Thread: My Schwab is finally ready!

I bought my Schwab 5-string about three years ago, basically trading a Fender Strat that I didn't like much for it. When I bought it, the first thing I did was to email Kevin about it, trying to find out about its history a little bit.

Basically, he told me at the time that he had built it in 1982 for DAvid Blackmon, Jerry Reed's mandolin player. I've played it quite a bit since then, mostly in jam sessions and a couple times with small groups. It never quite sounded right to me, though. Kevin had told me that Mr. Blackmon had Seymour Duncan pickups installed early on, preferring that sound.

Well, I finally got around to sending the instrument back to Kevin for a pickup upgrade (his Bartolinis) and a refret.

He's sending it back to me next week, and I'm really looking forward to the new sound.

Anyway, here's a pic of the thing after installation of the Bartolinis.

Schwab 5-string No.29 (1982)
    Old Wave C# No.311 (2003)
    Mann SEM-5 No. 60 (2007)

Wow, that is lovely.
    Will Hardy

Ithaca Strings Instruments
    Mowry Custom Four String Electric OM (2 years or so)

Hey Kid, I remember when you bought that. I was eyeing it too. But I already have three Schwabs as it is. All with the old Seymour Duncans. I took one to my local shop for some work. It seems really noisy, like somethings not grounded properly. I'll be curious how it sounds when I get it back. I'd like to hear how you like the Bartolini's too.
    Wye Knot

That's a beauty. I've got a custom Schwab I lucked into as used about 4 years ago (in mint condition). It has the same set up: Bartolini's w/ series/parallel mini toggle... I totally dig the sound, lots of juicy depth...

Lee: Yeah, I remember your response was one reason why I pulled the trigger and got it. It's not failed me since then. The tone was a little thin (to my ears) with the Seymour Duncans, but it was still a fantastic instrument. But, when I played another Schwab (4-string, w/Bartolinis) I was blown away.

I typically only used the instrument on "humbucker", and usually with either both pickups switched on, or the neck with the tone cranked all the way down to muddy it up. It was just too bright. The Bartolinis on the other one gave it a thicker, tougher, more Les Paul-y sound. I'm hoping mine has that when it shows up again.

The only other thing I had him do (besides the pickups and the refret, I mean) was to switch the control plate around so that the pickup selector switch is toward the tail of the restaurant, rather than toward the neck. It was always getting in my way when I played, so hopefully that'll take care of the problem with that.

Kevin's great to work with, too. It was a bit costly for all the work, but I'm sure it'll be top-notch, and it was worth it to have the instrument sort of "customized" for me, instead of for someone else.

Schwab 5-string No.29 (1982)
    Old Wave C# No.311 (2003)
    Mann SEM-5 No. 60 (2007)