Thread: Masters of the Mandolin Book ?

I was wondering if anyone knew the scoop on the Masters of the Mandolin books available through this site via the Man with the Mandolin Foundation?

I order one in December.. and was told they were between printings.. Fair enough but my email inquiry yesterday bounced... so I'm wondering what's happening?

If they're not printing more, does anybody have a copy they'd like to sell?

Thanks for any updates...

I recently emailed her about the book. Mine didn't bounce back but it wasn't responded to yet either.

Same story here. I sent her a check several months ago, talked to her by phone sometime in April and was told there was a delay in the new pressings but haven't heard anything since and my check still hasn't gone through. I'm willing to be patient but not for much longer. I'll try calling the gal again to get an update or maybe have her send my check back.

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

I ordered mine when it first came out; it came in about a week with a nice hand-written note. So I imagine it is just as she says, between printings. It is spotty but has some pretty cool transcriptions.

Worth the wait. Mar West Bush solo, Bobby Clark, Monroe, McCoury, Steffey, Mark O'Connor on Wild Fiddler's Rag, this book will keep you hoppin for years.

Blog Entries

I've emailed her with a pointer to this thread as I know her work address. Her heart is in the right place. If we don't hear from her I'll step up the contact effort.

Thanks for the assistance, Scott. No big issue here - I'd forgotten all about it until this post came up. This is obviously a side-thing for her and, like most people, has a full plate to deal with. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Dear Scott and everyone else,

Thanks for your support and for bringing this to my attention. #I received your note here at work, on Monday Morning, May 22. #I was late to work this morning, just dropped off about 35 books to the Post Office. That should solve some of this. #I still have people thinking that I am a store with a large staff and I had someone insinuate that this foundation was a huge organization that probably kept the majority of the money. #Not to belabor the point, but for those who don't know, it is me, and me alone, there is no payroll. #Thanks for saying that my heart is in the right place, I loved him (Dave Peters) dearly, previous posts explain how I knew him, and I have not gone to commercial publication/production because of Dave's beliefs. #I will check my other email address to see if there is a problem on that end. #A lot spam litters that address and I have deleted a few emails without meaning to, with no way to retrieve them, I don't know of there is a solution for that. #If people contact you, please feel free to give them my work address. #In the books that I sent out today, I did send a complimentary copy of the CD, Art in America. #I was working on an edition of the book which was a scanned colored copies of Dave's original transcriptions but ran into some problems with that, so I went out again to seek a printing company that wouldn't screw the book up. #It is not an easy task. #I have 200 copies now and so that should last me a while. #As usual, I don't believe in cashing the checks until I send the book out. #The oldest orders have been sent out with the checks attached. #Sorry for the delay.
    The foundation also recently passed its IRS Audit as to ensuring that it is a non-private foundation, now I'm weeding through the paperwork to ensure that it can operate as a foreign corporation in Kansas so that it doesn't have to re-establish itself all over again. #I know I'm not the best at all of this, and sometimes I do better than others. #In new news, I just found out that one of the major issues blocking the making of the next album has been resolved. #It will be a double CD of the 3 different tapes that Dave use to sell in Japan. #Not sure of a release date, but I will let you know. #That's all I have for now. #Thanks for keeping me posted. #Thanks for your support and the support of this web-link. #Thanks for your patience.
    Take care, sunnie
    miss sunnie

Sunnie,

You are the greatest! Your labour of love is well-appreciated at least by me. As I said above, you filled my order promptly and with a nice hand-written note. Clearly you believe in keeping this good stuff available for us aspiring mandolinists. Keep up the good work.

I received a cordial message from Sunnie today confirming there are now books in stock (as reflected in her post above) so it looks like things are in the pipeline again.

Sunnie,

Thanks for all of your labors and please let us know when the new CD is available.

I really appreciate the work your doing.

No worries Sunnie - I hope my posts did not convey any harshness or disrespect. I appreciate your efforts to preserve Dave's music and legacy. Thanks again and take care.

