Thread: Sheppard mandolins

Anybody know anything about this builder? This one on Ebay looks like a good deal.Click here.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve Bauer
    Daphne Alabama (near Mobile)

Yes. Looks like a good deal. Check out his web page--there are photos of this mandolin being built. Note the shape of the top--it's carved sort of like a very old Gibson A, a deep oval, but with a strong rib running up to the scroll. That's pretty unusual and might yield an interesting sound. Notice also, though, the two detailed shots of the wood on the side of the scroll. It's an unusually wide scroll, and he has beefed up the curly maple side of the scroll with two strips of non-matching wood. Not as pretty as one might hope. It has a "hand-made" look, but not yet a first-class "hand-made" look. Still, it's the sound that matters. I'd like to hear it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by
    It's an unusually wide scroll, and he has beefed up the curly maple side of the scroll with two strips of non-matching wood.
    I may be completely wrong here, but it's my understanding that those "two strips of non-matching wood" are actually the top and back simply showing end-grain. You can see the amount of carving involved. The scroll is not actually "beefed up" as it appears. I spoke with a local luthier, Jim Shenk, about this same appearance on his instruments. Apparently, the scroll is usually heavily sprayed on many F-style instruments, so the top and bottom end grain do not show through. When stains are light and hand-applied, the seams are visible instead of hidden.

If there are any luthiers out there with other info, please chime in!

-Phil

I'm kinda wondering why somebody hasn't scarfed this one up yet. I have had my finger on the trigger a couple of times, but just can't quite do it. The price seems very good for an F mando, but apparently nobody knows this guy...or they're just not speaking up. I emailed him twice (once from here, and once from his website) but have gotten no response. This also makes me kinda leary about pulling the trigger. $1450.00 is just not disposable cash for me.
    Thanks for you guys' input.

Steve
    Steve Bauer

I musta missed that he had a 7 day trial. I just saw that.
    Hmmmmm....well...here goes....maybe. Anybody want to buy my Absaroka?

Steve
    Steve Bauer

Good luck. Some on the board have taken risks and ended up with early Driftwoods, BRW's, etc. Some have ended up with some fancy wall art...
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by (PCypert @ Sep. 25 2005, 21:54)
    #Some have ended up with some fancy wall art...
    Paul
    OUCH!!!! I think I'll hold off.
    Steve Bauer

Come on do it. Us that have mandolins live vicariously through you guys. If you don't take the risk how can we enjoy it? I don't know if anyone's gotten a 2K wall hanger. Maybe a couple, but it can't be all bad. At most you'll take a hit for a couple hundred, but if he has a seven day policy you can't really lose unless he's a liar.
    Paul

I'm certainly not going to criticize someones craftmanship or the sound of a mandolin, but I suspect that the mandolin is worth about what is being asked. #I have seen several of them and quite frankly did not pay a lot of attention, as I was looking for something a little different. #From what I saw, the mandolin appeared to be well made but was lacking some of the finer "detailing" of more expensive mandolins.

Personally, I think there is a "price point" where you expect a mandolin to not only sound superior, but also reflect a craftsmanship that is near "flawless". #That "price point" has been creeping up over the past few years and this mandolin does not approach the point.
    Linksmaker

Steve, I would be very cautious here, in view of the fact that the seller has not responded to your requests for information. What recourse would you have if there were construction failures with the instrument down the road? As you have stated, $$$ do not grow on trees down here in this climate and you might be far better off by saving this money for a future purchase on a mandolin by a well-established builder. You are blessed to have a very good instrument in your Absaroka, but might find yourself in possession of a "trainwreck" later on. Tread carefully, my friend!

Just thought I'd let y'all know that Darrell DID respond to my messages. The messages weren't going to my home email, but to my Ebay message center, which I haven't paid attention to for the past few days.
    He gave me his phone number, and I plan on calling him tonight.
    Thanks for all your help.

Steve
    Steve Bauer

Did you see the blonde for sale on his web site?! hubba hubba!
    Phyn

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

Okay, I wasn't going to post on this but I feel I probably should after that last post by Ken. #First of all, I am not best of friends or anything with Darrell Sheppard but I do know him well enough and I think you should know that he would never cheat anyone! #The guy is a police officer for God's sake! #I am also pretty sure he is only selling the mandolin so cheap because he had to have major back surgery a month or so ago. #From what little I do know of his mandolins they do sound pretty nice and they are pretty good on the workmanship. #I know thye will get better with time as do most newer builders. #I think you would be getting a steal for the price he is asking. #I think the price is so cheap because a lot of people don't know who he is yet as a builder.

If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

mandoJeremy, Thanks for speaking up about your friend and his work. I don't think I was bashing him or his mandolin, just looking out for my friend with some sage advice. You must remember that this subject sat idle for several days, without your input, which would have avoided most of this commentary. Looks like Steve's concerns will be put to rest, at last.

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

I didn't think you were bashing at all. I just didn't give my input because I don't want to appear to be pushing a certain type of mandolin or anything, which a lot of people do on here. Like I said, he is not my best friend or anything...I just know who he is and have spoken at length with him a few times and checked on his mandolins at one point. Not a big deal.
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

mandoJeremy, Thanks for your responses! I have no doubt that your input is of value to Steve and I am sure that he will be more comfortable in giving this mandolin a try. He is a good picker (mandolin and guitar) and singer, as well; part of neat local band.

I spoke with Darrell tonight.....He is not well known ( YET ) and is trying hard to get his name out there ....He is making Mando's on the side .... The model on Ebay went cheap as he said that the tone was not as good on that particular model as his other models sound even better ....This is not to say that it is a bad sounding Mando.....It's just that the others are "killer" sounding...
    The other two that are available are for sale at $2500 , which is getting closer to the price that they should be seliing for in his opinion .... He has a connection in Virginia where he is getting some really nice 20 yr old Maple for his instruments .... #Besides the craftsmanship , aged wood doesn't hurt either ... #I think that he's someone to keep an eye on .... These #might just turn out to be some serious instruments.....Jim

Default Re: Sheppard mandolins

Any updates on his mandolins? I just watched his Youtube playlist of builinging a mandolin start to finish. Pretty interesting and educational watch.

The one in his video is #25 and he has #32 available on his site

Quote Originally Posted by haggardphunk View Post
    ...I just watched his Youtube playlist of builinging a mandolin start to finish. Pretty interesting and educational watch...
    "Building"?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    "Building"?
    How auto correct came up with that is beyond me

21. The following members say thank you to haggardphunk for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by haggardphunk View Post
    How auto correct came up with that is beyond me
    I was fearing some kind of mandolin bulimia…

Apparently Builinging is a town in Germany, and its name has seeped into the Autocorrect glossary.

I did a Google search, and "builinging" showed up frequently -- mainly, it seems, when Autocorrect throws it in to replace "building," if I'm correctly inferring from contexts.

Computers -- ain't they wonderful? But also saboteur-ish, sometimes.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

enough about autocorrect lol

anyone get their mitts on a Sheppard?

I was just watching his videos. The videos just stopped before number 25 was finished. I tried to check him out on the web. There is a website listed as his "new" site but it's not working now. I can't find anything more recent than a few years ago. His Facebook business page was last updated in 2012.