Thread: 'verb and drive pedals?

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

I'm starting to pay attention to tone, after finally getting the "I Just Need To Be Loud" out of my system. Right now my Ryder 4 string runs through a few effects pedals into a Fender Pro Junior with some custom mods. The amp has *beautiful* tone, but lacks two features that would be nice: reverb and drive.

Right now I'm using a Boss OC-3 octave pedal (that's a *lot* of fun,) Dan-o-wha, and Digi-delay. Any recommendations for drive and/or reverb that sound nice with our particular little beasts? Peace.

Taboot, Taboot,

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

Analog reverb pedals tend to add a LOT of noise. You might set your sights on a digital delay pedal that can handle reverb-type settings.

Drive pedal are so subjective. Personally, with a little amp like that I've always preferred a good dose of plain old boost, like you get from an MXR MicroAmp--usually 10-15 decibels will push your amp just enough to break up a little. I've also used the Boss equalizer stompbox for the same thing---with it, you can tweak your hot tone some too. You may want to roll off some highs to get a browner sound, for instance.
    Passernig #42

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm in a quandry about FX configurations, myself...
    I was running my Mandobird and my Five String Boomerang (Earnest Instruments) through a Fender Champ 30. Occasionally, I'd hook up a Digitech RP100 mulit-effects pedal, but really, I was satisfied with the spring reverb on the Fender and sometimes a glassy, compressed/delayed setting on the RP.
    Now, after picking up a "boutique" Bad Cat "Mini Cat" tube amp, I just can't go back to anything digital. I've even joked about the answer to my new set-up and its effects loop consisting of simply: an 18' 6" cord...
    It's a great, fat sound, but I have a feeling I'm going to get sucked back into FX.A.S soon. But, connecting this high end tube amp with the Digitech would be a little like drinking a 75 year-old Cabernet out of a paper cup.
    So I guess I'd ask the same question, only what would be proper for a tube amp?
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

I can't tell you how it'd work with a mando, but I like a Marshall Bluesbreaker II with guitar. It has a clean boost side as well as variable levels of murk, fuzz and grind.

I have used an Alesis Nanoverb set on Hall 2 for years. It gets a great floaty reverb tone that I've been satisfied with and you can find these things for about $50 used.

As for distortion I won a Proco Rat - but I don't recommend it for mandolin. It's pretty abrasive.

YMMV.

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

I've thought about the boost option, but part of the problem is that I use dirty tones mostly for rhythm situations, strange as that may seem. So, that added volume is not a great idea for me. I think I'm just going to have to play a bunch of drive pedals.
    Mandohack, I'd say that you should find those effects that you use, and get good pedals for each, instead of the go processor route. You can usually always find ones that won't degrade your tone too much, and there are lots of analog options out there for most everything if you want to go that route. I played some nice analog tape delay *pedals* a few weeks ago...

Taboot, Taboot,

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra