Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New tunes up

sbarnes sent me his versions of "Backup and Push" and "Cripple Creek". #It's the first recording of BUP. #Honestly, i'd never heard this song before. #He does a great job with it. #I think you'll all enjoy his version of Cripple Creek as well. #Check them out on the mainpage. #Also, the new poll is open . . .

craig

Wow - I've never heard 'Back Up and Push', either. What a great tune! Nice harmony playing, too.
    Milan

Wow, Fantastic harmony. Thanks SBarnes, I sure hope you record some more tunes with that wonderful counterpoint.

Harlan

Great recordings!

I just posted one on the yahoo group of "old Dangerfield" with mistakes and all. It was my first time recording anything and man was taht fun. I think I'm hooked now. I'll be looking forward to participating regularly with the tune of the month and my own musings.

Thanks,
    Shaun

I uploaded my back up and push awhile back and it was never put up. What's the normal proceedure to get your files put up after uploading?
    Philip Halcomb

flip,

please upload your tune again or e-mail it to me. don't know what happened.

shaun,

got your version of Old Dangerfield up. thanks!

That's a rowdy version of Ol' D, Shaun. Very nice!

Flip, I think I saw your file on the Yahoo site one night, but it was gone the next day. I assumed you'd taken it back for editing or something (not that it needed it.) If that's the one I heard, it was spot on. Try posting it again and let's see if it sticks this time.

Voting's over tomorrow?

Shaun, what mistakes are you talking about? I can hear some unsmooth picking at the beginning but you seem to relax after a while and it all sounds wonderful. Great job!!!!!!!

Btw, Back up and push is a great tune, I've heard it with Hot Rize (don't know who played the fiddle with them), it was a nice mandolin version by Barnes though.

Will do...
    Philip Halcomb

Thanks for the compliments folks. Like I said, that was the first take trying to record anything. Turned out pretty good. The B part is a little choppy and I missed a couple of notes in the C part, but I'm pleased with it. I'm gonna work up Cripple Creek and see if I can't record that this weekend. Then I'll get around to recording some more Monroe stuff.

Shaun

Seems like you've played for a while or have played guitar a long time before, or are very talented. I've played for years but I can't manage to play any Monroe stuff, it's too hard. I maybe could play some of it very slowly by ear...but I'm just beginning to squeeze in double stops in my playing.

I posted my version of Cripple Creek. I've never managed to learn this tune no matter how easy it is, so I improvised my own. While playing, I realized that a Swedish fiddle tune, that I learned last weekend at a fiddle workshop, called Schottis från Grästorp was in the same key and tempo, so I squeezed in that one too.

Yeah, Shaun's a ringer!
    Those two melodies do go very well together, Suz. I'm gonna be hearing that Schottis in my head all day now. Thanks!

Very nice. Back Up and Push is a favorite of mine. I've heard the Bill Monroe version. Does anyone know if it's a Monroe original and if not, who wrote it?
    Just might get some sleep tonight

http://www.geocities.com/tenn_jed_1999/

Bluegrasstjej and latentaudio's version of Cripple Creek are posted on the website and I wish I could make mistakes like Shaun...

Rob

Well I'm still working on my version of Cripple Creek. But I uploaded Amazing Grace and Ashokan Farewell to the Yahoo site. Two of my favorite slow tunes. I don't want to take up too much space, so y'all feel free to delete these whenever you need to. I'm just getting used to using Audacity. Can you record backup separately on it?

Thanks,
    Shaun

Wanna be manodlin player

Shaun can pick. I had the privledge of meeting him and picking together Saturday night and he's good. I'm getting comfortable being the worst picker there
    Ron Lane
    2002 Gibson F-9
    Martin DC-18GTE

Shaun's Amazing Grace and Ashokan Farewell have been posted on the project website.

Shaun, I'm not sure if you can multi-track with Audacity. I've had some good success with a program called 'Multitrack Studio' and it maybe worth checking out.

Rob

And it looks like 'Bonaparte's Retreat' is our next tune. The mandozine version is based on a Chubby Wise setting which looks a little tough, but there is an easier version in the Cafe tablature collection. I'll also try and post a couple of other different versions.

Bonapart'es Retreat Tab

Rob

ok, I uploaded my back up and push to the miscmusing directory. Sorry about my timing issues, it's hard to record a rythym track and then a melody track. It's an art in itself. Next time my rythym guitar player comes by I may re-record it. Thanks...
    Philip Halcomb

ok I moved it in the root dir, the instructions are a little confusing, are we supposed to make a folder for it, or where in yahoo exactly does the file need to live?
    Philip Halcomb

"Misc. Musings" was a good choice. Right where it is will be fine too. They don't always get uploaded to the website right away (pesky jobs and such, I'd imagine) but give it a couple of days and it'll get there. Real nice playing by the by.

Flip's version of 'Backup and Push' has been posted to the group website. (Taking a break from pesky homework....) You definetely need to check this one out...

Usually there'll be folder for the current song of the month. If you're posting a song from a previous month, then it's good to leave it in the Misc Musings folder.

I've also posted some different versions of Bonaparte's Retreat on the website:

Bonaparte's Retreat Short Version

Bonaparte's Retreat Extended Version in D

Bonaparte's Retreat Extended Version in G

rob

Very nice playing Flip!!