie de la mer is a composition of Stephen St.John.the orchestra is conducted by Albert Terf

Hope you enjoy the videos!
    Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by (mandoisland @ Oct. 28 2006, 11:36)
    Al Fabrizio plays in the traditional italian style with a very nice tremolo, I thik he plays on a Calace mandolin with a scroll. The guitar player, Hugo Wainzinger, also plays very well - I really like there arrangements. I only found one note about Al Fabrizio here - which surprised me a little bit.
    Hallo Michael,

Do you refer to this post of mine? I have the CD and I still think that way. It should be noted, that the recording was made in 1998 and the video is made sooner. I have to acknowledge the improvement of Al Fabrizio`s playing.

Thanks for sharing the video of Dicintencello Vuje, Johnatan! Makes me feel nostalgic for the days, when I also played this piece as a member of an orchestra.

Good luck!
    Plamen

First I want to say Hi Plamen!
    I've been enjoying watching the videos. #There is something unusual with the sound on the two Heartstrings videos though. #Were they playing along with their recordings? #The sound is too even for being recorded outside. #When the musicians turn away from the camera there is no diminution in the sound, and take a look about 50 seconds into Ritorno a Suriento -- the guitarist wipes his brow with his right hand but the guitar continues to play....hmm. #Well, that aside, I think they're wonderful clips with good sound quality and nice playing. #Thanks for sharing them.

Quote Originally Posted by
    "...the guitarist wipes his brow with his right hand but the guitar continues to play....hmm."
    That's only thanks to the innovative Automa-plucker ® technology that I have been so eagerly hoping to see further developed, so that I can read The Times during the umpteenth performance of The Merry Widow.

Plamen's social/aesthetic commentary is, of course, right on: many (most?) Italians view the mandolin with this curious mixture of fondness and condescension that either the bygone, or the the narrowly local elicit. You won't find many present-day Italian housewives wielding a mezzaluna, either...

Michael Reichenbach

I have just listened to the 2 heartstrings videos again - it really does sound like they were playing to the sound of the CD.
    Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

I just came across this one of Don Giovanni's Deh, vieni alla finestra.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....search=
    The baritone is Simon Keenlyside....but the mandolinist is not identified. Nice to see a mandolin being used where intended by the composer

These videos are so entertaining, and on so many levels! Going back to the earlier video —the one featuring Tito Gobbi— it was highly amusing (to me, at least, as a bass-player by profession) to see the actor-qua-bassist behind Mº Gobbi, employing what German musicians humorously call Handschuhtechnik, "glove-technique": 100% pawing, 0% digitation. "Alright, kid", said the Director, "and make sure you LOOK like you know what you're doing!"

But I must quit teasing, lest my humor be mistaken for cynicism. I LOVE those old clips, I am delighted to see them, and remain grateful to all those who are kind and diligent enough to dig them up.

Keep digging!

Cheers,

Victor

Sorry, Linda; our posts "crossed", as it were.

Lovely performance of Deh, vieni, good singing, good mandolin-playing. Yes, it's a crying shame that a composer as famous as Mozart still gets short-changed in terms of the required instrumentation.

What surprises me is the number of players in these videos who at least appear to be playing Roman plectra (I am thinking of Malmedy in particular). Can anyone verify, correct, or otherwise shed light?

Quote Originally Posted by (vkioulaphides @ Oct. 30 2006, 14:38)
    What surprises me is the number of players in these videos who at least appear to be playing Roman plectra (I am thinking of Malmedy in particular). Can anyone verify, correct, or otherwise shed light?
    Not that I have any direct knowledge of the history of the Malmedy orchestra, but being Belgian (albeit in a partially German-speaking part of the country), they are presumably to some extent part of the Ranieri heritage, so the use of Roman plectra would not be surprising.

Martin

Yes, that would make sense... By "surprise", of course, I mean a pleasant one. Also, geography apart, I really don't know how widespread the use of these plectra is; that hinges more on the available education. By way of "parallel example", the so-called "French" and "German" bow in bass-playing means more pedagogy than location or ethnic background: the British play "French", the Poles play "German", the Dutch play "French", the Hungarians "German", most Italians "French", NORTH-Italians "German", the Czechs —whose native school IS what is called "German", ehm... "German", the Spaniards "French", the Greeks "German", the Portuguese "French", the Romanians "German", Americans, well... either

I am unaware, that is, of whatever "range of dissemination" the Ranieri pick has had, or has at present.

I didn't see a roman plectrum, only a modern Calace mandolin. What am I missing here with the coin thing? Looks like the mandolinist is the butt of yet another inside joke. The voice is beautiful, honeyed as someone mentioned. The mandolin playing is nice, neat and rather polite but seems to be missing something too... maybe he needed that coin first.

Yes, there is some horsing around going on, but I couldn't tell the gist of it all. Alas, could it be another "insider" joke at the mandolinist's expense?

I must confess that what struck me (shop-talk, really) was that the mandolinist moved his OWN stool. You'd have to arm-wrestle several dozen union stewards to do that sort of thing in most houses I know of.

On second thought, Richard... in the precious few stagings of Don Giovanni that have a real mandolinist —AND perhaps on stage, accompanying the Don— you could conceivably imagine DG tossing a coin to the mandolinist, who could have been, period-specific, a bard/vassal. One would have to know the context of this theater, of the production, of the goings-on...

Yup, that's what at least it looks like: it may be some sort of stage-y carry-over from the manner in which the Don (mis)treats Leporello, and can be presumed to treat his other servants. A wild guess, only...

I must admit that ANY time you put a singer and an instrumentalist on stage, the results are, ah... colorful. I remember performing Mozart's Per questa bella mano (K. 612, for bass voice and double bass obbligato) with Aurio Tomicich. I am actually glad that this performance predated the myspace-era, as there was something inherently, uh... entertaining in the sight of a 300-lb. empty-handed man, next to a 130-lb. character wielding a HUGE fiddle.

Quote Originally Posted by (RSW @ Oct. 30 2006, 15:15)
    but seems to be missing something too... maybe he needed that coin first.
    Maybe it wasn't a coin....maybe it was his good tortoiseshell plectrum...