Thread: Teens A4 with an F5 peg head.

Default Teens A4 with an F5 peg head.

Back in the late 80's - early 90's, Al's Guitarville in Seattle had an old, red sunburst A4 that had been "customized" with an F5 peg head. It looked like the original peg head had been cut down drastically, and the new peg head mounted over it. As I recall, the new peg head had a serial number stamped into it that looked like it was done in the 60's or 70's. I was not very interested in oval hole mandolins then, so I never really played it. This came to mind while I was helping a friend figure out the pedigree of a Gibson guitar that's had a new face plate on the peg head put on it.
    I was just wondering whatever happened to that thing. Anybody?
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Default Re: Teens A4 with an F5 peg head.

, Whatchootalkinbout?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

We love Frankenmandos. I hope somebody here has it.
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

I do remember this one. I don't recall the "why" it was done but recall it was a factory original. Gibson has done several one-offs, both pre war and post war. They've always had a "custom" dept. There's the F4 with the long neck. The F4 with only one point, and F4 with an H5 Fern peghead and of course that one of a kind Loar A-5.

6. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    I do remember this one. I don't recall the "why" it was done but recall it was a factory original. Gibson has done several one-offs, both pre war and post war. They've always had a "custom" dept. There's the F4 with the long neck. The F4 with only one point, and F4 with an H5 Fern peghead and of course that one of a kind Loar A-5.
    Hmmmmmmmmm. Gibson mandolins is into small custom runs of unique and commenorative mandolins these days. How about a run of Master Model A-5s?
    Calling David Harvey!!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rosett View Post
    Back in the late 80's - early 90's, Al's Guitarville in Seattle had an old, red sunburst A4 that had been "customized" with an F5 peg head. It looked like the original peg head had been cut down drastically, and the new peg head mounted over it. As I recall, the new peg head had a serial number stamped into it that looked like it was done in the 60's or 70's. I was not very interested in oval hole mandolins then, so I never really played it. This came to mind while I was helping a friend figure out the pedigree of a Gibson guitar that's had a new face plate on the peg head put on it.
    I was just wondering whatever happened to that thing. Anybody?
    I actually played this very mandolin and remember it quite well. I lived in Seattle from 1977-2004 and would visit Al's often and occasionally pick up a mandolin. At the time I wasn't quite sure if it was original because it was in such superb condition... I believe it had a fern inlay in the headstock. I forget who wound up getting this one... possibly The Dawg would know...

The Dawg knows all;sees all;plays all. He's The Dawg.