Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ludwig Van Beethhoven

giverin, Please add me to the list with all the others that want the tab.
    Thanks,
    Richard

Default Re: Ludwig Van Beethhoven

I play his mandolin sonata, truly beautiful.
    Simon.

BTW this is a 12 year old thread. There are four pieces Beethoven wrote for an amateur player. They are not in the same league as Bach's Sonata & Partitas for violin. More info:

Allmusic:
    In 1796, Beethoven wrote four pieces for piano and mandolin—Sonatina WoO. 43a, an Adagio in E flat, WoO. 43b, and a Sonatina and Andante con Variazioni for piano & mandolin in D major, WoO. 44a and WoO. 44b, respectively. It appears that all four pieces were composed for the Countess Josephine de Clary. She would later become Countess von Clam-Gallas, and it would be in the library of her husband that the manuscripts of these four unusual works would be found.

This WoO. 43a Sonatina is a minor composition by the composer. It is delightful and colorful in its lightness, and, for its instrumentation, it is certainly a worthwhile effort. WoO 44a is a single-movement rondo. The mandolin leads a dashing rondo theme, pausing for breath only in the contrasting episodes. If you didn't know any better you'd think you were listening to bluegrass. The harpsichord or piano accompanies throughout, occasionally imitating a phrase of the mandolin's.
    I agree with Allmusic's comment that the Sonatina is like bluegrass. It is also a good way to work on position shifting a bit in the beginning part.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

For several decades now Frank Wakefield has played the Beethoven Andante con Variazioni (WoO 44) in concert. One nice touch is that he would have the banjo doing the keyboard plinky plinky parts. It appears on his CD Ownself Blues, as a duet with a guitar doing the keyboard part. That CD also includes Frank's take on the Bourrée from Bach's Lute Suite (BWV 996) in E minor.
    Cornelius Morris

I guess this is J.S. Bach. Sorry.

6. The following members say thank you to Elliot Luber for this post:

Little known is the fact, that Beethoven wrote a song originally called "Ode to the Mandolin".
    But back in his days, the mandolin wasn't as popular as it is today, so in order to sell more sheet music copies, his publisher advised him, to give the song a more general title.
    If you want to play this Ode on your Mandolin, you'll find the tabs here: http://mandolintab.org/music/ode-to-joy/

wow, old thread.
    Weber Black Ice F
    Gretsch Vintage F Oval hole
    Washburn A, Oval hole Mandola
    Weber Black Ice F Octave Mandolin

Santiago, thanks for the Bach Partita - wow, just WOW! I now have a very far away goal to strive for! (But I know me, and if I want it I will get there, even if it takes years - and most likely will!)

ludwig van beethoven - dance allemandes WoO 8 - no. 1 (1795) beethoven wrote 12 "danses allemandes" for small country string bands - here is no. 1 and no. 3, played on mandolin. i took a few liberties with the piece - as did country musicians of the day, i would imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na9wy3kGr30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORu68TycwwM

I've been working on the Bach violin partita in E Maj. since last October. It's coming along & I'm having fun playing it: it's all under my fingers and I work on it a bit every day polishing, polishing, polishing. Another year and it'll be ready for public performance.... maybe.

Bach is an amazing composer and a big favorite of mandolin players. I am not sure why this thread on Beethoven keeps getting derailed to Bach. They are composers of different eras and sensibilities. BTW Bach never composed for mandolin while Beethoven did.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Apr-02-2017 at 8:18am.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1