Thread: jubal

I heard there is a story that he invented the stringed instrument...

thnks jacob, that is something to go on...actually a significent reference. I am hoping there is an old hebrewic text that maybe goes more into detail about this? organ in greek can mean any instrument, it seems.
    - the actual organ was invented by a greek named ctestibios around 250 BC.
    my greek mandolin says on the label inside (in greek alphebet) "this organ made by diodinos"

The venerable musicologist Galpin wrote of Jubal in his classic text. Frankly, I think the legend is more hype than history. I'll try to remember to look it up this weekend and give a better representation of the story than would be provided by my failing memory alone.

yeh, I figure most of those old stories are more hype than truth. not enough people wrote back then... it would be cool to read it for hoo has. I like old legends and myths.

one of my close friends just had a baby girl and named her Jubal...taken from Genisis...so I had recently pulled my trusty Bible out, and read the verse...but clearly it is a male reference......they didnt know ahead of time what the sex would be and had picked the name to use for either sex...needless to say, my friends are very musical and spiritual

The Genesis 4:21 reference (but reads "pipe" instead of organ") is printed on a lyre-shaped label inside my Jubal Artist A-model mandolin, made by Aaron Cowles.

I used to have a record by Walt Michael & Tom McCreesh called "Dance like a Wave of the Sea".
    On it there is an original fiddle tune by McCreesh called "Sons of Jubal". The liner notes also mention Genesis and describes the sons of Jubal as "the first men to build and play stringed instruments..."
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I just checked the original Hebrew and the Jewish Publication Society (1962) translation. "...he was the ancestor of all who play he lyre and the pipe." is clearly an literary term where the parts, string and wind instuments, stand in to mean "all musical instruments."
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10