Thread: southern Applacian music

any one into the music of the southern applacian mountains, the music of england and scottland that was brought over with the imagrints, that and handed down through the generations in the applicians and the ozarks.
    steven shelton

Yepper,

I am into all of that oldtime music and lately, am finding so much material, that I cannot possibly learn it all. I find that I am better at finding stuff than I am playing

We play a bunch of those tunes in our group and are continually looking to add more. Do you have suggestions? I am always looking to learn more.

Harlan

I am in a band that plays mostly old-time for contra dances and other events. That music is my passion. I wouldn't limit the definition to the southern Appalacians, though. Folk music of the British Isles transplanted to America has also flourished in New England, the South, the Midwest and other areas. Each area has its own styles of "Old-time Music" and they are all great.

Hi Harmando
    I found a lot of great music at the public library, I never thought in a million years that it would be such a great source , I live in Portland Oregon and the public library has a great music section try out your areas library. stevenmando
    steven shelton

You're right there's a huge amount of material out there.
    I heard some of the best last Friday night when Tom Sauber, Brad Leftwich and Alice Girrard played at The Camp Street Cafe in Crockett TX.

Hello Stevemando,

I wish I had access to a public library such as you do. I live about 60 miles from the closest one, very rural central Virginia. So I am pretty dependent wandering through the internet in search of material. I have found some great resources online though, if you want to compare what you have already found with what I have, I have just recently uploaded a website for our little group here. the address is traditionalvoices.com. I would love to expand my list even more if you know of or have any more that I have not found. If you visit, stop at the new forum and post a message letting me know you were there.

Harlan

I live in WV, so this is the "genre" of Old Time music that I'm most exposed to and influenced by. Mandolin is a very recent addition to this type of music, and many old-timers (age-wise) don't think it has a place in their music at all. Some of them don't even want any guitar in there either.

But folk music, which is what old time music is all about, is for and by the folk, and I'm one of the folk, so that's that.

What I find cool is to take tunes from other genres and play arrange and play them in an OT style. Celtic tunes ususally translate well, and some instrumental bluegrass stuff sometimes, as well.

There are so many OT tunes locally that I can't keep up with them, so the "Appalachian genre" is further refined to what tunes people know and play regionally. I think it's all good. Give me a Cape Breton tune. Give me a West Viriginia tune. Give me a Missouri tune. I'm game for it all!

Oh yeah....

I always hear that the Library of Congress has reels and reels of traditional American music of all varieties...never been there to inquire.

Hi Harmando
    the internet is a great place to get music and the library of congress to, from another post.
    I just look around on the internet you would be surprised at just how much music is out there.
    went to the library yesterday and spent a hour and a half just photo copying music out of a great book on the music of the Ozarks and I have not started on the the second book.
    If you want give me your address and I will send you some copies of what I have . steven
    steven shelton

I thought this email message and web site reference might be of interest:

"To: fsfassn@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 6:23 PM
    Subject: [fsfassn] archive.org

This morning, I was driving around, as I sometimes have to...listening to WLRN (NPR)...and there was a spot on cool stuff on the web (maybe someone could tell us the name of that show)...and the coolest thing for today was http://www.archive.org/. Holy HOOTIS! Check it out!!!!! (Course, maybe I'm the last person on the planet to find this resource...and if that's the case, please forgive my exuberance!)

archive.org is AKA the Internet Archive - Universal access to human knowledge. Compendium of all sorts of uploaded material (mostly old public domain stuff...GREAT for my taste!) I could hang around in the music department for awhile. Then again, I could DEFinitely hang around in the book department (see Project Gutenberg). But, I'm really itching to get into the old video stuff...old newsreels...Oh heck...just go check it out.

Now, right off the bat, when I went to "Open Source Audio" I found this Fiddlin' John Carson piece (1923) on the hot list. And right above it...Molly Put the Kettle On by the Leake County Revelers (1928). HOT DAMN.

Now, it took me a few minutes to figure out how to download...I have a one-click mentality. After you pick something to download, RIGHT CLICK the MP3 link and SAVE AS whatever you so desire.

This is great stuff, kids! I'm gonna go back there right now. Just wanted to spread the wealth!

Here's what I just downloaded (and the quality is fine...by the way):

Little Old Cabin in the Lane: Recorded on June 13 or 14, 1923 in Atlanta. Polk Brockman ran a furniture store in Atlanta and in order to market phonographs had devloped a flourishing business selling "race" 78rpm recordings. In 1923, Ralph Peer arrived in Atlanta looking for black talent to record. Brockman imposed on him to record local fiddle champion Fiddlin' John Carson. Peer recorded Carson, but was unimpressed and issued this recording without even a label to the Atlanta market only. This first issue sold out and when Brockman ordered more copies, Peer realized there might be gold in them thar hills. This recording is acknowledged as the first country tune to be recorded and marketed on a commercial basis.

Author: Fiddlin' John Carson
    Source: 78RPM>CD>MP3

Molly Put the Kettle On: Recorded in 1928. The Revelers were Will Gilmer on the fiddle, R.O. Mosley on the mandolin, Jim Wolverton on the banjo and Dallas Jones on the guitar. Only Wolverton was actually from Leake County, Mississippi, the rest of this string band was from Scott County, Mississippi. "Molly Put The Kettle On" is also known as "Jenny Put The Kettle On" as well as "Polly Put The Kettle On." It is an Old-Time Southern Breakdown and is believed to have been part of the African-American string band tradition.

Author: The Leake County Revelers
    Date: 1928
    Source: 78rpm>CD>MP3

Not to mention Frank Blevins at the age of 16, the Coon Creek Girls, the Aiken County String Band...and a whole lot more. Say, if you have a wonderful library, upload!

Categories: Music; Acoustic; Country; Old-Time Appalachian; Fiddle Tune; 78rpm

Okay, then...

So...don't let me hear you don't have anything to do!!!!

Cheers!

Elle Hogan, Flying Turtles String Band"
    Mike McManus

Now, remember.. that's Apple-AT-cha (source:nik-a-chick - this Cafe).. hee... hee..

You're right Moose.

People who live in Appalachia call it Apple-at-chuh.

People who don't seem to call it Apple-ay-sha.

Kinda reminds me of Nippon vs. Japan. If Japanese folks call their country Nippon, where the heck did we come up with Japan???

What do you think of the Del Mc Cordy band , heard them the other day on the country music station on T.V , what a great band and the mandolinist ,make you just want to get out and play till your fingers fall off. steven
    steven shelton

I recently saw the Del McC band front-row-center at WolfTrap.

I am unapologetically of the opinion that the vast majority of modern bluegrass is fluffy crap, but they Del McC band is the exception to this rule.

Traditional bluegrass at its best, in my opinion.

Well, I live in SW Appalachians (and you're right, that's the apple-at-chuns) and so I guess it would be obvious that this is the prominant style round here.
    Anyhoo, The old-time music homepage is one of the best sites I've run into. Tons of info/resources/links for old timey stuff. Maybe that'll be of interest to somebody..

HEY riverbliss!! - a great site!! - Thanks for the "heads-up" - Moose.

The music of appleatchya is apples and oranges compared to the del mccoury band. Not to diminish del, but the music of appleatchya is the music of the people, by the people, for the people. del and those boys are high-level sit and listen to me fellers that would probably be lost in an old-time fiddle circle.

If you've got a porch and a fiddle, you've got a starting point. After that, save up for a rocking chair and marry a guitarist.