Unhappy

Dear Lucky,

I never took your words in a negative light. I know how frustrating it can be. You have every right to send off for something and expect it in a timely manner. So, no problem at all, please don't give it a second thought. This book will always be available, no matter what. It can not go "Out of Print", ever. By the way, there is a guitar book, too. It was never published, but it could be, as it is pretty much ready to go. Do you think there is a market for it? Anyone's thoughts on this would be appreciated.

miss sunnie

miss sunnie

I guess I'd like to know what is in the guitar book but my guess is I'd buy a copy.

I bought a copy of Masters of the Mandolin and a couple of copies of Art in America.

Unhappy

I'll have to get the contents and post them. It is written the same way as the mandolin book.

There is also enough material probably for another mandolin book, but it was in a very begninning stage of production. I've had many people want these transcriptions broken down into categories and marketted that way, in smaller books, more focussed. I've considered that, but it really was Dave's mission to learn all types of music and promote learning all types of music, so I've decided to leave it as that. Any thoughts out there as to this approach?

miss sunnie
    miss sunnie

How much are you offering the Master's OF Mandolin Book for?

Thumbs up

Thanks for your interest in the book.
    If you go to the Cafe Home Page and select Peters Foundation on the lower left column, it will bring you to the foundation area. Masters of the Mandolin will be sent to you for a $38 donation to the foundation, this includes shipping.

thanks,

miss sunnie
    miss sunnie

thank you miss sunnie.

Miss Sunnie, the format you now have is fine for me. I can find the tune or song listed by artist in the table of contents and then by name in the main book. I haven't had any problems finding things. And I very much like the eclectic selection! The only problem is that some tabs are from hard-to-find recordings (live shows) but hey, there are so many good musical ideas there, it's well worth it. To my ear the tabs I've played out are accurate. Of course it's impossible to tab Hershel's "bounce" or Jethro's "swing" or Mon's agressiveness. So we have to always listen to the original.

Looking forward to the book.. and to the new CD referenced.. 'Art in America' hasn't left the player since it arrived.. Thanks for the efforts you're putting into this, Miss Sunnie, and count we'll look forward to hearing from you as things progress.

Smile

Book Update, I sent out another set of books last week, mid week and the ones that I've had the longest are being sent out today. I know that seems backwards, but I wanted to write more than a quick note to enclose with those books. I hope you enjoy the project, thanks for your continued support.

miss sunnie
    miss sunnie

Dear Book People,

I recently received a voice message from Lucky, and he brought to my attention that in his copy of the book that he just received, there were 4, 2-sided pages missing. I pretty much just started crying, but checked the cases and from the 2 dozen books that I checked, those pages were all there. So, I called Lucky and made arrangements to make it right. But for all of you who have recently received your orders, please check them, keeping in mind that some of the pages were intentionly left blank, and some pages share the same number. Like I wrote, I checked at least 2 dozen other books and they were fine. I hope this was just a minor fluke.

Please let me know if you find any discrepancies.

Thanks and happy jamming,

miss sunnie
    miss sunnie

Dear MandoPlucker,

Try this email address: jsunega@kumc.edu
    Email me who you are at the above address and I'll see if I have your check.
    Read the previous posts in this column.
    At least then you'll know what's been happening with this project.
    If you sent a check and I have it and you don't want the book, then I'll send the check back.
    Maybe your book is on it's way.

I don't know how else to address your concerns, but I will do my best. Checks are not cashed until product is sent out.

miss sunnie
    miss sunnie

Dear Mandopluker, JEP et al.,

Not a problem I understand your frustration. I received your email at my work address this morning and I will look into it. Your name doesn't look familiar, but I've had a lot of mail lately, so I'll let you know for sure via your email address.

The guitar book was never actually published and needs some work, I'm not sure how that's going to work, but at some point I'll post a contents list and see what you guys think.

Special note to JEP, if you live in Vermont, your book is leaving here today. I have another stack that is going out.

Also, I don't judge people by their email, I just try to listen and do my best.

Scott is a God-send.

Thanks for your support.

miss sunnie
    miss sunnie

Smile

Dear All,

As of today, all orders have been sent out. I've just dropped off the last pile. If you have ordered a book and you do not receive it by June 23rd, please email me at jsunega@kumc.edu .All checks will be cashed Saturday morning, June 17th. I still have books and will continue to have books.

Thanks for your patience.

miss sunnie

miss sunnie