Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WARNING

I have hesitated to do this for some time, but now I must.

DO NOT send money to Darby Boofer as a mando deposit. It appears I have lost a 600.00 deposit for a mandolin that was never built. It has been over 18 months, and he has ignored emails and phone calls.Apparently others have had similar problems.

A word to the wise.
    j pickens

Intially I had very good dealings with Darby on my first Rose mando....but when it came to my second one...what you describe..I can relate to.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

This sounds like an "East Cost" RONO.

fatt I'm-just-a-lurker-on-this-one-but-whew dad
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by
    "East Cost" RONO.
    ? ? ?

RONO - I think that's a reference to Ron Oates, West Coast e-mando builder. The thread on that may be in the running for longest sustained thread on the Cafe.

Maybe you could direct us all to that thread-can't locate it myself via the search function.
    j pickens

Bill Snyder

That's unfortunate to hear. I've had nothing but positive interactions with Darby in the past. If I'm not mistaken, I may recall he was having some health issues...

There is nothing with his health. He done me the same way. I got my money back, but almost got arrested in doing so. Don,t want to go into the whole thing, but do not send him any money.
    John Dudeck

That's a real shame; I hope you get your money back soon.

For what it's worth, Darby built me a mandolin about a year and a half ago, and all of my interactions with him were positive. I'd also heard from a mutual acquaintance that he had some health issues earlier this year.

Blog Entries

I've removed some posts that are simply an attempt to flame the board on tired subjects. If anyone has a beef they'd like to air about how this resource is managed in the future, I'd suggest it be done to me personally. Amazing how brave people are when they're anonymous. There's a subject that appears to me to be of importance here and it's going to be allowed to continue instead of being used to start a flame war about other supposed concerns.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Darby Boofer used to be an active member at this forum and posted under the name "rose#1" You may be able to send him an email from his "Profile" page, which you can access from the members listing (see button at the top of the page).

Good luck.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

As rose#1 was active here, one would hope that he or someone close to him would communicate his situation to this forum. This is a pretty supportive community, if he is experiencing health or financial troubles, he should make others aware of it. With no communications, one can only guess what's going on. Nothing gets folks more upset than holding on to their money with no contact or response.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Blog Entries

I sent him a note at the address on his membership, which has been inactive for seven months. It hasn't bounced back undeliverable but still could, and because it doesn't would not mean it was received.

As a matter of fact I had two conversations with his inlaws
    because his phone was forwarded to theirs. And they were very surprised to get his calls, and, assured me they would let him know I was calling. His father in law is Buddy Davis , a builder of note himself. These conversations occurred after several ignored emails.

I feel sure Darby is quite aware that I have been trying to contact him. I suppose the local authorities will be contacted next.
    j pickens

I also spoke to me Davis. He told me that he really did not want to be involved . I don,t blame him . I think he has had other calls, and has had enought.
    John Dudeck

Just wondering if theres any new news. I do know that the last time I spoke with Darby during last Super Bowl he was in the process of starting his own Home Improvement business..He never spoke of any health issues nor did any of his family.

I really hate these posts that use the word "Warning", although Ashemando was pretty tactful in his wording, not like the other one a week or so ago. I never had any dealings with Mr Boofer. I only read good things about his instruments in this forum. It is a shame that it has come to reading things like this thread concerning him.

This is for 8ch. I don,t know who you are. But I will tell you this. I do know what you are saying, and it,s a shame this had to happen, BUT if someone took your hard earned MONEY, and did nothing in return, and made your life a hell, how would you like it ??
    John Dudeck

i would be very very very very mad:angry:
    I like mandolins.

No. I'm not faulting the reason for the thread, I grieve a bit about what it is doing to the reputation of the bulder. I have never met, talked to or dealt with him so I am not speaking in his defence. It is just sad to see.

glen, i think that any builder who takes money and then "hides' from his customers deserves to have folks tell their story. no one realizes that if you are honest and offer an explanation most people will understand. it is the duck and cover tactic that aggravates the situation. his inability to meet his obligations is not part of his reputation.

i lost a deposit to a guitar builder this way. i still have not received the funds back and it has been close to 3 years. since then he has resurfaced twice, more than doubled his prices and disappeared twice more. i am tired of chasing him.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Probably had something to do with that name... he had to hide!

Blog Entries

I don't know Darby, but I do know from all I read here the last 3 years that he used the Cafe as a forum to promote his building. I think the people who sought him out as a builder did so due to what they read here. Because of that, I think it's very much fair game to post to the Cafe frustrations regarding the "duck and cover" situation that seems to be happening.

Jim

Believe me the issues were carefully weighed before the post was made. I think ultimately we all have a responsibility to each other to prevent further
    incidents. The individual was given many opportunities to
    reply.
    j pickens