Thread: Titebond 'hide' glue..

Default Titebond 'hide' glue..

Couldn't find this on a cafe search but wondered if anyone has any experience with it?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Titebond-50...ords=hide+glue

Default Re: Titebond 'hide' glue..

That product is widely regarded as "not fit for instrument-building." That's debatable, and has been debated here on the Cafe. But it's a fact that it's not the same thing as fresh hot hide glue. It has additives that keep it from setting up quickly and allow it to be a bottled, ready-to-use product. Many feel that it cannot perform as well as real hot hide glue, and I believe you have to be mindful of its shelf-life for it to perform well at all.

3. The following members say thank you to Andy Miller for this post:

Walt 

It has been discussed a few times. If you google "liquid hide glue mandolincafe" some of the results will pop up. The time I used it, I got bad results (the fingerboard popped off after playing in a humid environment). But I'm a hobbyist not a luthier, so others pointed out that the failure might have been caused by other factors as well (e.g., insufficient clamping pressure when the fingerboard was installed). I replaced with titebond original, and it has held up fine.
    I know there are some builders who have used it in the past without problems, but I think the general consensus is that it is not as good as HHG. There's also the issue of bottle expiration. This stuff definitely has a shelf life. They no longer print the date on the bottle, but rather a code that indicates the date. Here is the company's explanation of the code:
    The first digit represents A for America (made in), the second digit is the last digit of the year of manufacture, the third and fourth digits represent the month, the fifth and sixth digits represent the day of the month and the last four digits represent the lot number. Example: A904270023 – This material was manufactured on April 27, 2009

For me, until I have the time to learn how to use Hot Hide Glue, it is just safer to use Titebond Original.

Yes, I was going to ask if Titebond original was a better alternative (and it seems like it is).
    I have an old electric hot plate and a metal pot so I might just experiment with the real thing..

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver R View Post
    Yes, I was going to ask if Titebond original was a better alternative (and it seems like it is).
    I have an old electric hot plate and a metal pot so I might just experiment with the real thing..
    Suspend your jar in water with a gauge for temperature. Don't let it get more than 150 degrees. Needs to be between 145-150 for use. I heat it up after mixing and let it cool, then reheat before using the first time.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

7. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

I have used it a few times, NOT in lutherie applications. Mostly where I didn't want to "waste" Titebond on something like a one-time-use jig or a craft for my daughter.

I would not recommend it for instruments because:

1) It takes a long time to set properly. This negates the advantage of hot hide glue.
    2) It's no stronger than regular Titebond in similar use, and is probably weaker when you factor in...
    3) Humidity. Reversibility is inevitable. I've left a dried, cured, jig on my carport (in the shade) in normal Tennessee humidity for a matter of hours and come back to find the glue sticky again. The pieces hadn't shifted...but they weren't under any stress either.

On the flip side, I've used Frank Ford's "knox gelatin hot hide glue" and found it to be quite sufficient for jobs like gluing purflings. It is perfectly clear and doesn't stain spruce. I haven't used it structurally except on a ping pong paddle handle (which is still going strong despite living in my relatively humid basement).

9. The following members say thank you to Drew Streip for this post:

That Frank Ford is great!!

Dave Sheets

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver R View Post
    I'm a very amateur builder/tinker, and found learning the whole hot hide glue process to be a very positive experience. After using it a couple of times, it becomes second nature and the results are well worth it. It's such a neat technology. I have used the Titebond liquid hide glue, and there is no real comparison, the hot hide glue is so much nicer all around. Well worth the effort.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

One advantage of HHG to the best of my experience and knowledge is its ability to " stick " to itself. If I use this tightbond hide glue and it doesn't hold can I reglue with HHG as if I'd used HHG the first time.