Thread: Funny typo in Ryan's Mammoth

Default Funny typo in Ryan's Mammoth

Just noticed this while playing The Pausteen Fawn (I have Ryan's Mammoth on my music stand right now and I randomly play tunes as I flip through). It struck me as kinda funny when I imagined the type setter getting to page 99 and saying 'well, I guess I need to put a natural sign in the key signature now.'

Attachment 172671
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Pausteen Fawn.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	621.5 KB 
ID:	172672  

2. The following members say thank you to vetus scotia for this post:

Default Re: Funny typo in Ryan's Mammoth

Not sure if it is a typo. I think it is to call out that the mode changes, to make the player aware it isn't a C#. A version of The Frieze Breeches I grabbed from the session website is the same way, it notes the natural in the key signature. I just had the notation up for frieze breeches as I am learning it, and I said the same thing to myself. Then a few minutes later, I see this post, how odd!
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Default Re: Funny typo in Ryan's Mammoth

Yeah, I think you are right. A little googling and I see that naturals do appear in key signatures to indicate key changes. I guess I have only played tunes where there are added sharps (I play a few tunes that go from A to E). But when one goes from D to G, you need to do more than take away the sharp to subtract the C sharp.

Learn something new today: check!