Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass mandolin syndrome

Default Glass mandolin syndrome

Just got a Collings MF Dluxe. It sounds awesome! It looks awesome! I don’t want to ding it. Should I just keep it in the case, only play it at night, at home, or should I thrash it at festivals, outdoor jams with alchohol involved?

Default Re: Glass mandolin syndrome

It's like a new car. You'll be very, very protective, but you get that first door ding anyway. Breaks your heart. But, you get a couple more, it doesn't matter so much. You get over being fussy about where you park. Or in this case, play.

You can always take the "distressing" route --

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

4. The following members say thank you to Steve Sorensen for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by StevenS View Post
    You can always take the "distressing" route --

Steve
    Thanks for that, Steve! It may be the finest thing I have ever seen! They don't say but I pictured it being dragged by a pickup truck -- a sedan just wouldn't be as good, IMHO.

Play it anytime,anywhere you like. Take care of it as best you can,but somewhere along the road,you ''might'' get a mark or 2. Before you let other mandolin players,''watch how they treat their own'',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

7. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Blog Entries

Having a nice but inexpensive backup mandolin for bad weather or rough situations is never a bad idea.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

9. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Someone on a guitar forum said the first thing you should do with a new guitar is lie it gently down and drop a set of keys on it. In that way you don’t worry about dings.

I hate dings so I don’t recommend it but they are meant to be played. So play it. Look after it, yes. But play it.

11. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Just love it and treat it as such, and remember love always carries a little pain and angst so there is that. Just enjoy and play the heck out that thang.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

It will be better if you put the first ding on your new mandolin.

When I first got my Weber I was super focused on persevering its perfect appearance. It was consuming. I didn't like others touching it and I would get anxious if they did. I even snipped at my (then) three year old for touching it while I was holding it (not cool on my part). Then one day I sat down and played it while wearing a buttoned shirt and didn't realize I had scratched the back on one of my buttons! I saw what I had done and felt awful... for like two minutes.
    Then life moved on. Guess what? The Weber still plays and sounds perfect (even with some more dings and scuffs added over the years) and I'm way less edgy. Still a bit protective though. Point is... It is going to happen to you.

If you play it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Having a nice but inexpensive backup mandolin for bad weather or rough situations is never a bad idea.
    Ky 150 is a great backup
    “Mandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel “
    - Data Nick

That's a good reason to buy a great mandolin that has been gigged for twenty years, or a pre distressed one like my Silverangel.

My guitars are from 65, 70, and 80.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Instruments are tools. Maintaining a tool is recommended. Does a cosmetic imperfection compromise the functionality of the tool?
    If you own multiple copies of the same tool, you are collecting, and different standards apply because resale value becomes a parameter. Or maybe you want to slowly trade up to a better instrument, which is another reason to glass case it.

I value my single mandolin for the way it plays and the sound it produces. Yes, I selected the F style for the aesthetics when I bought it 25 years ago, and that makes a hypocrite to a certain degree, but I put my time into playing it and not keeping it in a pristine state. I've had it refretted, replaced the bridge, and even fixed the binding on one of the points, but that fix isn't perfect, just functional. Next up is replacing the nut so I don't have to put a piece of paper in one of the A slots to keep it from buzzing on the first fret.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkwood View Post
    Instruments are tools. Maintaining a tool is recommended. Does a cosmetic imperfection compromise the functionality of the tool?
    If you own multiple copies of the same tool, you are collecting, and different standards apply because resale value becomes a parameter. Or maybe you want to slowly trade up to a better instrument, which is another reason to glass case it.

I value my single mandolin for the way it plays and the sound it produces. Yes, I selected the F style for the aesthetics when I bought it 25 years ago, and that makes a hypocrite to a certain degree, but I put my time into playing it and not keeping it in a pristine state. I've had it refretted, replaced the bridge, and even fixed the binding on one of the points, but that fix isn't perfect, just functional. Next up is replacing the nut so I don't have to put a piece of paper in one of the A slots to keep it from buzzing on the first fret.
    Hah hah. My wife probably thinks I'm a tool!

BB

18. The following members say thank you to Bill Bradshaw for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

the answer is, "B." Have fun, make stores, do a few hundred dollars of damage, etc. Don't buy a beater! No way! Use your new mandolin. They aren't that fragile!

That said, they don't like salt water, heat, bug spray or too much dry air. I don't either, but for the former!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

The marks you leave on it is what makes it your's.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Love the video about dragging the guitar, I used to tell people afraid to hit new golf clubs to tie a rope around the grips and drag them behind a cart for 18 holes. Next time you have to hit a wedge off gravel you won’t be afraid to scratch your new toys. I’m undecided if all those finish scratches around my treble f-hole are pick scratches or mic marks? Lets not forget the strap release incidents as you see your instrument bounce off concrete! Does add character!
    Play em like you know em!

