Thread: Pre-Loar A4's

Did anybody see the 1916 A4 that just sold on our favorite auction site? Went for about $4100. Are these getting more desireable or what? The values seem to be going through the roof. I'd hate to see what a snakehead A4 would bring. I figured this thing would sell for about $2500. Guess I was way off!

Shaun

greg boyd just had a '22 A4 with truss rod that sold for $2450. i think. it was a very nice one with all original parts and case. i think that sometimes things on the auction site go for drastically inflated prices when a couple of people get in a bidding war. witness the '24 A2Z that recently sold for $6600. while george gruhn had the same year and model for sale for $3800.
    the good thing about the old gibsons and the vintage market is that the level of trim has nothing to do with the sound quality, yet the collectors are willing to pay alot more for the A4's than the A's and Ajr's. when i bought my 1913 A, i had the chance to compare it to several fancier gibsons, including a '24 snakehead A4, and mine was far superior in the tone and volume departments. it's still possible to find great sounding and playing vintage gibson mandolins for under a grand, if you don't have to have the fancy pearl inlay.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

I saw that A2Z. That was just crazy money.

Maybe some of you guys can answer a question for me. Is there a difference in the neck profile of old Gibson A's? Specifically between early '20's models and snakehead models?

thanks,
    Shaun

More slender neck on a snakehead..

Sometimes you get a really nice teens A model, F4s with maple backs can really have that mellow tone too. Snakeheads seem "more likely" to sound nice. You really just have to try them.. still some very good deals on A models, even on ebay!
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Wasn't that A4 that just sold offered with a BIN of $6500 and a lot of copy about how great it was and how it was worth any two other instruments? Does that kind of writing actually work? I can't bring myself to do it. I probably undersell my stuff. Maybe I'll try hyperbole when the time comes to sell my 1919 A4.

Does anyone know nut widths? I'm looking at a '22 A4 and a '27 A4. From pictures, they appear to have similar necks. Haven't found a snakehead yet.

I met the 2nd owner of mine,(22A4)at the new weekly jam. he played it gently for years and then , "not gaining much past a couple chords", consigned it , so I could point the soundhole back at him. he does a nice job on brush and snaredrum, and some adaquate piano, though..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Shaun, I can't tell you the nut widths of '20s models but my 1919 A4 has a wide nut - 1 3/16 - and a chunky neck.

I was the high bidder on that mandolin till the nite before. I couldn't believe 2 people put in "I'll get it at any price" bids at the last second. It was the nicest A4 I've ever seen.
    Tom H. Ellis
    Ellis Mandolins
    Austin, TX
    http://www.ellismandolins.com

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (mandorose @ Jan. 10 2006, 13:17)
    greg boyd just had a '22 A4 with truss rod that sold for $2450. i think. it was a very nice one with all original parts and case. i think that sometimes things on the auction site go for drastically inflated prices when a couple of people get in a bidding war....
    I just received that particular 1922 A4 from Greg today, and like it a lot! #Great condition, excellent playability, with a ringing, complex sound. #It has the original frets, filed very low. #It's the first yellow-lined, original case I've seen, too. #

Greg's prices are always reasonable; I like his shop and appreciate his expertise. #I tapped into Dan Beimborn's expertise and several others also while considering this (thanks!).

Dave

'04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

Aahhh, so you're the guy! No sooner than I decided to call about it, I saw it was on hold. I'm glad you got a nice instrument. From the pics, it looked to be in great conditiion. The hunt continues............

congratulations, dave, that is a nice one. i've always wanted an A4 like that one. i've seen quite a few photos of jethro burns playing a truss rodded, paddle peghead A4. i was interested in that one, too, but an emergency back surgery for my dog put any mando purchases out of the question.

somebody just listed another nice looking A4 on fleabay for those of you that have money this time of year.

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Thanks, folks. #The sound of this A4 puts a couple of my F4s to shame. I think I was lucky with the timing.

Dave

'04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org