Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top Fifty-plus Reasons

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

...Why mandolin players take up guitar
    <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(alphabetical order)</span>

1. Duane Allman
    2. Junior Barnard <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Bob Will & Texas Playboys)</span>
    3. Jeff Beck
    4. Chuck Berry
    5. Dan Ar Bras <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Alan Stivell)</span>
    6. Paul Burlison <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Johnny Burnette Rock N Roll Trio)</span>
    7. James Burton
    8. Randy California <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Spirit)</span>
    9. Martin Carthy <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(solo, Steeleye Span, Albion Country Band, Waterson-Carthy)</span>
    10. John Cipollina <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Quicksilver Messenger Service, Copperhead, Raven)</span>

11. Eric Clapton
    12. Charlie Christian
    13. Eddie Cochran
    14. Ry Cooder
    15. Steve Cropper
    16. Jerry Donahue <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Hellecasters, Fairport Convention)</span>
    17. Nick Drake
    18. Dave Edmunds
    19. Robert Fripp <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(King Crimson)</span>
    20. Rory Gallagher

21. Jerry Garcia <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Grateful Dead)</span>
    22. Dick Gaughan <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(solo, Five Hand Reel)</span>
    23. Billy Gibbons <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(ZZ Top)</span>
    24. David Gilmour <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Pink Floyd)</span>
    25. Peter Green <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(original Fleetwood Mac)</span>
    26. Jimi Hendrix
    27. John Lee Hooker
    28. Eric Johnson
    29. BB King
    30. Mark Knopfler <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Dire Straits, Notting Hillbilies)</span>

31. Albert Lee
    32. David Lindley <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(El Rayo X, Jackson Browne)</span>
    33. John Martyn
    34. Curtis Mayfield
    35. Tony McPhee <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Groundhogs)</span>
    36. Wes Montgomery
    37. Jimmy Page <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Led Zep)</span>
    38. John Renbourn <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Pentangle, solo)</span>
    39. Don Rich <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Buck Owens & the Buckaroos)</span>
    40. Don "Buck Dharma" Roesser <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Blue Oyster Cult)</span>

41. Carlos Santana
    42. Brian Setzer <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Stray Cats)</span>
    43. Steven Stills
    44. Richard Thompson <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Fairport Convention, solo)</span>
    45. Pete Townsend
    46. Robin Trower
    47. Stevie Ray Vaughan
    48. T-Bone Walker
    49. Joe Walsh <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(James Gang, Eagles, solo)</span>
    50. Muddy Waters

51. Clarence White <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Nashvile West, Byrds electric, Kentucky Colonels, Muleskinner)</span>
    52. James Calvin Wilsey <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(early Chris Isaak albums including the song "Wicked Game")</span>
    53. Howlin Wolf <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(& Hubert Sumlin)</span>
    54. Link Wray
    55. Angus Young <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>& Malcom Young (AC/DC)</span>
    56. Neil Young
    57. Frank Zappa

Trey Anastasio.... (Phish)

court-ordered pre-frontal lobotomy...
    Forget with the cowbell, already...

thurston moore
    d. boon
    tom verlaine
    tony iommi

Quote Originally Posted by
    court-ordered pre-frontal lobotomy...
    And this is coming from a guy who is into playing blues guitar licks on the electric mando (if memory serves correct)?....... (and who has the tag-line of "For the last time, it's not a ukelele..." to boot)

Now, if I'd posted in the Bluegrass, Newgrass, Country, Gospel Variants area, I'd expect this sort of comment, but if you look again, you'll notice it is the Rock, Folk Rock, Roots Rock, Rockabilly section.

So what particularly is so "lobotomizing" about the idea of no longer, continually, beating your skull against a wall (now that'll give you a lobotomy) trying to give that "ukelele" some legitimacy or credibility somewhere beyond the haybales where it doesn't have much of either?

NH

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>"I see the light....and the light is very bright!" - Michael Hurley, back cover of the Blue Navigator album jacket.</span>

This thread should be titled Why ANYBODY takes up guitar.
    Less talk, more pick.

"Get your money for nothin' and your chicks for free."

So what particularly is so "lobotomizing" about the idea of no longer, continually, beating your skull against a wall (now that'll give you a lobotomy) trying to give that "ukelele" some legitimacy or credibility somewhere beyond the haybales where it doesn't have much of either?
    Isn't legitimacy or credibility what you make of it? It's a shame there's not more rock mandolin, but that doesn't stop me from continuing to enjoy playing it. I like to think that the (e)mando sound is persuasive to those who aren't familiar with it. I've been thinking lately about picking up the electric guitar as well, but as an augmentation not a replacement. The instrument selection is sure easier over there though, and the haybale thing is not my style, so I am very sympathetic.

Best regards,
    JMK

Isn't legitimacy or credibility what you make of it?
    No, it's what others make of it.

Hey, I like playing mando; I've done it for 30+ years. But it would be 10 times less hassle to play (out) the rock stuff in the role of a half-assed guitar player. And I'm not talking about the technical difficulty of pulling off guitar stuff on a mando neck (twice as hard as doing it on a guitar). It's having to put up with all the BS from other players who are so rigid that everything has to be done with the same instrumentation as the record, or are threatened by another instrument encroaching on their "turf".

Or players of genres (where mando is a mainstay) who have a problem with the unholy & wayward musical choices being played on one of "their" instruments, and is dismissed on those grounds.

