Thread: Pinky slide

OK, I've decided to advance to the next level from advance beginner and attempt intermediate songs. So I'm tackling "Jerusalem Ridge" from Monroe Instrumentals-25 Bill Monroe Favorites.

I am having problems with the pinky slides in the 3rd part, especially with a double stop. I practice Aonzo scales daily and have a pretty strong pinky finger at the 7th fret for a single note but sliding seems to take an even stronger motion.

How to you train your pinky to slide for a double stop and not mute the string below? The tab requires it done on the D or A string (depending on the note played) at the 7th fret. Are there any exercises for this?

Glenn Nelson
    Las Vegas, NV

"Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and play your mandolin."

I'm not sure what exact pinky slide you're trying to do (don't have the Monroe stuff you mentioned) but for pinky slides in any direction: Support the pinky with the other fingers of the left hand. Don't try to make the pinky work alone on a slide, particularly double stops. #Hold all 4 fingers up flat on the neck right next to each other so they're all one unit; the pinky is the only one connecting the string(s) to the fret; the other fingers are just there for support and to mute the unwanted strings. You'll get a whole lot more strength and control that way.

If you want to keep the lower strings ringing, the above technique absolutely applies. #Have the pinky and 3rd finger work together as a unit in that case. #Principle's the same.

I've been working on pinkie sliding up (towards the bridge) with the ring finger following on the next fret down - imagine an A arpeggio on the G and D strings. I'm working on fretting as straight down as I can to get clearer notes, and like a lot of things, doing it slow at first, relaxed as possible, over and over and over and over...The pinkie on the seventh fret seems to produce a fair amount of Monroe sound.