I didn't have to worry about the first ding issue. Although it had never had an owner, my Doug Clark mando had been gigged for a few weeks by Darren Nicholson of Balsam Range. The top edge of the fretboard looked like he had been swordfighting with a microphone boom a time or two.
    Out of tune and out of time.

Blog Entries

Mmmm, different strokes I guess. I do like nice instruments, and I like to keep them nice.

I've always gone out of my way to make sure my instruments are safe and not damaged while they are in my care, and for the most part I've been pretty successful. I'm also meticulous -- or some may call it obsessive -- about cleaning an instrument after I play it for more than just a few minutes.

For any of my main playing instruments, I have a similarly setup less expensive backup instrument that I'll use when I'm in an environment that I don't trust, and frequently I will carry them to gigs just in case my main player has a string break at the wrong time, or something similar.

The nice thing about mandolins is that they are the ideal size and weight for walking, hiking, traveling, etc., but these things often put them at special risk for damage and theft. So for me, having a backup mandolin is really important.

We may all be saying mostly the same things though -- I play hard and enjoy my instruments just like anyone else here.

But then again, I make sure I don't damage them unnecessarily as I play them. Some things are unavoidable, like fret wear, wear of the finish of the back of the neck, moderate strap wear and normal finish and metal aging. And the occasional peghead or body ding or scratch... Or even breaking of the peghead scroll, which I'd consider completely accidental, especially if tastefully repaired...

But ignored pick scars, pinky wear, arm wear, other right hand playing marks, serious back finish wear or belt marks -- all of these are completely avoidable if a little care is taken.

And, I'm just as careful when deciding to purchase a nicer instrument... Tone and playability are the number one concern, yes, and moderate unavoidable wear and tear are acceptable. But realistically, if it's horribly scarred or structurally damaged, I'm probably going to pass it by.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

24. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I had all those thoughts when I saw that special Ellis mandolin in the classifieds last week (gone within a day) with the torch & wire headstock and inlaid tuner buttons (and all the other very best stuff). I thought to myself, "I'd be afraid to touch that thing, let alone play it every day." It was absolutely gorgeous and I almost got queasy just thinking about the first ding.

So, ... I didn't buy it!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Yeah …. to paraphrase C.S. " The first ding is the deepest. Play it love it care for it ….. be careful wo you let play it and make sure you put the first ding on it …. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

If you use something, it's going to start looking used. It's just a matter of how quickly it happens. Look after it by all means, but it's no use in a glass case.
    Mandolins: Bandolim by Antonio Pereira Cabral
    German flatback mandola by unknown maker converted from a descant Waldzither

I got over that quick fast and in a hurry...the day I got my new Northfield I reached in the case and gouged the top finish with my thumbnail...looking back I’m glad it happened so early as I don’t treat mine like glass at all. It’s got all kinds of dings and scratches on it now, like everyone else said just play it and enjoy it.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Adams View Post
    Love the video about dragging the guitar, I used to tell people afraid to hit new golf clubs to tie a rope around the grips and drag them behind a cart for 18 holes. Next time you have to hit a wedge off gravel you won’t be afraid to scratch your new toys. I’m undecided if all those finish scratches around my treble f-hole are pick scratches or mic marks? Lets not forget the strap release incidents as you see your instrument bounce off concrete! Does add character!
    This has fortunately only happened to me once, with a relatively inexpensive imported G and L Tele (that's actually a very good guitar, btw). I was in my basement and walking into the music room to put it up. Had a drink in one hand, and a pile of music in the other. Managed to not spill the drink, but tossed the music when I felt it going and caught it on the first bounce. Popped off a nice chunk of the finish on the back edge of the lower bout. Guitar still plays and sounds great, and now it's got a little mojo about it, but the sound of that thing hitting the concrete was sickening.

Because of that incident I almost always have one hand on the instrument around my neck. That practice has saved damage to my Silverangel when the end pin slipped out (the first night I got it...low humidity environment in shipping I guess) and also my Taylor 714 when the strap button unscrewed on me once.

To the OP, I'd say wail on it!!
    Chuck

I think the importance of mintyness has a lot to do with cost, proportionate to you financial situation. Some will baby their Eastmans like others will baby their Ellis.

I was fortunate to build in many flaws during the process of making my Arches kit, and my investment is not so much that I would seriously devalue it. I already know an accept that it's worth to anyone but me is minimal. I do have a huge emotional attachment, but I purposely finished the neck very thin so as to wear it to wood is a shorter amount of time. If I did something to the finish that was horrible, I'll just refinish it. I'm sure I'd feel very different were it an Ellis or some such.

But like I said before, I like old wood, and that usually comes with multiple bumps and bruises. Now I'm going to be very careful with my Gibson A-1. Being 105 years old and in very good condition, I feel more like a curator than an owner.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Play it and enjoy it! If you need a back up get a good one. I consider a back up to be a replacement for the main instrument when that tool is out for repairs or set up. Therefore I have sets of two. Stelling banjos. Martin guitars, LaPlant and Gilchrist mandolins.
    Use them well!!