Thread: electric pratice software?

I am curious if anyone knows of a way to play windows mic input directly out the speakers for practicing. I can do this while recording with Audacity, but while just monitoring it incurs some weird delay. What I would like to be able to do is play my electric into the Windows microphone jack (I have a converter and that works fine for recording sound) and have it play out through the headphones while I am playing a CD or MIDI or whatever (applications share the speaker/headphones by default). Right now I am able to mimic this set up using a tiny practice amp and travel headphones that can fit up next to my PC headphones. So I am wearing two sets of headhones and have two "machines" running; not exactly optimal. The point of this is to practice quietly at night.
    "First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

I was at a friends house a while back playing through his computer. I was experiencing the same thing. He changed some setting called "latency" (I think) to fix it.

Latency sounds right, but I cannot find such an adjustment in Windows dusio settings or Audacity. The Windows audio set up Wizard says there will be a delay in the test screen where both are turned on.
    "First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker