Thread: Fender F

A friend phoned me last night to ask my advice. He has a chance to buy a Fender F-style mandolin with the fancy inlays and a unique headstock for $600 Canadian. I have no experience with these instruments and have no time to try it out for him before Christmas. He has never played mandolin, but is an acomplished fiddle player and does play guitar. What advice could you give him?
    Jim Yates

Not exactly an expert on exchange rates, but it would appear that would be somewhere in the range of 500 US (?). I would think this would probably be a serviceable instrument but that he could probably do better for his money. Fender is a good company in my mind if you're wanting an electic guitar, but mandos aren't their thing. If I'm wrong on the ex rate and it actually more than 500 US I know he can get more mando for the money. I guess if you're into fancy inlays and the like, that might be an other consideration.
    Pat Hull
    "Every hand's a winner and every hand's a loser."
    www.myspace.com/pathullfriends

I #agree with olgraypat. #Your friend could probably do better for $600 Canadian. #I assume it's a private sale (used). #I don't know the model or whether a case is included, but $600 is almost full retail value. #

Fender makes a serviceable 'F' mando with all the eye candy you described, but they don't project very well in jams. #A good violin player might tire of it quickly. #Check out eBay and the Cafe classifieds. #There's a Fender 'F' offered for $350 US in Cafe ad #16445 (roughly $425 Canadian). #That's a lot lower than $600!

As inexpensive Fs go the Fender isn't a bad choice (similar to Kentuckys of the same price). But the same money would go a lot farther buying an a-style.