Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May 7 cafe get together

I can bring and play an electric bass if no upright players are interested in being at the get together. Just let me know if you want me to bring my electric.
    Ted in Kernersville

OK, here's the directions on how to get to the house. Hope you all can make it. If you're planning to come and didn't say anything here on this thread, please chime in so I know roughly how many to expect. And if you're planning to bring some food, tell me what you're bringing so we don't double up.

From I40, take exit 210 for Highway 68 North. (This exit is in High Point, between G'boro and Winston-Salem.) Go North on 68 about 9.5 miles. Turn Left at the stoplight at Haw River Road. Go 0.5 miles. Turn at the first road to the left, Haw Meadows, which goes into the Arbor Run subdivision. Once on Haw Meadows, go a very short distance and take the first road to the right, Trebbiano Dr, then immediately turn into the first driveway on the left. We are at 7589 Trebbiano Drive, which is on the corner of Trebbiano and Haw Meadows.

From other local points, the turnoff from 68 on to Haw River Rd is about 3 miles South of Stokesdale (where 158 crosses 68), or about 4 miles North of Oak Ridge (where 150 crosses 68).

Ted, I've got an electric bass if we need one, thanks.

If you need some help getting here, email me now for my phone number (it's not listed) and I'll send it to you.

See you on Sunday!

Boy Flowerpot, this sounds like a great time--wish I could make it from Charlotte!

Unfortunately (at least from a mando standpoint), I'll be on the course at Quail Hollow watching 10 of the world's top 11 players at the Wachovia Championship!

Maybe next time, when golf doesn't interfere...
    Chris

I'm your BASS man! I've got a great upright to bring on over (and play), and anyone else is welcome to play it too! I've also got a couple mandolins (Bill Davis A, Old Wave F) that I'll bring over too.

Looking forward to it! I'll have room in my car for 1 other person and mandolins if anyone needs a lift from Raleigh or points in between--John R., do you want me to pick you up on the way over? Seems we should actually meet after the emailing we have done!

Thanks,
    Zack

ps--will anyone have a mando they'd like to sell? I've got a buddy in the market--he's hoping to find something around 1K. I could play it and give him a review.
    Member since 2003!

Sounds great, mingusb. I don't have anything for sale at around 1K, but maybe somebody will. But if you have a bass for sale, I'm in the market for one.
    You could talk to Alan N, who's coming from the Raleigh area.

mingus: I'll be there with two mandolins, and both are for sale. One's a 2003 Silverangel F5, but that's well above the 1K range...the other's a refinished (d'oh) 1921 Gibson A1: the collector's value is shot from the refinish, but the sound and playability are superb, and I'll sell for under a thousand. Don't know if your friend would care for the old oval hole sound, but whatever.

Ted in Kernersville here.
    I'll bring some collards to contribute to the meal.
    Another mandolin player will be coming with me so that's two for the list of participants.
    Flowerpot, did you say this was going to be an afternoon thing; say, starting around two o'clock?

I'm also coming out of the woodwork to attend! This will be a great precurser to the SE Comando Gathering. I'll bring my Bluett F-5 and something to eat. Thanks, Flowerpot.

Best,

Ethan

Charlotte, NC

I'll be ready to start up at 1:30, but I'm sure we'll have folks pulling in at different times. Bring on the collards, that sounds good.

Hey Flowerpot, thanks in advance for hosting! This is gonna be fun!

I do actually have a bass I am thinking of selling. It's a late 40's/early 50's American Standard. Not the easiest thing to play, but boy can it rock if you're not shy with it.

I'll probably not bring that one out for your party, but we can talk it over.

Looking forward to it,
    Z
    Member since 2003!

I would like to attend as well, and can bring my Kimble "A" strung with D'Addario Flat top strings, they are wonderful strings, and bring the Henderson and an old Martin Stlye B. What else is needed in food dept., how about cups, plates, etc?

