Thread: 5 string e-mando bridge

Hi --I just tried to email the guy who makes tune-a-matic style electric mandolin bridges but the email bounced back. Does anyone know if those are still available anywhere? Thanks,
    --Linda

Linda,
    I responded to your email, but thought I'd follow up here for others benefit. You may be able to find a machine shop that could make you what you are looking for. You might also try international violin. There is a thread with a picture of their kit. Their kit uses that type of bridge. You might also try Saga direct, but Ken at Intl' Violin might be your best bet.
    I can't remember where I saw it,the name Atkinson comes to mind, but I saw an ebony version of a tune-o-matic on an emando for sale either on the classifieds or on ebay. It was a great looking bridge. Maybe someone else can chime in with the builders info.

thistle3585, is this the picture you are talking about?

tune a matic bridge

its about a third the way down the page.

No, that isn't the one, but it was identical to that except that instead of chrome the entire piece, less the saddles, were ebony. I believe the saddles were a black graphite or such. Anyone know where Paul got that from? Also, there are several pictured in the eye cand section.

Interesting bridges...I was thinking of the type that the strings attach to but maybe a design that uses a tailpiece would work as well--but then I'd need to get a tailpiece too. The existing bridge on the mandolin is an angled brass bar that the strings attach to. The intonation isn't good enough so I'm trying to come up with a solution that isn't horribly expensive--like having a custom compensated brass bridge made which I'm told would run about $300. I remember seeing a tune-o-matic style bridge several months ago in the classifieds that I'm kicking myself for not buying. I think it was all chrome and it was for a five string.
    --Linda

Linda, is this a Bacorn e-mando by any chance?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

yep.
    --Linda

mrmando, I see you have one as well. Have you had to tweak the intonation?
    --Linda

I had a new bridge custom made: ebony base with a fossilized ivory compensated saddle by Kurt Gisclair at Husky Acoustics in Alaska. Same shape/concept as the old brass bar, but better thought out. It wasn't cheap, but it works great.

Have you tried contacting Roger Bacorn? His more recent instruments have a straight bar instead of angled. Since he must know this was a flaw in his early design, maybe he can fix it for you. It's worth asking him.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Here's a photo of my new bridge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gisclair_Bacorn_small.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	13082  

Thanks for posting the bridge picture. I actually found someone locally who says he can possibly work with the existing bridge--flattening it, compensating it and raising it. I like the idea of having someone local work on it so I don't have to get involved in back and forth shipping in case I want it tweaked even more. I'll keep Husky Acoustics in mind in case this plan falls flat. The adventure continues...
    --L.

Here's a follow up on my electric. Garrett Burton at Classical Strings, Inc. in Milwaukee (ClassicalStringsinc.com), filed the existing brass bridge so that the contact point is closer--that was all the adjustment necessary to correct the intonation. He also made a really nice pick guard. The price was very reasonable, made even more reasonable because I work there part time. I'm not sure what the cost would be for the general public but I'm really happy with the work he did and heartily recommend him.
    --Linda
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bacorn.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	13734