Thread: Luthiers Machine Tools

Default Luthiers Machine Tools

I’m building a new workshop, no longer in the basement, and will have an embarrassing amount of new space. At least compared to the past.

Since I love tools, esp old ones, I’ve been thinking about what else I might “need”.

Since it’s already a dory building boatshop, there are plenty of the std power tools many of us use routinely. A couple of table saws (Oliver and Wadkin), planer and jointer (neither of any real vintage), a Max OS spindle sander, a couple of bandsaws (Yates and Wadkin), DeWalt radial Arm Saw, and widebelt sander. An embarrassing home built router table. Metal and wood lathes.

A CNC is on the wish list, but prob far down the pike.

I’m curious about what others find most important among this list vs other machine tools in their luthier work. Just powered ones, hand tools are another, larger topic. For one, I’ve been thinking about an overhead or inverted pin router.

Thx

Jon

Default Re: Luthiers Machine Tools

Drill press.

Maybe, if you’re dying to spend money, a scroll saw.

I've accumulate a few tools over the years, and if I had the tools you mentioned available to use I would pretty much quit looking for tools. (The Max spindle sander is the best I've ever used, by the way. I'd trade my Crouch for it in a heartbeat.) You didn't mention a drill press but I have to assume that there is more than one already there. A pin router is handy but not necessary, IMO. I'll probably make one someday...
    I'd say be happy and use the tools that are there.

A Bridgeport milling machine is extremely handy, if not for building instruments directly, for making tools and fixtures. You can make some pretty precise truss rod slots, pickup cavities, etc with virtually no jigging or fixturing other than a milling vise.
    A laser cutter is fantastic for decorative inlay work and making acrylic templates.

My drum sander gets a good deal of use thicknessing bracing, fretboards, and such.
    Steve

"They're approaching. That's very forward of them."