Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chris Thile's new pick

Default Re: Chris Thile's new pick

I am one of the ones who do care what people like Chris Thile plays with, not that I think it’s magic by any stretch, but growing up playing tennis and golf, you learn to pay attention to what the pros play with, and pay attention to their form and such. If you’re trying to get good at something you want to be guided in the direction of what works in general, and I know everyone is different physically, but there are basic principles that hold true as to what form works best etc. One thing I have learned in whatever I try to play, be it sports or musical instruments, is that generally speaking playing something that the pros play with “can” help you get a feel for things, like for example: I always played both guitar and mandolin for the longest time with picks that were 1mm or thinner, and I always wondered why my tone sounded thin and not like a professionals tone(I’m talking bluegrass specifically), and it wasn’t until I forced myself to play with a thicker, better quality pick exclusively for awhile(the Bluechip CT55)(which I really didn’t like at all at first) that I learned how to hold it correctly, and how to get a much better tone out of both instruments, tone that was impossible with my cheap .96 mm Martin guitar pick. I guess what all my ramblings are meant to convey, is that generally speaking, you can use what the pros use as a guide to choose the right equipment, they use it for a reason.
    2019 Tyler White custom F5 #17
    2012 Huss and Dalton RD-M
    2019 Gann resonator guitar

https://www.youtube.com/user/kinmanknives

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jesse Kinman For This Useful Post:

Saw CT with the Punch Brothers in August. During a pre-show Q&A, CT said that he was using a prototype pick he is working on with D'Addario. No other details, such as pick material, size, thickness, shape or when a CT D'Addario pick might be available were given. CT sounded great, to me, as usual!

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mandoe For This Useful Post:

I just pm'd a D'Addario member...we'll get to the bottom of this
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Awesome..! Keep us updated!

Quote Originally Posted by ikusan View Post
    Awesome..! Keep us updated!
    The reply can neither confirm or deny
    The folks in the know are our of the office for a bit.
    Several nice old Fiddles
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Ten hours of reading speculative guff or ten minutes of practice. Which one's going to make you a better player?

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron McMillan For This Useful Post:

Very likely,most of you guys at some point in time,will have done what i've done on many ocassions - put down your 'favourite' pick,& take another from your collection to hear how it sounds,just out of interest. Again,like me,you might have been surprised to hear that the pick that you chose,'sounds better' than your favourite pick 'on that mandolin,on that day'. It's happened to me very often. I don't think that it's a ''better'' thing going on,it's maybe the ''difference'' that appeals to us & we simply think that it's ''better''. CT might very well do the same, + another fact. Mandolins are affected my temp. & humidity as we know. If CT's mandoldin 'sound' had changed due to those reasons,then a different pick might make it sound it's best for those conditions. Who knows ?. Apart from all that,CT might simply be enjoying a change of sound (tone / volume) - why not ?.

What picks we use, & what picks CT uses,is a matter of personal taste - but if CT were to give us his mandolin & his favourite pick - how many of us could play like him ??. I for one,don't want to sound like anybody else. yes,i pick up bits & pieces from many mandolidn players,but i put 'em together my own way,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Mention a great mandolin player and a new pick and watch the thread pages pile up!
    I plead guilty to helping that page count grow.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

12. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

This is an interesting development. Fender has been selling casein picks. If D'Addario enters the market that could really have an impact on the boutique pick makers.

Depending on what it's like, could end up buying one to try out. Have a number of casein picks. But for some reason, they are no longer my go to.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    ......... speculative guff .......
    I think I've found my new band name!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    Ten hours of reading speculative guff or ten minutes of practice. Which one's going to make you a better player?
    +3k posts?
    Several nice old Fiddles
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

17. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Looks to me- through the magic of analytic geometry- to be precisely 1.2624465mm in thickness and has quite abrupt speed bevel shoulders. Just in case you were wondering about that next. ;-)

Honestly, I also thought his pick was "flopping' around quite a bit as well. My goodness he really does hold it quite loosely.
    Blessings

If it’s not fifty bucks, I’d try a couple!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    Yeah, it's the pick that makes him sound so good.
    I am pretty sure it is the Superman underwear he has on.

21. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    I am pretty sure it is the Superman underwear he has on.
    Can’t be that, mine doesn’t seem to be helping
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Back on topic now, please. i learned something from the close photos of CT's picking hand. Somehow my grip had migrated to something similar and it sounded good, but it seemed unorthodox so i didn't persue it at the time. i've found there to be some good info in this thread and i appreciate it very much. There are some pickers that get a really good sound and have some unique ways of playing that i can learn from.

24. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

I do think it’s always useful to carefully observe great players, their tools and technique. Most make very specific choices with concerned study which can be helpful to less skilled players. Some things work for others, some don’t.

Regardless of undergarments��
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

From Jesse Kinman - "...they use it for a reason." I agree Jesse - to a point. The reason for using any single item if you have a choice of them,can vary from day to day,to suit specific circumstances. I wouldn't go all out to try to buy this particular style / brand of pick - CT might be back with his BC or Wegen tomorrow - or 'some other' brand / style ???,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

This image is from last weekend in San Francisco while recording "Live From Here" at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival. Looks to me like he is still using a Blue Chip pick.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (2).png 
Views:	278 
Size:	867.5 KB 
ID:	171862

Darn, there goes my Casein stock value. ;-)

Blog Entries

I've taken stuff gathered from a lot of reading here and turned it into useful help. I've also killed plenty of time. Knowing the gear folks use or like is useful (or not)/ That's really up to what folks are doing with it. Even if they are only cataloging the info for history (even in their own minds) that's fine.

It was a specific player talking about Thomastik strings that got me into them and no I really prefer them. It works for me. Making music is similar to cooking, there are often many recipes for a dish. If you like to experiment (like I do) hearing the other recipes is good.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

In order to try to get the very best from our mandolins,we should try different string brands / gauges / picks from time to time (IMO). It was trying out the DR brand of strings that 'Big' Joe Vest had mentioned on here,that really brought out the best in my Weber / Lebeda mandolins. They sounded pretty good on my Ellis as well when i bought it. I then 'discovered' the Dunlop 'Primetone' picks & the combo. sent my mandolin 'sound' (tone / volume) up to another level.

Having read 100's of posts on here re. strings 'n things,i know that the same thing has happened for a lot of players,& it'll happen for a lot more players in the future,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMadd View Post
    This image is from last weekend in San Francisco while recording "Live From Here" at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival. Looks to me like he is still using a Blue Chip pick.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (2).png 
Views:	278 
Size:	867.5 KB 
ID:	171862

Darn, there goes my Casein stock value. ;-)
    I can see the slightly translucent pick in the pic above, no way the brown BC.
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    I can see the slightly translucent pick in the pic above, no way the brown BC.
    Yup. Also using the new pick last Saturday in St. Paul

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

It surprises me that people would doubt that a look at Thile's pick would seem irrevelant. I (not that anyone cares) prefer V-Picks. I like the thickness, I like the response. Other players I know don't like them - they prefer thinner picks, or different materials. Given one of the things Chris has is a great tone, and pick is 10-15% of tone, it's a great discussion to have. (Strings are 10-15% - the rest is the mandolin, and your fingers - fight me if you think I'm wrong - no don't fight me, but you can disagree).
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David Lewis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    .........one of the things Chris has is a great tone, and pick is 10-15% of tone, it's a great discussion to have. (Strings are 10-15% - the rest is the mandolin, and your fingers - fight me if you think I'm wrong - no don't fight me, but you can disagree).
    I agree that all these factors do matter, but I would give them different weight, in my analysis.......

Something like the player's ability accounts for 70% of his tone, the mandolin maybe 25%, the other 5% being the combination of picks, strings, tonegards, etc. -- in other words -- I don't think they account for much, IMHO.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post: