Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charango

I'm a guitar and mandolin player, but after a trip to Peru last year, I've developed a fascination with what is known as the "mandolin of the Andeas".

While similar in size, it has 5 pairs of strings with a strange tuning. All pairs are tuned in unison like a mando, except for the middle pair which are an octave apart.

The general shape is bowlback, most modern charangos being made of wood. However the original charangos were made using an actual armadillo shell:

Charango Photos

I curious if anyone here has ever played one, or actually purchased/own one? I'm headed back to Peru later this year, and want to purchase one. However I have no idea what features to look for, or what might seperate a good quality charango from a piece of junk. I certainly won't be able to play it, since I have no idea how to do so, so it will be a bit of a gamble insofar as playability testing goes. I will likely ask somebody there to play them for me and I'll try judge the sound based on my "untrained charango ear."

If anyone has purchased one in South America (and I know it's probably a longshot), how much did you pay?

Thanks.

Kaz
    -- "Taught myself to play so I could be where people dance" - Jim Cuddy

I have an OK one. It beat me up pretty badly. I have the instructions somewhere, but could never get the hang of it. NOw a shop ornament! I think my parents paid about $40.
    Stephen Perry

There has been rather a lot of previous discussion on charangos on the Cafe, and if you do a search "from the beginning" in all forums, you'll get loads of pointers on instruments, playing styles and repertoire. For what it's worth, Cafe member Bill Kilpatrick plays the charango and may chime in here.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by (KazKru @ Aug. 25 2005, 05:54)
    While similar in size, it has 5 pairs of strings with a strange tuning. All pairs are tuned in unison like a mando, except for the middle pair which are an octave apart.
    It's more or less like ukulele tuning, with an extra E thrown in, and the middle E is in octaves, like you say. Lots of people here in the Cafe play charango.
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

You might want to check out
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/frettedfriends/

NH

I have bought two charangos in South America -- actually, I have never been there myself bought had a friend buy the first one 15 years ago for about $40 (which I think was 92,000 pesetas or something like that #)

This one was, well, worth about $40. It was an authentic armadillo shell instrument and the poor little critter couldn't take the string tension. He now adorns the wall of my studio.

My next charango was bought for me two years ago by one of my Peruvian students. On the conservatory's winter break she went home to Peru and I asked her to get me one. This cost me $65 (1,300,000 pesetas -- just joking...)

Anyway, this is a much finer instrument. The bowl is carved from a single piece of wood. It required very little in the way of setup and came with a "muy tipico" colorful case.

I have been playing charango for about 15 years. It is played with the fingers - not a pick. I learned some from method books that my friends and students brought back for me. But the best information I got was from a Bolivian musician I met at a festival that we were both performing at. He showed me the basic strums and technique and we played together for an hour or so.

At the time I had no Spanish and he had no English. It was a great experience.

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

Hey there Kaz,

I posted something a few weeks back on this same exact subject. #A gentleman from our church choir told me his son bought one of these recently and he knew nothing about it. #It is one of the ones that was made from armadillo.

I also posted the same exact link from Argentina. #The Spanish language page, in my opinion, has more detailed information than what I have seen on any of the English language pages.

I did come across another link from the UK with some samples of charango instrumentals. #It has a very pretty sound.

I would like to get one of these, however I feel that my mandolin practicing needs to take place front and center for the time being.

Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

I believe the armadillo ones are mostly sold to tourists for decoration. It may have been the traditional way of making them way back when, but these days nobody would make one like that for playing.
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:

Oh, and charango is used mostly for strumming chords (though some people use it for melody). The melody is usually sung or played by the quenas (vertical notch flutes) or zamponas (panpipes). The strumming uses a technique similar to "rasgueado". The best is to listen to some Andean bands to see what it sounds like.
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:

"I believe the armadillo ones are mostly sold to tourists for decoration."

I've got a couple armadillo charangos, and one of them, from Equador I believe, is a great instrument.

Apparently the ones made from orangewood are the ones to get...

I ran into a fellow at a NAMM show one time who was just ripping on a charango, playing tunes like "Tico Tico" and the like...
    Just an amazing player...

