Thread: Working on songs

So what songs are you all working on? Who is playing what? How do you practice what you are playing? What are you having fun with......?
    Bill Eberhart

I'm working on:

Douce Ambience (great Django tune)
    I Can't Give you Anything But Love
    Up A Lazy River

and I've gotten pretty good at Autumn Leaves

I've found the most useful way to practice is to play the arpeggios, really drill the chord tones, and then try to play over the changes with some idea of what tones are available/appropriate. #Alternatively, finding the tonal centers of the tune, and drilling the scales so that, again, I can play what fits. Working the arpeggios, both ascending and especially descending has been the most eye-opening (or finger-freeing) technique I've found- but I'd REALLY like to hear about other practice techniques- anyone else??

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Chord melody renditions of popular "Realbook" tunes.
    Goal: 60 minutes of solo music to play in a local coffeehouse at the drop of a hat or on short notice. (Autumn Leaves, Out of Nowhere, How High the Moon, Foggy Day in London, many of the songs listed here.)
    Hope to actually record this month, an MP3 rendition of "My Foolish Heart,"(Washington/Young) and yes, in the mando-loathed key of Bb!...
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by (mandohack @ April 12 2004, 10:26)
    Goal: 60 minutes of solo music to play in a local coffeehouse at the drop of a hat or on short notice.
    Well then a good Inna Godda Da Vida oughta cover it.
    mandollusional Mike

OK, I was going to ask this question on a separate thread but I think it fits here. What is/are the best/most appropriate way(s) to use a "lead sheet"?

For example, I'm learning Autumn Leaves out of the Aebersold play-along book by the same name and Satin Doll out of the Just Jazz Real Book. My teacher, and others on this board, referred to the written melodies as "heads". I guess I'm asking where you go after you've got the melody and changes in the head drilled into your fingers?

I'm not quite as ambitious as Ted. I'd be happy if I got say a dozen Jazz standards down this year. It would be cool if the playing time for each of them were a couple of minutes but at the Aebersold tempo I go thru the head of Autumn Leaves in well under a minute. How to get from there to two or three?

Yes, I am a Jazz noobie. Apologies before hand if I'm bringing the level of discussion down to (or below) the 101 level.

I am kinda ofa jazz newbie too, been at it for about two years.. I think you really gotta learn the chord theory I guess you call it... your teacher should be showing you this stuff...
    please, someone correct whatever I get wrong here...this is what has absorbed into my own head from my teacher, mabye I missed stuff.

there are two types of chord progressions, static, and progressive.

there are methods, mechanisms you use to move chords for each or these movements... typically they both involve some kinda flat fifth resolution somewhere in the chord changs.

like I to IV, you would go bV7, then resolve to V, that should give your bass a chromatic on guitar or mando.those are static, so is I to II or I to m3.

then there is progressive, you use I think the sharp V now, but minor, and resolve that to walk into the V,

there;s more

so from I to II is tricky, many of these intervals are, my teacher told me a "two tone" rule, some teachers disagree ,but it aurally works, so be it. if the chord has two common tones, then use it... but there are exceptions, some half step clashes work, some dont, flat 9 sounds cool, flat 5 imposed over perfect 5 may not float so graciously, unless your stravinsky.

I am working on the old New Orleans standard "High Society". I am learning it off an old Folkways lp by the
    "6 7/8 String band of New Orleans". These guys were phenomenal.The mandolin player plays the role of clarinet in the band. Check em out if you can find a recording....Gary Silverstein

Latest faves:

Little Wing
    Tears In Heaven
    Hey Joe
    mandollusional Mike