Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bridge fitting..

Default Re: Bridge fitting..

From Stephen Perry - ".. Need a slightly curved edge..". Yes,that might very well have been the solution Stephen. I tried to use a standard 'Stanley knife' blade - what you folks call a ''box cutter'' with a straight blade. I also tried a large,straight bladed scalpel (as sharp as you can get),again to very little effect - a curved, ''point contact'' blade or scraper would have done it.I have such a scraper in my toolbox,one that i made for scraping metal back when i was an engineering apprentice in 1962 !. That would have done it,but i never thought of using it on such a small item = a mistake. However,wet & dry paper did it as perfectly as i'd ever need,eventually. I had to contour the straight saddle as well,& re-cut the slots. It took me over 4 hours,but i enjoyed every minute of it. The result & satisfaction was it's own reward & i wouldn't hesitate to do it again if necessary,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Here is the scraper I am using most of the time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8992.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	171781
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com
    1-800-493-4922

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

3. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Hi Stephen - My own scraper is intended for metal,& isn't as curved,but it would have given me 'point contact',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Hi Stephen - My own scraper is intended for metal,& isn't as curved,but it would have given me 'point contact',
    Ivan
    I've not noticed wood caring what it's scraped with!

My issue is that I've not been able to get the control I want with sandpaper. No matter what jig or technique, when I chalk test afterwards I end up with excess contact in the center of the pads. So a scraper seems the way to go. Similar issue with flat scraper and with bridge knives for violin bridges.
    Stephen Perry
    www.giannaviolins.com - Primarily violin family
    mandovoodoo.com - Acoustic blueprinting
    South Side Chicagoland

I just bought a Brekke bridg for my Collings A oval. I started the fitting, got intimidated, and arranged with the local volin shop (small town) to ft the bridge. I like the sound quite a lot. Richer, no real volume loss that I can tell. They id quite a nice job with the fitting.
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early