Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibson A-Jr

Default Gibson A-Jr

Looking for info/confirmation for a Gibson Junior Mandolin Style A-Jr I recently came in to....Based on my research I think this is a 1921 - looking for confirmation of that, as well as whether it looks like it is all original, thoughts on types of wood, etc....details:

Serial #65188
    Pick guard says "PAT MAR 30,09"
    Metal piece says "PAT. JULY 4, 1911"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181021_154830.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	584.9 KB 
ID:	172047   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181021_154840.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	241.1 KB 
ID:	172048   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181021_154846.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	424.2 KB 
ID:	172049  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181021_154908.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	335.0 KB 
ID:	172050   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181021_154929.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	495.3 KB 
ID:	172051   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181021_155217.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	580.5 KB 
ID:	172052  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181021_155307.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	409.8 KB 
ID:	172053   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181021_155223.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	601.0 KB 
ID:	172054   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181021_155323.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	429.1 KB 
ID:	172055  

Default Re: Gibson A-Jr

Very nice and it appears to be all original but there are others far more expert than me on these instruments.

Looks right for circa. 1921 - I’m sure others will confirm. Have a look inside for a Factory Order Number stamped somewhere near the neck block.

As Ray has stated, look inside the sound hole towards the neck block. There should be a number stamped there. That is the Factory Order Number or FON as it is commonly called. What is that number? That body is way too shiny. It may have been over sprayed. Also, it looks like we are looking at two different headstocks or is that an optical illusion?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Name:	20181022_133551.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	278.7 KB 
ID:	172056  

11409 is 1921 A series according to Spann- so I don't doubt that 11411 is also 1921 A series. 11420 is listed as 1921 A Jr.

Ascertaining the finish is tricky from photos- and is also problematic sometimes when looking at the instrument. My 1923 A2 I thought had been refinished but my expert says he does not think it has been redone. Of course, an instrument may have had a light re-varnish.

thx - am pretty sure that this insturment hasnt had any work done to it at all - same owner since bought and his family says it had never had anything done to it

Yes, its finish may be down to careful ownership over 90 plus years. As I wrote, it is hard to tell with photos but I think it is often the case that something very shiny is probably down to more recent activity rather than as is probably the case with your mandolin, careful custodianship! You don't mention a case- but I presume it has one which is likely to be original to the instrument.

yes has been stored in what i assume is the original case - think the rivet in the diamond also confirms that the case at least was pre 1922

Name:	20181021_162224.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	301.0 KB 
ID:	172061   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181021_162234.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	288.2 KB 
ID:	172062  

Yes, the correct period case made by Geib & Schaefer with the rivet through the diamond. All you now need is the original receipt!

lol THAT i can guaranty i dont have! i'm a guitar player so im very familiar with Gibson guitars and their various values from different time periods....based on ebay offerings etc, is it accurate that this is probably worth something in the 1000-1500 dollar range? ive seen some much higher prices but those seemed to be in incredible condition - and do realize from guitars that what people offer them for is often not correlated to what they are worth!

It's hard to say for sure. Certain models- Loar Era, snakeheads etc can send people crazy. Obviously, the condition aspect is also crucial- everything original etc. You will have to trawl the web for previous sales to confirm your own valuation while I am sure that others will give you their view. All I know, is that when I bought my 1923 snakehead, I paid too much as I loved the tone. Back then- 23 years ago I don't think the Loar Era snakehead mania had manifested. On that basis, although I paid too much, time has helped me out while my expert guitar/mandolin man says it is the best one he has heard in 30 years! However, it has lost its arrow ended tuners, guard, tailpiece cover and bridge which has a bearing on price.

optical illusion - same headstock in all pics.....also there is a huge amount of light in this room - attached is a pic in sunlight that i think better shows the "worn" look it has

Name:	20181021_154737.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	780.0 KB 
ID:	172068  

Very nice instrument! This may well be from the very first batch of A-Jr mandolins that Gibson made. The Junior range was introduced in 1921 and there are only four lower serial numbers at Mandolin Archive: 62768, 64629, 64635 and 65086. The earliest of these, 62768, is dubious as the label is not preserved and the serial number is written in pencil on the bare wood. The other three are all very close in number to yours. There are another five 1921 paddlehead A-Jr listed, going up to 68884 -- that last one is mine, as it happens, and I love it dearly! I think it may actually already be a 1922: dating by serial number is not an exact science.