Here's a shot of a Monteleone GA and my charango...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ga.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	10316  

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

Kaz,

Here is the link to the thread that I had posted back in July. Check out some of the comments that were posted.

I hope this helps you out.

Best regards
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

I have a charango that someone gave to me. It seems to be a pretty nice one and is quite loud - the body is carved from a single piece of some light colored wood and doesn't have much in the way of ornamentation. I've only experimented with the "standard" charango tuning and it seems to make everything sound like Andean music, which I am not really fluent in. There are a number of tunings that are used, however.

Another Yahoo group you might want to look at is the charango group http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group...yguid=35170803 . I've learned a number of things from that, including learning about that obscure North American instrument, the bancho # # #

Kazkru: #I've traveled through the Andes (Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile) four times in the last eight years, and have seen/heard C's extensively. #I always had my eye out for a good one to buy, but never pursued the quest enough to have any success--every single one I ever played in a stand or shop there, was a piece of junk by sound-quality standards, despite varying levels of decoration/ornamentation and coolness. #However, I saw/heard a few very nice high-quality C's played by higher-level street musicians in Arequipa last year, so I know that nice ones do exist down there. #

If you are in Arequipa on your trip to Peru, you certainly will see the same wandering bands (example, look around the out-door restaurant street(s), a block or two beyond the main plaza, toward the mountains, around lunch time). #Feel free to simply talk to the musicians when they are "tearing down", preparing to move onto their next restaurant--ask them where to get a good C. #(it's been my experience that street musicians get a kick out of talking with foreign musicians). #If you don't speak Spanish, then just look around you for a Gringo to interpret for you--I have found that most travelers who get that far into SA, speak fluent Spanish and fluent English, and are happy to share experiences, help you out, and so on.

I wouldn't bother looking around Cuzco for a high-quality C. (I've spent several weeks in Cuzco over the years and love the place, but just don't see Cuzco as having high-qualtiy instuments for sale)--I was not as impressed by the Cuzco street musicians as the ones in Arequipa (same goes for numerous other smaller towns and cities in Peru). #Lima would likely be a good place to find a good C. if you are there. #By the way, people often speak ill of Lima and try to steer you away from there, but I loved the place and would recommend at least a few days there for anyone and everyone--park yourself in a cheap hotel in the middle of downtown, and explore and enjoy to your heart's content--fascinating City and sites.

But...hey, as you know after having traveled in Peru, C.'s grow on you--even a cheap C. will bring a joyful tear to your eye after you get the music in your blood.

To anwser your original $ question, from what I have seen, I am sure when you are down there you will routinely find the run-of-the-mill C. for even less than the above-mentioned $45. #If you want a nicer one, I am guessing that you will do so for $150 to $250 max.---I say this because nearly everything in Peru, as it seems, is very inexpensive.

Que tengas buen viaje, Sr. Kazkru.

Blog Entries

You could read also this older thread... http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin....harango
    or, if you read spanish try.... http://www.charango.cl/
    or
    http://www.charangoluthieres.com/
    http://www.charangolibre.net/index.p...rs_de_Charango

a good decent concert charango cost around US$200 to US$300. The less expensive good charangos are found in the shops in Cochabamba and la Paz (Bolivia). If you want a luthier's charango try Achá or Yelkon Montero.

salu2,

None of the Armadillo-backed Charangos last. Not strong enough. They all warp eventually. Go with a wood back if you want it to last. (At least that's what an armadillo once told me ).

For info, go to http://worldfrets.com/ Joe Todaro, the owner, is a great guy. He's in Pennsylvania, but imports lots of instruments from S. America. He probably has lots of charango's on his web site for you to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by (Tatoosh @ Aug. 25 2005, 21:46)
    For info, go to http://worldfrets.com/ Joe Todaro, the owner, is a great guy. He's in Pennsylvania, but imports lots of instruments from S. America. He probably has lots of charango's on his web site for you to look at.
    I met Joe at on of the Philladelphia Guitar Shows years ago. He had a nice selection of charangos from Bolivia with a good range of prices. I got mine for about $200 with a nice woven bag, extra set of strings and two small instruction books. Joe is knowledgeable and goes down there to buy them directly from the makers. You may pay more but you can get a qualioty playable instrument instead of a tourist model.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

KazKru: #I just looked at the Joe Todaro website, and that would appear to be the smart way to go about buying a quality Charango--you'd never be able to trace Joe's steps while you are in SA and find the variety of quality sources that he already has.

