Thread: crosspicking chords

Is there a science to selecting the chord form and roll pattern for cross picking chords? I have mostly been using a standard (if there is such a thing) forward roll on the common (again, if there is such a thing) open chords. Some times it sounds great (open G and open C alternated for example), sometimes just okay and sometimes not so good. Do you just try different forms and rolls until you find one that sounds best or is there a method to the madness?
    "First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

I don't use cross-picking patterns much but I believe
    they work best when introducing higher intervals
    (9th, 13th) or a high drone, like the
    5th string on a banjo, or dissonace, such as the minor and major third, and sixth, in one roll.

To my ears (or, rather, in my hands)
    a backwards roll (D-U-U) usually sounds best.

Acoustic blues rhythm is primarily what I am trying to do, if that makes any difference. I have definitely noticed that for GCD, the chop style C and D sounds better than the open and for just about any form of any chord, when I add the 7, it seems to work best on an inner string, if that makes any sense.

I have also played some general folk acoustic songs along with a guitar and that seems much simpler; you can almost do no wrong holding a major chord and picking pretty much any string on each beat.
    "First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

I do the DUU very often using the open E or open A as a high drone. With crosspicking, I think it is good to experiment and see what sounds good. If you just get a standard roll going with standard chords, it's OK for a measure or two, but it starts to sound mechanical pretty quickly. If I am going to play a roll for a while, I like to vary it. I will "swing it" by "dotting" one of the the notes and letting it ring a little longer and then making up the time on the other two notes. or some other timing variation like that. I will also sometimes alternate bass notes on the roll.