Thread: Painting powder coat

Default Painting powder coat

Does anyone know if you can paint over powder coat, if so is there a preparation needed?
    " Practice every time you get a chance." - Bill Monroe

Default Re: Painting powder coat

I had a bicycle rack powder coated last year and because it was silver, they recommended it be coated with an automotive clear coat to keep it looking nice. So far, it's held up great! So, I assume the answer to your question is "yes".

3. The following members say thank you to Lynn Dudenbostel for this post:

A 'powder coating' is more like a 'stove enamel' than actual normal paint'. I can't see any problem with painting over it,but try a tiny area to see. Apply the paint & leave it for 24 hours to see if there's any reaction.

A long while back,a friend of mine bought an American car on which he was going to paint with a 'Phoenix' on the hood ('Bonnet' to us folks). He rubbed the bodywork down & sparayed it with an undercoat of 'whatever' type of paint all over. Unfortunately,the pain was incompatible with the original paint & he ended up with the only ''Prune finish'' car i've ever seen. So - best to try first,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

5. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

I imagine it depends on what kind of paint you're top coating with. If you want a finish that's going to be durable, you'll need to rough up the surface of the powder coat enough to get a mechanical bond. I would say wet sand with paper no finer than 400 grit to ensure the new coat can grab.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Roy For This Useful Post:

It also depends on the type of powder coat.
    Powder coat is finely ground plastic that is sprayed on and adhered by static electricity, then heated to “set.”
    The most common thermoplastic powder coat is nylon, which melts and sinters into itself.
    There are also thermoset resins (epoxy, polyester, fluoropolymer, etc.).

Nylon and epoxy should accept most paints with proper surface prep. Good luck if it happens to be a fluoropolymer.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rowka For This Useful Post:

The item is my tonegard, it has a black powder coat finish.
    Thanks for the help, I will sand a spot on the back and paint it, I was thinking krylon that’s good to use on plastic and metal.
    Just in case.
    " Practice every time you get a chance." - Bill Monroe

Blog Entries

I've used black automotive touch up paint successfully on one of my ToneGards. It didn't require sanding first. Just clean the surface well and then match your color as well as possible.

My Alcoa double bass is powder-coated silver. I'm avoiding the subject of touching it up, probably forever. But I would think that automotive touch up paint would also work on it.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

12. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by AMandolin View Post
    The item is my tonegard, it has a black powder coat finish.
    Thanks for the help, I will sand a spot on the back and paint it, I was thinking krylon that’s good to use on plastic and metal.
    Just in case.
    I've sprayed Krylon over a lot of powdercoated pedal enclosures. I usually buy them powdercoated even if I'm painting them because it saves me a lot of surface prep. Scuff it and spray it.