I think these early 1921/22 A-Jr paddlehead models are a treasure. However, although they are Loar-era instruments they don't seem to fetch anything like as much as the 1922-24 snakehead A-Jr ones. Probably because there are only a handful of them and they tend to get lumped in with the later post-Loar paddleheads.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Warz00 View Post
    is it accurate that this is probably worth something in the 1000-1500 dollar range?
    That's probably a fair valuation.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

It is very revealing how the photo in daylight shows the true nature of the mandolin's finish while the photos taken inside give a very misleading impression of the actual finish. It is plain to see the mandolin's finish is original as is the rest of the instrument. I hope those are the "original" strings! I have two mandolins that were owned by my great-grandfather 120 years ago. I am pretty certain that I removed the original strings from one last year! I suppose it is now worthless even though it was made by Vinaccia! My Dad had tried to learn to play it nearly 60 years ago but I know my Dad would not have bought new strings for it!

I think they are the original strings - as you can see 3 of them are broken

Quote Originally Posted by Warz00 View Post
    based on ebay offerings etc, is it accurate that this is probably worth something in the 1000-1500 dollar range?
    Actually that valuation is high. You have to base them on what they sell for not what they are offered at. It's simple, you do a search on eBay for sold listings and only use green numbers.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...ete=1&_fosrp=1

A Jrs aren't selling for anywhere near that. Also, the snakehead model is the more desired model. The paddle heads are decent instruments but you can get fully trimmed higher model for less than your range. Yours is in good shape but there are a ton of them and when you're in the paddle head world there really isn't a whole lot of difference in the years and prices.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

For the record, I don't disagree with Mike about the valuation. I was not making an offer, just letting the poster know he was in the right ballpark. If you expect EXACT evaluation from strangers on-line, you're just going to be disappointed. Real world price discovery happens by putting something up for sale and seeing what offers come in.

But since I'm here: seller probably would not pocket $1K on Ebay. But an all original Jr, with case, in very fine condition, without modifications or set-up for that matter - probably would sell for $700 + or - here at the Cafe classifieds. And, unrestored would sell for more in a vintage shop. And would not be a bad purchase for higher than that if the buyer likes the instrument.

Another source of price discovery is reverb.com, and you can see HERE what paddle head A models are being offered for in stores. Often modified or repaired or not...
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    You have to base them on what they sell for not what they are offered at.
    I think that was what I said lol "and do realize from guitars that what people offer them for is often not correlated to what they are worth!"

I was very happy to buy a clean original A-1 from Gryphon recently for $1550. I consider that to be absolute top dollar from a reputable shop in a wealthy suburban area. I know I bought a mandolin with no issues and got to play it.

There was, or maybe still is, a Jr. Snakehead at Schoenberg, minus a pick guard and in much rougher condition for $1775. Also a top shop in an affluent area. So I'm thinking a private sale 300 miles from a major city could start at half that. Of course the net mitigates things considerably. And there is also the chance someone is looking for exactly what you have.

I sold a pedal steel guitar in ten minutes once after asking a what is this worth question. I was PMed with a very fair offer by a guy who had been looking for exactly this steel. But what a nice mandolin to own. Owning a mandolin is always better than not.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

That is so true. I sold a Heritage guitar (ex Gibson guys) in exactly the same way.

The good news is that today, there are fora such as this where people can learn and exchange knowledge and have some idea of what they may be buying or selling.

When I bought my A2 20 plus years ago, I had no real knowledge and quite frankly, the fact that I bought an instrument that I considered played well and sounded good was my only criterion.I did not know it was missing original parts- this was deduced with the arrival of the internet over the years and information becoming available. The negatives I found in terms of replaced parts were balanced by positives- snakehead and 1923 and others liking its tone and volume. I bought from a central London shop that was known to be very pricey but featured regularly in the music press because it had many vintage items. When I said to my expert a number of years ago " I bought this at A***'s and I paid over the odds but I do not want to speak ill of the dead" he said: "Don't let that stop you!" I did buy a guitar two years ago that had been retailed by this shop and I paid the seller exactly half what he had paid the shop thirty years previously! He said, he had just got a recording contract and was not being careful with his advance. However, I do think I got a bit of a bargain! Some sellers on ebay do not help themselves but I think he was under partner pressure to sell!

Blog Entries

Quick note to remind the author of this discussion that we have long-standing, clear guidelines. At the point this turns toward using the forum as a point of selling or marketing the instrument the discussion will be locked and links to any sales removed. While we're happy to see the community assist, the purpose of this space is information, not sales and marketing.

From the Posting Guidelines:

- Refrain from using the forum as a point of purchasing or selling items or for the purpose of discussing or linking to items you are selling. Please limit selling and buying activities to the Classifieds section of this web site or other external locations.

Understood and looking for info only in here. Has been very helpful.