Thread: Furch mandolins

Default Furch mandolins

I know Furch have stopped making mandolins, but I have found a Furch F style for sale second hand close to where I live (well, a train ride away). Is it worth checking out? It seems like a pretty good deal for a Czech made mandolin, but I guess if I wanted a Czech mandolin brand new I could always get a Prucha A5 as an alternative. Thanks!

Registered Plec Offender Mickey King's Avatar

Default Re: Furch mandolins

Here’s a Stonebridge made by Furch at Fiddlers Green with a video. http://www.fiddlersgreenmusicshop.co...stonebridge-f5

3. The following members say thank you to Mickey King for this post:

I was a Furch dealer when they were still making Mandos.. They were nice.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I own a Frch A5, it's a great mandolin :-)
    Mandolins: 1920s (?) Meinel & Herold Bowlback, 2006 Furch "Redwood MA-1" A5

Octaves: 2004 Fender FMO-66 Flat-Top, 2015 A. Karperien 5 String Electric

Banjos: 2007 Gold Tone IT-250F Irish Tenor, 1963 Vega Vox No. 1 Plectrum, 2016 Recording King RK-OT25 Clawhammer

When Frantisek Furch was still building,his mandolins were on a par with the other Czech.builders. As with all mandolins by any builder,one will differ from another,but i'd certainly check it out. I did exactly that with my own Lebeda "Special" & it's superb,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Caveat Emptor - the only Furch I’ve ever come across was in a shop in Dublin. It was new and very unimpressive. Any comparison with other Czech builders (I have a Holoubek - which someone once accused of being a Gibson!) is something of an insult!

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Caveat Emptor - the only Furch I’ve ever come across was in a shop in Dublin. It was new and very unimpressive. Any comparison with other Czech builders (I have a Holoubek - which someone once accused of being a Gibson!) is something of an insult!
    I've played few of those back in the days when they started building mandolins right in their own shop. I would add that all of them were pressed tops and backs and some were aslo laminated backs. I don't know if they built series of carved mandolins but I doubt it. Some of them sounded pretty good for the money (they were cheaper than any carved mandolin by serious builder), but few years later I saw few with sinking tops. Of course there is no comparison with czech mandolin builders like Prucha, Holoubek or Krishot.
    Adrian

9. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

I might have had the very last ones made... I honestly don't remember a whole lot about them. haha
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger