Thread: emando sound

if a 5 string electric solid body emando such as a Ryder EM-45 has the gain cranked up on the amp, does it have sustain almost like a violin?? cuz once i get my ryder, i was thinking of playing the soloes of "American Woman" by 'THE GUESS WHO'.

I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with the song and band..you must be! they are from my home city Winnipeg!

but anyway their famous song called American Woman, has guitar soloes in it with crazy sustain..almost like a violin and its in the range of a 5 string emando. i don't know much about effects...is it possible with the emando? if so, what do you adjust? the gain? Also, what pickups work best for that ability? dual humbuckers? dual stacked Humbuckers or dual single coil?
    dad tell me, will i be dead very long?

It depends on the instrument, its pickup, the amp in question and where you stand/sit in relation to the amp.

You will want hot pickups or a distortion pedal.

what sort of amp? what do you mean by 'hot' pickups?
    dad tell me, will i be dead very long?

When I mentioned 'hot' pickups I was refering to their impedance. More often than not if a pickup has more wrappings around the magnet it will produce a stronger signal when the magnetic field is interupted by a string.

The tone your refering to can be generated by using a pickup with an amp that is loud enough to make the string continue to vibrate. You are creating a loop that is driven by the string moving through a magnetic field which create a signal that is amplified by the amp and converted to sound by the speaker which drives the string through the magnitic field which........... you get it.

"Which amp?" - try any amp designed for electric guitar. (sorry, I don't have any specific suggestions.)

I still think you can get the sound you want with a distortion pedal. Go to a store that sells electic guitars and amps and tell them you want to get a tone like the one in American Woman and they will know the song your talking about.

Good luck.

I play my Kentucky 4 string emando (with a newly added Duncan twin blade strat pickup of some sort) through a pair of tube screamers into a simple Fender solid state amp, and it sustains like crazy. Mostly, it's a high gain, electric guitar thing--my Tele sustains the same way through the same rig.

That pickup (in place of the stock lipstick) is far hotter than stock, but even with the stock pickup I could get good sustain. Just gotta turn it up...

-Drew

Andrew Frink
    Phoenix Bluegrass, '23 Gibson A Snakehead, Clark octave coming soon

I love the Guess Who! I particularly like the electric guitar sound on 'No Time.' The choice of amp, pickups and player's touch all have a lot to do with the sound that ultimately comes out of the speakers. If you want to hear really 'heavy metal' mandolin- one word-'Maestro' come to mind. Need I say more?
    http://www.sojournerrecords.net
    Check out the Michael Lampert Schwab Mandolin

Here's the ticket: Tube screamer distortion pedal w/ MXR Dyna Comp compression pedal = TONS OF BEAUTIFUL SUSTAIN!
    Go online and read about the Dyna Comp. It works great for nice clean lead work as well. I rarely even turn it off.

I don't know about your particular instrument.....BUT

I just fondled a Mandobird-8 today, unplugged. The sustain was incredible. I wondered why someone would want one, other than the rad looks. Now, I can certainly see a reason why. As long as the electronic are comsensurate, I suppose.

I thought the neck felt great. Beefy in feel with a nice fretboard radius and the large frets that seem to be all the rage right now.