Thread: Short scale 6 string to tenor...

Default Short scale 6 string to tenor...

Long time lurker, rare poster here but love the forum. I have a cheap SX short scale (24") electric with an extremely narrow nut width (1.5") and since I have been wanting a tenor guitar am using the SX as one. I removed the two bass (E and A) strings and tuned up 3 half steps (strings were a bit floppy even with .011 to .049 D'Addarios) to FA#DG. Sounds good to me and I can capo the second fret and play along with standard ukes (I play those too) in linear GCEA. The narrow neck is easier to navigate with only four strings (I have medium to large size hands). Wondering if using only the first four strings will possibly damage the neck? It has a truss rod and I haven't noticed any twisting or de-tunings in several days since I made the change so I think I am good. It is fun to play this defacto tenor...

2. The following members say thank you to mguy42 for this post:

MdJ 

Default Re: Short scale 6 string to tenor...

No worries. The inner 4 strings will put considerably less tension on the neck than 6. Maple is pretty solid to begin with so add in the truss-rod and you've got a pretty bullet-proof platform to build from.

I like taking a Les Paul scale, stringing the inner 4 for tenor and putting a capo at the 2nd fret for 21" CGDA.

My go-to electric "tenor" is a Zack Wylde Les Paul PeeWee tuned Eb Bb F C G D. Capo at the 2nd gives me F C G D A E. It actually has a broader range than a standard guitar with the Eb on the low end (semi-tone lower than standard guitar) and B on the high, which is a semi-tone higher than my electric mandolin.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

4. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

mguy42 

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    No worries. The inner 4 strings will put considerably less tension on the neck than 6. Maple is pretty solid to begin with so add in the truss-rod and you've got a pretty bullet-proof platform to build from.

I like taking a Les Paul scale, stringing the inner 4 for tenor and putting a capo at the 2nd fret for 21" CGDA.

My go-to electric "tenor" is a Zack Wylde Les Paul PeeWee tuned Eb Bb F C G D. Capo at the 2nd gives me F C G D A E. It actually has a broader range than a standard guitar with the Eb on the low end (semi-tone lower than standard guitar) and B on the high, which is a semi-tone higher than my electric mandolin.
    I moved the four high strings on my SX electric guitar to the middle four nut/bridge slots and it is working very well. Keeping the "Chicago" tuning for now. I have a budget classical guitar and rearranged the strings on it (used the original ADG and E strings), using GDAE tuning for a nylon string tenor, I like this too except some of the finger stretches on chords are a bit much so I am finding simpler/alternate chords for the ones I can't quite reach on this guitar...

What I enjoy about this is there are no rules with amazing surprises resulting.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

7. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

mguy42 

Update...still having fun, switched the nylon strings to GDAD. Planning to order an actual acoustic tenor steel string when funding permits (I'm on a fixed income). Any good tab sites for these four string tunings (GDAE, GDAD, DGBE)? Thanks all...

For GDAE you can use the tab archive right here, plenty of stuff to learn: https://www.mandolincafe.com/tabarc.html The waltzes/airs, slow tunes in 4/4, Scottish tunes, and early/classical sections would probably have some pieces that would sound especially nice.

10. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

mguy42 

I finished this a short while ago, after having had it sit around for a year waiting for a re-refret (don't ask). It's 22.5" scale I think, and sounds surprisingly good in CGDA with chrome flatwounds. I had a Les Trem II hanging around from an old project, and, well, every pink guitar should have a wobble bar!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JqTzExcXlXdFZB

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbcee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bbcee View Post
    I finished this a short while ago, after having had it sit around for a year waiting for a re-refret (don't ask). It's 22.5" scale I think, and sounds surprisingly good in CGDA with chrome flatwounds. I had a Les Trem II hanging around from an old project, and, well, every pink guitar should have a wobble bar!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JqTzExcXlXdFZB
    Very cool, beautiful little tenor. I'd like to fit a different neck to my SX electric but don't think I have the skills/tools to make one.