When you are in Peru however (non-charagno related), I would highly recommend your going into Bolivia for a couple of weeks if you have the time...and if the political thing has cooled off a bit (you can find out that aspect when you get to southern Peru--ask around in Puno or Arequipa, for example...I wouldn't believe what you hear about the Bolivian situation Stateside or even in Lima/Cuzco, although you might want to check into the US State Department advisories to hear the worst possible scenario and temper your decisions accordingly. #Or best, go onto the Lonely Planet Website and hear about the situation from people who recently/currently traveled there--"Thorn Tree" I think they call the message board of their website). Another great source is the South American Explorer website--if you become an SAE member ($40 or so), then you can drop by their clubhouse in Cuzco or Lima and ask their staff about current travelling in Bolivia.#

I would say Bolivia is my favorite of all of the SA countries overall--amazing variety of things to do and places to go. #If you want, write me via email and I will give you some suggestions.

P.S. #Oh yeah, my favorite town in Bolivia--Potosi (hence the name, Potosimando...favorite place, favorite pasttime)

Default Re: Charango

I bought a professional charango last year and am delighted with my purchase. http://charangosorosco.com/about.php?id=10&lang=id2 Just look at that solid piece of jacaranda. I spent $500 on it and the price alone was a sufficient motivator. I have done quite a bit of reseach on them and I will try my best to answer any of your questions. That being said, I am no expert. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charango.jpg 
Views:	596 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	119674 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charango 2.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	119675 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carango 3.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	119676
    Last edited by conankilcoyne; May-26-2014 at 10:04am.

... I have also one, it is basically an Anzaldeño charango... with some modifications such as extended 24 frets from Bolivia made by Jesus Aruquipa
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charango Modéle Anzaldeño_tuning G²C²eEa²e² - Charango Mall.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	166646

Name:	Charango_0029.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	716.4 KB 
ID:	166647

Nice to revive an elderly 13 year old thread. The biggest problem I have with the charango I have is that mine is headstock heavy having those 5 on a side tuners. Of course tuning is even more laborious than a mandolin since it has ten strings, plus when you change strings they take a few days to stop stretching.

I do love the sound tho.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Nice to revive an elderly 13 year old thread. The biggest problem I have with the charango I have is that mine is headstock heavy having those 5 on a side tuners. Of course tuning is even more laborious than a mandolin since it has ten strings, plus when you change strings they take a few days to stop stretching.

I do love the sound tho.
    Well the playing position is different from mndlns et al - the body is much lighter, relative to the neck, than most fretted strings. I have long arms and don't hold it as high, but.. https://youtu.be/Ok1lbX8MrME

My Zambrano is even more neck-heavy - with its solid headstock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180409_124508.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	517.9 KB 
ID:	166650  

... Mine is shaped like a little guitar in mind of the Chillador

Name:	Chillador 12-14 string_Bueno,_Cuzco_(Perú).JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	166664

Name:	Chillador 15 string.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	166665
    ... but tuned in fifth like mandolin despite the +37cm scale... I have modified it completely after received it because the touchboard fretting was a little bit false...

Name:	Charandolin_body thickness 70mm_scale 370mm_0360.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	166649
    Last edited by Irénée; Apr-09-2018 at 3:04pm.

I'm still gas-ing for a ronroco - https://youtu.be/Ols60hNdWxc

... the storyboard of its complete revemping

Name:	histoire_transgressive_dun_charango_metal_devenu_charandoline-page0.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	166652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charandolin_in process5.JPG 
Views:	341 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	166653

It’s actually quite hard to find info on charangos, but one way is to think of key words, like ‘charango lesson, show, performance, shop, for sale, school... ukulele strumming, flamenco, youtube and .PDF’ and then use google translate to translate to Spanish and finally put the results into your favourite search engine to check, maybe using country too.
    THEN you will occasionally get some interesting, extremely exotic foreign results!