Can't believe I'll be out of town on Sunday #

Hope this will happen again- I'd be eager to host something in Chapel Hill, if I could get someone like Hans to show up!

Wow, we're up to 13 people plus myself and Hans. So what I really need now is for everybody to bring 40 lbs of Sakrete to widen the driveway...

Plates and cups are not a problem. I've got a 20 gallon cooler for sodas (any requests? Some Mountain Dew to speed up the tremolo?). Just tell me what you want to bring if you want to bring some food, but it's not neccessary. A salad, dessert, veggie tray, chips, or nothing at all is fine.

Oh, if you have a small mandolin stand, or 12 of them, bring 'em. We'll probably have 30 mandolins there easily (!).

And if somebody wants to bring extra ice for the coolers, that'd be nice.

I forgot to add, if you're one of the first to arrive, look for a big white F350 truck that won't fit inside the garage, and that's us. If you're one of the last, roll down your window and listen for 12 mandolins chopping in unison, knocking shingles off the roof.

I like the Flattops too...they're on my Silverangel right now. Elixir lights on the Gibson A. I want to switch to Thomastiks but haven't ordered any yet.

Hey Flowerpot,
    I'll bring a cooler full of ice and some deviled eggs.
    See you sunday and thanks for putting this together.
    Gary in Summerfield

I'll bring something with no animal products that can survive a three hour drive. : )

Flowerpot:

Put me down for guacamole and chips. Tom

hey zack-
    i've been trying to get in touch with you about sunday without any luck. call me at 919-357-4354. thanks, john
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

hey guys,
    really was looking forward to meeting a lot of the NC pickers, but i got wrangled into doing a theatrical production of "Wildwood Flowers" this spring....which means this sunday will be a full rehearsal with the famous "Carter Family". i will play the part of Chet Atkins and even get some lines, but better yet, this is a great production with some great songs...and the actress playing June aint bad eye candy either...we get to sing "You Rascle You".
    they just finished with the Nashville tour and i told them i bet they didnt have a hard time finding a guitar player in that production!
    so i get to brush up on my old time country and fake chet licks. and drag out the old '39 L-5.

funny thing - at the initial get together they had some really obscure radio and old Carter Family cuts i had never heard we were listening to....and i immediately picked out Jethro Burns as the mandolin player - no mistaking his style.

ya'll have fun!

Shoot, that means no nug nug. Oh well, Kudzu, sounds like you'll be busy anyhow. Have fun.

We'll just have to *make do* with the lousy old and new ones that will be there

I'm gonna try to make it. Maybe with Gary S. Thanks for hosting.
    Brad

Thumbs up

Hot Dang!!!! Collards and deviled eggs ---- thar ez gonna be sum sweet toots I mean tunes coming out o Flowerpot's house ---- 30 miles from my home and I'll be in the ER working. When you folks roll through Asheboro hit the horn. Lp

Who is bring the Gas-X ? Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Flowerpot,
    I'm a lurking type from W-S. I'm on call this weekend, but just found out someone can cover for me tomorrow afternoon. So, if it's not too late, I'd love to join in. I'll bring my Gil and something else, and try to put together something to eat(cold noodles of some sort). Thanks,
    Jim O'Brien

I have a chocolate pound cake in the oven right now that I'm going to bring tomorrow (assuming it's edible--I'm hardly a cook.) I didn't know what else to bring, and I had some mix that I got for Christmas and had never used, so I threw it together.

JLP--was it you that I talked to at Merlefest? I think I played your Mowry at the Rigel booth.

Flowerpot--if you read this before it's too late, what town are you officially listed under? I'm trying to get mapquest directions to print off and there were no listings for any of the cities I tried.

Thumbs up

Hello Alex ---- yeah that was me amd my Mowry --- hope you liked it. Its opening up nicely. There is something to that AD red spruce.
    Hope you guys have a good time at the jam today. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce