Thread: Case for Gibson A-1

I just bought this 1914 Gibson A-1 and it does not have a case. How important is it, in long-term value, to find a Gibson case from the same era for it? See picture in next message.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Wayne

Harmony 2point
    Gibson Alright
    Kalamazoo

I am trying again to display the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1914_Gibson_A_1_2.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	15489  
    Wayne

Harmony 2point
    Gibson Alright
    Kalamazoo

I use a TKL Tweed arch top for my Eastman 504 which is the same size as your Gibson. Greg Boyd, their site supports MC, has them for sale in the $70 range The only thing to consider is that they lack much storage capacity.

Steve at Gianna Violins, has some Eastman fiberglass cases if you prefer those.

chuck

Wayne,

It's funny that you bring this up. I too have a '14 A1 that I purchased without a case. At the time I didn't think anything of it as I have it in a case that is probably better. But now I find myself searching the auction site looking for a vintage case so my baby can be whole again.

As for the price, there are more knowledgable folks on here than I but from what I've seen it would probably bump the price up $1-200. I've been outbid twice on cases and both times the case went for $125 or so.

Loren

I think it needs a case, and a pickguard!

My 1927 A came with a real loose fitting cheap case. I have an Eastman case for another mandolin but my A will not fit into the otherwise pretty cool Eastman A/F case. The neck is too short so the peghead is overlapping the narrow neck area of the case. I've been looking too but can't get myself to spend $100's for an old beat up case.

I'm not an expert here but I can't imagine that a case would increase the long term value of the instrument by any more than the value of the case.
    Dan

Blog Entries

I don't think the Eastman fiberglass case works with their short neck mandos. I've asked and been told no. I really wish they did. I would like one of those for my 814.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I think it is more of a saleability thing. #They are easier to sell when everything is there. #But with respect to price, it probably doesn't affect it anywhere near the amount required to buy the case (or pickguard).

Example: $1000 a-model with inlaid tuners, nice case, pickguard and tailpiece. Tuners might bring $600, case might bring $200, tailpiece might bring $200, pickguard might bring $200. How much is the a-model worth without those original parts? negative $200, NOT

Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Thanks for all of the information... it gives me some guidlines.

I am a player, not an investor; although I was taken by George Gruhn's statement, "they are unique among investments and collectibles because you can play them while they are growing in value." The dealer I bought it from told me with a little attention (pickguard etc.) it could be an excellent collector's piece; however, it is ready for the true player right as it stands. It seems like the "little attention" made a big difference in the price. It was $200-$300 less than A-1's or A's that were more suitable for a collector.

Wayne

Harmony 2point
    Gibson Alright
    Kalamazoo

Get yourself a decent hardshell case and don't bother with a vintage one. The contemporary ones -- even the $39 Musician's Friend ones -- are better at protecting your instrument than the vintage ones.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

First I need to say, I do not work for this company and have no financial interest. I found a new case on eBay that fits my mandolin perfectly. It was a fraction of the cost and seems to have more protection than an original case would offer. It is made by Guardian model CG-020-MA.

Wayne

Harmony 2point
    Gibson Alright
    Kalamazoo

I keep my 1915 A in a Guardian Lite Case. It was $29.99 from MF.

My teens A came without a case. I looked a long time for a vintage without luck, before eBay came along.

I bought a Gator case at a dealer that's a long way from authentic. But it was cheap and works great.