Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuning Mandolin without a tuner

===========

Default Re: Tuning Mandolin without a tuner

As a guitar player, I have the opening low E note from 'Born On The Bayou' by Creedence Clearwater Revival burned into my brain - so, if I ever need to tune a guitar without a tuner, I use my brain memory to get the first note, and then move on from there . . . and I usually come pretty darn close to 440.

On the mandolin, I have similar luck with remembering Dave Grisman's version of 'Nine Pound Hammer' to use as a base line for mandolin tuning.

Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar

Interesting thread. MikeZ makes a good point about having some kind of anchor that will always get you to a close starting point. Anything by the Dawg is very smart! If you're playing by yourself it doesn't matter much. If you're playing with someone then there's another reference, if no tuner, then it's about being in tune together. If you're playing with a song online, you've got real notes to tune to.

Something I've toyed with at times as sort of a learning / training exercise . . . is to get say the G string in tune and then tune the D by simply listening to the oscillations between the two open stings only. When they are in "open" tune, there is a very discernible syncing of the oscillations. Not saying this is how I'm tuning for general playing, cause I'm sure there'd be some add'l tweaking . . . of course, that's a given, it's a mandolin

I'm getting better at it, not sure exactly how I'm benefiting, but I like the idea of being more confident of quickly hearing if any two adjacent strings are in open tune with each other by knowing what to listen for. I'd really be interested in hearing some aids or tricks from those that have learned "perfect pitch", there must be a starting point.

Well before the internet, existed for the civilians, I used an A-440 tuning fork..

Finding the notes on the piano was useful too
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Well before the internet, existed for the civilians, I used an A-440 tuning fork..

Finding the notes on the piano was useful too
    Most home and church piano aren't in A440 standard. Piano tuners usually just tune it to itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    Most home and church piano aren't in A440 standard. Piano tuners usually just tune it to itself.
    That hasn't been my experience. There are some nasty pianos out there for sure, but it's usually just neglect, or no budget for a pro tuner. Piano tuners do use a "sweetened" tuning method, but the target A440 pitch is the aim point.

Our home Yamaha is still in good enough A440 tune to play along with 12TET instruments like fiddle, guitar, and pipes, and it's been a few years since it was tuned. It's just a hair flat of A440 but not enough to matter in a "folk" context. Last year, I helped set up the sound reinforcement for a visiting Scottish trad band at the local Unitarian church hall, where the piano/accordion guy played the upright piano there. It was in decent enough tune for the fiddle and pipes.

I know there are plenty of exceptions out there, but some people do care about this stuff, and don't let their pianos drift too far!

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I can't tune a mandolin with or without a tuner.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Like MikeZ, over the years of tuning mandolins everyday, I can tune the G without thinking about it. I have a fair success rate on other notes, but G just comes natural. That wasn't always the case, so I believe that I am evidence that pitch can be learned.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger