Thread: Help Converting Electric 4 string To 8 String

I bought one of the Saga Electric IV kits from: International Violin. I've been very please with this kit.

Now for my question:

This kit has plenty of room to add 4 more tuners to it. How important is it for the 2 rows of tuners to be symmetrical relative to the centerline of the neck. If these two rows of tuners are not symmetrical, will this cause the strings to pull on the neck unequally causing the neck to twist or bow to one side. If I don't have to modify the tail to make these rows symmetrical, converting it to an 8 string will be very easy. If there is there anyone out there that can tell me anything about this, PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks
    Tracy

I enthusiastically recommend this kit to anyone thinking of buying one. I also highly recommend getting this kit from International Violin. They have been great in every way. They got it shipped very quickly to me without charging an arm and leg to do so. When I broke a part, totally my fault, I emailed International Violin to see about buying a replacement. Ken quickly emailed me back and told me he would find one for me and get shipped out to me. Thanks Ken!!!

I think it would be wisest to plug the four holes well, put on an overlay veneer, and lay out new holes from scratch using a routine set of 4/plate mandolin gears as a template. You'll then have a symmetrical snakehead which will mean the strings will line up nicely with the nut and so on. Doing it offcenter is asking for trouble.

ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Ok, Thanks Paul!

That's just what I needed to know.

Tracy

Sorry about the link to International Violin. I'm checking into why it has stopped linking to the IV Electric Mandolin Kit on their site. I can't seem to find it again on their site. As soon as I figure out what is up with this, I will post it.

Ken, if you see this post, maybe you can help us out.

Tracy

Hi All,

Just passing along this to you.

This is concerning the Missing "Saga Electric IV kit" on the International Violin, (IV), web page.

Some have had trouble finding this kit on the IV web page and are wondering if they still are selling the kit.

To answer the question, Yes, they are still selling the kit.

I just checked with ken and he emailed me this message back and asked me to pass it along.

"We are out but we have more coming in I hope in 2-3 weeks. We will have them and if they want to reserve one they can email me personally. Please let them know that and also there are only a limited amount due in. Only 30 total. Thanks for your help!!! :-)
    Ken"

Here Is Ken's Email Address: kwise@internationalviolin.com

International Violin Co. Main Web Page

Thanks
    Tracy