Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Cherokee Shuffle--Mandolin Project Discussion

Thanks Susanne. I've been really trying to focus on improving tone -- speed still eludes me -- so I appreciate the feedback!

Carolyn

great playing everyone- daspunk -wow what a groove! and i love the dog barking on another cut.
    don't hate me because i don't know this song, but is it bg? should it be played at a fast tempo? it is such a groovy little number. i printed out the tab last night, and just played with different tempos, and other stuff.

also, are folks making 2 track cuts to add in the rythm? if not, how are you doing that????

look forward to responses.
    this is such fun!!!!! thanks to the organizers and to scott for this section of the cafe as well.

Cherokee Shuffle is bluegrass, and as bluegrass it is supposed to be played fast, but of course you decide for yourself what speed you want to play it in.
    To add back-up and whatever you want to add, you can use a multitrack audio recording software, the only one I know about that is simple to use is Audacity (there's a link to the site at the Project site). I have the problem to make the two tracks synchronize but maybe you can work that out. Go ahead and try it - we would love to hear you!

thanks for the feedback. i can get it semi to speed and semi clean, but really think it has a cooler sound when its slowed a little. i love the blue notes!

[QUOTE: "but is it bg? should it be played at a fast tempo?"]

ira,

this is supposed to be (or started out as) a Beginner's project, thus the songs weren't most likely going to get too speedy. #However, some of our beginners are more proficient that others! #

Alan

Alan

ducati08,

just getting around to listening to all the recordings i missed while on vacation. love your version of cshuffle! you have a good tempo going with nice backup rhythm. but, the best part of all is the vocals! whoooof!!

craig

chiro,

nice job putting some swing into this one! wasn't too slow for me. better slower and clean than fast and messy. i remember in one of the woodsongs videos with chris thile he said above all else, beginners should focus on playing clean, even if that means slowing it down. nice job!

craig

dasspunk,

you are definitely on the right track with your playing (IMHO). i like your style and you've got a very pleasing rhythm and tone with this song.

thanks!

craig

Craig,

Thanks! As far as working on being clean, I have been working on jazzmando.com's FFcP concept. FFcP

It has really opened up the whole fretboard and given me a great way to play scales!

Congratulations on your graduation and best of luck in the future!

Eric

Thanks Eric, I've taken a look at that page and it looks really good, I'll do those exercises too. I really need to practice on playing cleanly, especially in chords.

I've finally got around to recording and uploading Cherokee Shuffle. I had practiced the Co-Mando TEF for a while and got that more or less figured out. However, in the end I recorded the Nigel Gatherer arrangement (here), as I found it easier to get an even rhythm and a discernable tune out of that. I've taken it at a relatively slow tempo on the Washburn M3-SW.

Martin

Wow, Martin, that's a really nice version! I wish I had found that earlier! I like your clear tone, too.

Nice job Martin. That is a nice version. Speed schmeed... I don't feel I've learned a tune until I can play it painfully slow.

Are you picking all down strokes?

Susanne, dasspunk --

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I like that version too. I had actually had a go at a third version last week, namely the Fairport Convention version (from their 1973 album "Nine"). The notes for that one are in the fabulous tunebook that is one of the free goodies that come with the recent Dave Swarbrick box set. However, that version has turned out to be utterly unplayable with my modest skills although it is wonderful (and lightning-fast) on album.

Dasspunk: No, I don't play all down strokes. It's down strokes on the quarter notes and alternating strokes on the eighths (barring occasional glitches in the heat of battle). As far as I can tell from recording myself, however, my tone and stress seems pretty much the same on up and down strokes, so maybe that's why it sounds like all-down.

Martin

You have a powerfull upstroke then... great job.

myanocsko,

better late than never is right! good job! very clean playing. i like the double-stops you use, that's the same way i play it, too. what kind of mandolin are you playing on? how long you been playing?

thanks for the upload,

craig

craig,

it was now or never. the mando is my pomeroy a5. not my best version, but i wanted to post something. i've been playing 2 years.......been playing guitar forever though...........thanks for starting this project. it has forced me to learn at least one tune a month!

-m
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Mandobar, nice version!
    I really like your playing! The double stops are great! Really neat ending too.

susanne! you graduated!!! congrats! (thanks for the complements. i enjoyed your version too------onward and upward!!!)

mary
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Thanks Mary! It feels great! And the same day as I graduated, I was told I'm going to be employed permanently at the unit I work at. Permanent jobs are almost non-existing at Swedish hospitals these days so it's wonderful!!

Now my life begins again - I have plenty of time to play the mandolin again!