Well, I'm finally cured of any irrational allegiance to any particular instrument. I may as well play all those guitar lines on a guitar (or viola, or flute) instead of a mando and save myself a lot of hassle and grief. In retrospect, should have done it 15 years ago. Too damn stubborn I guess, but I've finally wised up.

NH

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Too bad Monroe never made the switch to over fiddle, or guitar, since that was what he evidentally wanted to play in the first place. Stayed with the mando for spite cause that was what he got stuck with by default when he was a kid. Guess he never could get past that trauma.... all his fiddle players that worked for him said he really was a fiddler at heart.)</span>

Nice list, and a special shout-out for the following nominees:
    Allman
    Cooder
    Lindley
    Fripp
    Gibbons
    Gilmour (Can you think of an unmemorable Gilmour solo? I think not!)
    Zappa, and his SG
    Page
    Stevie Ray

Plus, I would like to offer the following additions to the list:
    Bonnie Raitt, for her melodic slide work
    Tommy Bolin (RIP; worked with Zephyr, Moxy, post-Walsh James Gang, post-Blackmore Deep Purple, and two great solo albums)
    Marc Bolan (RIP; T Rex)
    Adrian Belew (King Crimson, solo artist, David Bowie)
    Terry Kath (RIP; original Chicago guitarist, who could make that SG soar)
    Jack Johnson (he might not go down in history as a great guitarist, but I love his rythmic style -- makes me want to head down to the beach with a beater 6-string for an all-night Koom Buy Yah (sp.) session with friends)

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Jorma Kaukonen could certainly be added to this esteemed list.

Just for the record, I WAS JOKING. I'd play guitar if I could. It was sorta like a banjo joke. I'm sorry if it ticked anyone off. If I could play as well as Niles I'd be out on the road instead of lurking around here. Oh, and it kind of had a halloween thing too. Sorta.
    If I could add Scotty Moore to the list (since James Burton is on there), in all seriousness, I would.

Ok..so why do guitar players take up mandolin? I played guitar long before mandolin. And, also, Doc Watson should be on the list.

Oh yeah, Billy Zoom (X)

A couple of Steves...
    Steve Morse
    Steve Ferguson (original guitarist for NRBQ, with two excellent solo discs in recent years, Jack Salmon With Derby Sauce and Mama U-Seapa. And speaking of the Q, Al Anderson is no slouch himself)

David Hidalgo (Los Lobos)
    Danny Gatton
    my friend Gary

Didn't see Randy Rhodes or Dimebag Darrell? Maybe too metal...good topic though...
    PeacE
    Brian

niles, it pleases me no end to see that you put junior barnard at the number 2 spot on your list. what a great and wild guitarist he was, and certainly one of the unsung fathers of rock guitar.
    i'm assuming that you didn't mention django because this is a "rock guitar" discussion. how about danny gatton, bill kirchen, and redd volkert?
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Quote Originally Posted by (dave g @ Oct. 29 2005, 18:27)
    A couple of Steves...
    Steve Morse
    Steve Ferguson (original guitarist for NRBQ, with two excellent solo discs in recent years, Jack Salmon With Derby Sauce and Mama U-Seapa. And speaking of the Q, Al Anderson is no slouch himself)
    Another Steve: Vai. Anybody who can impress Zappa has to have some validity. See also: Mike Kennealy, Warren Cuccurillo, etc...

Also:

Joe Satriani
    John Petrucci
    __
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

Prescott, AZ

wow- was not expecting such an angry/bitter thread. to each their own- i wish you well, but should we now refer to you as guitarcrucian.

as for my own opinion (and yes, once again, this is opinion), though i love the playing of all of those guys, and yes it is different trying to play many of their tunes on mando, and also yes, i might pick up the 6 string at somepoint for fun. i will keep playing rock on my mando, and even if i play those gentlemen's tunes, i wont try to sound like them. you are correct imho niles in that if you are trying to sound like a guitar, pick up the instrument and play it. if you are trying to play songs you like and like the sound of a mando in that tune, sometimes filling the role of the guitar, even if it doesn't sound just like it, then play the tunes and enjoy!

when i play a rock or pop tune-e.g., steve miller "the joker" i play that initial riff, same notes as the orig, but i'm not trying to sound like a guitar or bass, just playing the tune, and it sounds good, just different- same role different sound. if i wanted to sound just like the album as i said- i'd get that instrument.

peace all,ira

Heh,

I think I went the wrong (right?) direction for this thread, as I played guitar for almost 15 years before mandolin... My direction on the mandolin has sent me back to guitar more than once... I find it easier to convert guitar licks to mando by actually learning the guitar part first...

Dave
    1984 Flatiron A5-2
    1930 (?) Regal Tenor

Toil without song is like a weary journey without an end.
    H. P. Lovecraft

Lowell George....

Shawn Lane
    Roy Buchanan
    Jimmy Bryant
    Joseph Spence
    Joe Diorio
    I laid the tracks, never rode the train.

I read in Niles' last message that he laments not sticking to guitar, that guitarists are perhaps more marketable (employable) than mandolinists, and that loyalty to any given instrument is unnecessary (if not downright counterproductive).

I can't argue with any of this, except to say that Niles has proven that quality sells, integrity counts for something, and you can make a market for yourself doing almost anything, even playing mandolin.

Guitarcrucian, indeed, Ira.

Follow your bliss,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

Quote Originally Posted by (RolandTumble @ Oct. 31 2005, 12:21)
    Lowell George....
    Good catch, Roland.

Ooops -- and don't forget Johnny Winter.