Thread: end of line BG riffs/licks/arpeggios?

Default end of line BG riffs/licks/arpeggios?

As I plod ahead in learning the delights of BG mandolin, I need the help of Cafe activists once again. So I've learned/am learning to put together some breaks around the melody, esp using double stops, with much guidance from the Cafe. So where do I go to learn those signature mandolin riffs/licks/arpeggios that come at the end of the line, after the vocal? Can anyone recommend books/CD/DVD or websites that would help with this? I play a bit of fiddle, and on slower songs, I can just echo the melody line of the singer's phrase, and it doesn't sound too bad. But this doesn't seem to work with BG mandolin. Suggestions welcome and much appreciated.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: end of line BG riffs/licks/arpeggios?

I'm not very good and still learning some Bluegrass, but I'll share what I've been doing ...

1. Learn some of the licks I have on records (mp3s, etc.) by ear.
    2. Work through the book, 400 Smokin' Hot Bluegrass Mandolin Licks https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...Mandolin-Licks
    3. Try to make up something that sounds good.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Thanks, Mark. I'll check out the book. I have a lot of licks from the various exercises in Niles Hokkanen's BG/Up the Neck (an excellent book), but haven't figured out yet how to fit those in with the melody of individual songs, or to embellish the end of each line after the vocal finishes. And you're right -- my ultimate goal is to try to "make up something that sounds good."!!

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by RickPick View Post
    ... haven't figured out yet how to fit those in with the melody of individual songs, or to embellish the end of each line after the vocal finishes.
    Eddie Collins' book is set up nicely, so that he introduces licks, then follows with exercises and chord progressions where you stitch them together to make solos, tags, etc. It's not an "encyclopedia of licks" reference, but a book that works best if you work through it front to back at your own pace, since successive sections build on earlier ones. Pretty nice IMO.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Eddie Collins' book is set up nicely, so that he introduces licks, then follows with exercises and chord progressions where you stitch them together to make solos, tags, etc. It's not an "encyclopedia of licks" reference, but a book that works best if you work through it front to back at your own pace, since successive sections build on earlier ones. Pretty nice IMO.
    I, as a note reader, am bummed that that book is only tab
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Why not start by copying licks you’ve heard and liked from the players you like best? YouTube is so great for this now, with its slow-downer feature.

I recommend "The Mandolin Picker's Guide to Bluegrass Improvisation." The focus isn't trying to learn a bunch of licks, but to learn to improvise on the fly. The book slowly works from arpeggios to pentatonic scales and beyond.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

"Why not start by copying licks you’ve heard and liked from the players you like best? YouTube is so great for this now, with its slow-downer feature." I do this to some extent, but hate sitting in front of my computer with my mandolin! And my brain wants some kind of explanation for what it's learning, not only rote repetition. That "Picker's Guide to Bluegrass Improvisation" looks very interesting using the preview feature, and the reviews are really strong. I'd more likely expect the author to be from Gnaw Bone, Indiana, or Chicken Bridge, North Carolina, than Aarhus, Denmark, but this book is going on my (early) Christmas wish list along with the "400 Smokin' BG Licks". Guess I should be careful saying that, given Canada's special day today...... Thanks very much for the tips.