Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Gibson spot repair

Default Old Gibson spot repair

I've got a 1921 Gibson A model which use regularly. When I got the A it had the original pickguard on it and an essentially intact top finish. I hated the pickguard because I don't like pickguard on a mandolin and it rattled as well. So I took it off but am now damaging the exceedingly delicate 97 year old finish with my light finger contact. Should I consider this part for the course or do a spot repair in nitro to protect this area? I realize that many old Gibson without pickguards have this wear, but I would like to protect it if I can.

Any ideas?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Old Gibson spot repair

Well I'd use the guard! That's what their for-I personally love guards!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    Well I'd use the guard! That's what their for-I personally love guards!
    +1
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Hi George - IMO,you have 2 options. Either remove your finger from the mandolin top,or,put some sort of pick / finger protection back on.

There are some self-adhesive clear pickguard materials,like a clear plastic film. You could cut a small piece to fit just in the area
    where your finger touches the top.

I found this on sale in the UK,so i'm sure that it's available in the US - https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...-Pickguard/M8S An electrostatic pickguard material,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Pinky glove?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Are you sure it's a nitro finish? I can't remember when they switched over. The pickguard most of us love to hate is actually called a finger rest in early Gibson literature. That's why it was there.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    ...I can't remember when they switched over...
    1925. If it is an original finish it is not lacquer and should not be touched up with lacquer unless loss of originality is of no concern.
    Choices pretty much boil down to:
    -loose originality
    -touch up with french polish... (and then wear through that)
    -learn to coexist with a pick guard.

(Self adhesive pick guard material applied to the finish can pretty much be considered permanent. It can't be easily removed without finish damage and sometimes deeper surface damage.)
    (There used to be available clear static cling plastic (vinyl?) pick guards. They were for music stores to temporarily apply to new instruments to avoid damage from customers trying them out, but of course people left them on there too long and the plasticizers in the plastic caused damage to lacquer finishes, so either they were removed from the market or the market for them dried up. Something like that would be safe to use temporarily, as in only when playing the mandolin, and the risk of finish damage from the plastic is nearly non-existant with the spirit varnish finish of a pre-1925 Gibson mando if used correctly.)

10. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Thanks John.

Yeah, I'd never use the stick on clear. Go back to the original if it's an issue but understand that pickguard/finger rest can cause it's own problems with off gassing.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I think most of the off gassing problems with the pickguards happen when they are left in the case for extended periods of time and not played regularly. If it is a much used mandolin I don't think that will be as much of a problem, and is easily seen as it is starting, because of regular use.

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    1925. If it is an original finish it is not lacquer and should not be touched up with lacquer unless loss of originality is of no concern.
    Choices pretty much boil down to:
    -loose originality
    -touch up with french polish... (and then wear through that)
    -learn to coexist with a pick guard.

(Self adhesive pick guard material applied to the finish can pretty much be considered permanent. It can't be easily removed without finish damage and sometimes deeper surface damage.)

Ditto.

Are you sure it's a nitro finish? I can't remember when they switched over. The pickguard most of us love to hate is actually called a finger rest in early Gibson literature. That's why it was there.
    Thanks Mike! I get “twitchy” when people call these things “pick guards” but, there seems to be a lot more making me “twitchy” as I progress down the road of life.
    I’m feeling more and more like “Mongo” too.
    Timothy F. Lewis

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

Marla Fibish does not seem too concerned about the wear on her Gibson A...........

https://pegheadnation.com/instrument...bson-mandolin/

I would agree with John to have it touched up now and again with french polish.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    I get “twitchy” when people call these things “pick guards” but, there seems to be a lot more making me “twitchy” as I progress down the road of life.
    Timbo, it only gets worse as you get older........there seems to be two or three generations that came after "us" who have succeeded in changing the definition of words, concepts, and even history.........certainly as it pertains to musical instruments, but probably in other areas of life, as well. Common eBay example: calling a chipboard case a "hard case!" No, No, No -- a chipboard case is a soft case, nothing hard about it -- and not to be confused with a gig bag or a hardshell case. And, a gig bag is a bag, NOT a case. I see this all the time!

Many other examples appearing daily, it seems...........beyond annoying, but what's to be done about it? Oh yeah, I can post this -- right here, for ALL to read.....hooray!

