Thread: Two 1920's Gibson Mandolins?

Smile Two 1920's Gibson Mandolins?

Hello mandolin experts! So sorry if this is spamming your community.

I have inherited two mandolins from my grandfather. I am a musician myself, but know nothing of mandolins, so I am honestly just looking to auction them off, if they are worth anything (both in playability and cash). It would be nice if someone would give them a new home and some strings.

I am posting some pictures. The wooden one is cracked (serial# 11323). The other one needs a change of skin (serial #11529-5).

Can anyone tell me exactly what they are, and what I need to beware of, so I can describe the condition accurately to a buyer on the internet?

Thank you so much!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6137.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	685.7 KB 
ID:	171925   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6140.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	401.2 KB 
ID:	171926   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6142.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	607.8 KB 
ID:	171927  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6161.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	664.1 KB 
ID:	171928   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6165.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	638.4 KB 
ID:	171929   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6150.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	693.5 KB 
ID:	171930  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6155.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	581.9 KB 
ID:	171931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6159.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	616.6 KB 
ID:	171932   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6154.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	706.3 KB 
ID:	171933  

Default Re: Two 1920's Gibson Mandolins?

You have a Gibson banjo-mandolin (maybe a Jr. model) and an Gibson Army-Navy 'pancake' style mandolin. Both good vintage instruments. You should be able to find quite a bit more info on both using standard search, beyond what you'll learn here.

That's a particularly interesting metal and wood resonator on the banjolin - I've seen it referred to as a 'Wilmot tone chamber resonator' and it's probably worth mentioning so that the banjo geeks are alerted. I think that it was an after market accessory. And it looks great.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox
    Twangbox Videos

3. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post:

pbryld 

What value of an army navy in need of repair?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

The army navy has cracks in the top, I hope there is no string tension on the mandolin. If there is I would loosen the strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

6. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

pbryld 

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Keep the army-navy and get it fixed. They're both likely below $1,000.00 - well below in current condition. The army-navy would be fun to keep and you never know? You may decide to give it a whirl!

f-d
    กpapแ gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

8. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

pbryld 

The banjo-mandolin might get some interest on Banjo Hangout depending on the size of the body. Might be a contender for a conversion to a tenor banjo. No idea at what value however.

10. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

pbryld 

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    Keep the army-navy and get it fixed. They're both likely below $1,000.00 - well below in current condition. The army-navy would be fun to keep and you never know? You may decide to give it a whirl!

f-d
    i like the sound of those army navy mandos. a friend played one for years. he inherited it from his great uncle who had kept it well. i would fix it up and keep it.

Army-Navy mandolins were issued when the U.S. entered World War I, and discontinued when the war ended. Effectively that means they were made between 1917 and 1918. So that's not a 1920s mandolin. The banjo mandolin, given the headstock shape, probably is from the 1920s. If you can find a serial number or factory order number, somebody will run down a date for you.

In its current condition I doubt the Army-Navy would fetch more than $300 as a repair project. But it's well worth having a luthier properly repair those cracks with some hot hide glue.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Army-Navy mandolins were issued when the U.S. entered World War I, and discontinued when the war ended. Effectively that means they were made between 1917 and 1918. So that's not a 1920s mandolin. The banjo mandolin, given the headstock shape, probably is from the 1920s. If you can find a serial number or factory order number, somebody will run down a date for you.

In its current condition I doubt the Army-Navy would fetch more than $300 as a repair project. But it's well worth having a luthier properly repair those cracks with some hot hide glue.
    Thanks

The banjo mandolin has the number #11529-5 on the inside. Is that not the serial number?