Thread: Northfield Workshops Calhoun

Default Northfield Workshops Calhoun

In the market for a new mandolin and was somewhat interested in the Calhoun. I’ve heard a few samples but not enough to make a good consensus. Hoping someone here might have played one and is able to give their impression.

Thanks

Evan

Default Re: Northfield Workshops Calhoun

Evan, I played one in August, I would say it is a very playable flat top. It didn’t have the depth of a carved top mandolin but it was loud. I liked it, and if I was in the market for a flat top or even a mando to leave at work it would be up there in my consideration.

Dan
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Hi all,

I played one a couple weeks ago and I really enjoyed it. I'm a minimalist in general, so I love the simplicity and the no-frills approach. It all starts with good wood, and I think that is what separates this mando from others in the price range. Northfield has access to killer wood, and it was really obvious in the Calhoun one I played. Super easy to play, great sustain, with that rich tone that I love in an oval hole mandolin. It was a well balanced mandolin, too, which seems hard to find in that price range. Plenty of low end, and really nice pop on the A and E strings. This would be a great mandolin for classical music, Brazilian choro, etc, or an kind of folk or singer-songwriter stuff.

If you want something that is for bluegrass specifically, probably look elsewhere. If you want something with bells and whistles, this definitely isn't the mando for you either. But in the price range, I don't know that you'll be able to find superior tone and playability. Hope this helps.

Just to say: I recently purchased a Calhoun, and I *love* it. It's loud, and just sounds fantastic. I've been wanting an oval-hole for awhile, as well as a flat-top, and this is pretty much the mandolin of my dreams. I also love the simple aesthetic design.

For a mandolin under 1k, I don't think one can do better than the Calhoun.

Hi, You are just the person I need to talk to. I have been eyeing that Calhoun for quite awhile. I play Old Time tunes on banjo and now mandolin. I have a Seagull S8 but would like a better mandolin. Looking at Calhoun, Red Valley flat tops and Kentucky 276, Eastman 504 carved oval holes. Any thoughts? Looks like you like the Calhoun. Good base? balanced? well setup? Any input would help to activate my trigger finger.

I too am looking into a flat top, and up until now had been toying with the idea of a Red Valley (very good looking instruments) or something more simple, but still high quality, like a Big Muddy. I'm especially interested if anyone has experience with Red Valley and a Calhoun, as they are similarly priced and designed instruments from very reputable builders.

Im also very interested in how a calhoun compares to a big muddy or an old flatiron. I imagine a flat top will my next mandolin purchase
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

Not to throw more more options at you, I know in the mandolin world there's already enough out there to want. But have you considered a Sawchyn flattop?

They usually sell for just under $1,000. Until this week they had them listed at Dusty Strings, but I guess they sold out because I can't find the listing now. Anyway, they aren't impossible to get ahold of.
    https://www.sawchyn.com/index.php/ma...-tail-mandolin

That said, I am also intrigued by the Calhoun. Would love to hear some more samples!

Good luck in your search!

EDIT: Also, in response to what the poster above me said, I have played an old flatiron flattop and I thought it was absolutely sweet. Loved it.
    1940 Gibson L-4T
    2016 Martin TEN515
    2018 Poe Scout #76

I'm also curious about the Calhoun as it looks like a great execution of the flattop design ( plus a raised fretboard, etc.) at a ridiculously competitive price to other builders. Many moons ago (back in the '80s) I had one of the Flatiron pancakes and sold it cause I thought I needed a better mandolin. I loved it's sweet tone, but it was rather laborious to play - sure do miss it, though. The Calhoun seems to tick all of those boxes and then some.

I'm near enough to The Mandolin Store to check one out if they ever get one in stock.
    Cheers,

Brian

Angels don't play harps, they play mandolins