Gruhn's Guide calls a mandolin finger rest a pickguard.

George also calls an F style mandolin a Florentine. That doesn't make it right. I call it a pick guard as well.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

20. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

George also calls an F style mandolin a Florentine. That doesn't make it right. I call it a pick guard as well.
    Well Mike, if you call it a pick guard,
    A- you’re wrong and
    B- it’s okay, we can still be friends

And Jeff,
    The progress of the lexicon is much like the progress of musical genres, always changing no matter what we do. But, researching the evolution of a word or phrase is much less likely to shut down a thread than the infamous “What is (or isn’t) bluegrass.”

Now, how many of you ever thought a thread about pinky wear would get THAT convoluted?
    Timothy F. Lewis

Blog Entries

Let's just go ahead and settle this debate in a sensible way. Sorry for the hijack, but you can all thank me later

1) With the accessory attached, you can both rest your finger on it and guard against pick damage.

2) Without the accessory, you can still rest your finger on the mandolin, but you can't guard against pick damage.

3) The overwhelming majority of mandolins are played with a plectrum, not fingerstyle. Based on pictures of historical instruments, as well as modern gigging mandolins (see Emory Lester, Don Julin), it's reasonable to think that pick damage is more of a possibility than not on an instrument that gets played regularly.*

Ergo, the unique characteristic that defines its utility is as a "pick guard."

*(Whether or not that constitutes "proper" technique may still be up for debate. I do not plant my pinkie, nor do I regularly scratch the top with my pick. I have been playing plucked instruments for 20 years.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Streip View Post

3) The overwhelming majority of mandolins are played with a plectrum, not fingerstyle. Based on pictures of historical instruments, as well as modern gigging mandolins (see Emory Lester, Don Julin), it's reasonable to think that pick damage is more of a possibility than not on an instrument that gets played regularly.*
    I think it's also important to point out that there's not nearly as deep a historical reference and academic culture around modern mandolin playing as there is with other instruments. I would not suggest that a successful musician change their habits. But for more classical instruments, especially those who go through academic study, you'll see very little variation in the way people play. For example, all the saxophonists in my college studio had habits to unlearn which resulted in all of us playing better, and more alike.

The academic community may eventually decide that pinkie-dragging is right and Chris Thile was playing wrong all along, but without another few hundred years of study, I don't think it's fair to make an absolute judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Streip View Post
    Let's just go ahead and settle this debate in a sensible way. Sorry for the hijack, but you can all thank me later

1) With the accessory attached, you can both rest your finger on it and guard against pick damage.

2) Without the accessory, you can still rest your finger on the mandolin, but you can't guard against pick damage.

Ergo, the unique characteristic that defines its utility is as a "pick guard."

*(Whether or not that constitutes "proper" technique may still be up for debate. I do not plant my pinkie, nor do I regularly scratch the top with my pick. I have been playing plucked instruments for 20 years.)
    Just like two....two....two accessories in one!

If you're old you might get that, maybe.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Gee Mike, sounds double good.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Either learn to live with some honest play wear, or use a pickguard.

Theres no need for spot finishing or touchups or any of that. Play wear is beautiful in my opinion anyway. If a mandolin has been around for 100 years and doesnt have any, i just assume it either doesnt sound great or hasnt been loved properly.

You should see my old gibson lg2. Its about half finished and half bare wood. Its been played hard for 60 years and it shows it. The guitar is fine though and it will continue to be fine for a very long time still
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

29. The following members say thank you to LongBlackVeil for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

You should read this:

https://trianglestrings.com/applying...rib-protector/

It's been done on very expensive violins with delicate varnishes so I guess it can be applied to your Gibson mandolin (perhaps in several layers for added protection and of course after close inspection of integrity of the varnish and wood being covered)
    Adrian

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone 10 1 18 019.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	579.5 KB 
ID:	172156

1922 L jr with some pick damage due to no finger rest

Just like two....two....two accessories in one!

If you're old you might get that, maybe.
    Double your pleasure, double your fun!

Yep, I’m old!
    Timothy F. Lewis

This one was played for 30 years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00003 (3).JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	172158

This is not mine, just thought I would add that.
    Last edited by pops1; Oct-25-2018 at 9:53am.