Thread: Oakhurst PORCHFEST (No mando content)

Default Oakhurst PORCHFEST (No mando content)

Next Saturday my neighborhood is have our fourth annual Porchfest. People volunteer there porches and musical talent for a great fun time. The hood is about a mile square and we have 220 porches and 220 musical acts. Every porch/act gets one hour to preform. No one gets paid and no one is charged. This a very grass roots thing. Each house is responsible for their small piece of the event. The music is mostly acoustic and mostly amateur. A church A Capella group, high schoolers, singer/song writers, bluegrass bands, originals and covers. The whole hood is alive with music all afternoon, with everybody outside meeting their neighbors. We are not the first to do this but we are one of the largest. I encourage you to do this in your town.

https://www.oakhurstporchfest.org/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Visentin For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Oakhurst PORCHFEST (No mando content)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Visentin View Post
    Next Saturday my neighborhood is have our fourth annual Porchfest. People volunteer there porches and musical talent for a great fun time. The hood is about a mile square and we have 220 porches and 220 musical acts. Every porch/act gets one hour to preform. No one gets paid and no one is charged. This a very grass roots thing. Each house is responsible for their small piece of the event. The music is mostly acoustic and mostly amateur. A church A Capella group, high schoolers, singer/song writers, bluegrass bands, originals and covers. The whole hood is alive with music all afternoon, with everybody outside meeting their neighbors. We are not the first to do this but we are one of the largest. I encourage you to do this in your town.

https://www.oakhurstporchfest.org/
    Bob's right. Porchfest is great fun. If you're around Atlanta next weekend come out to Oakhurst and walk around and enjoy a great day.

4. The following members say thank you to saxdog for this post:

Come say hello to me. I'll be playing bass with my jazz band, OWLS, at 315 Mead Road from 3:00 to 4:00

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

That does sound really cool! Wish I could come!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

On Sept. 2, my 5-piece Italian music group, La Bella Musica, played Maplewood, NJ's, second annual Porchfest. What a great time! 80+ musical groups spread across 50-or-so porches, driveways, and front lawns. Most played for an hour, w/ some taking yet-fuller advantage of the opportunity. Needless to say, a full array of musical styles, ages, and, uhmm, degrees of accomplishment! A high point of our wandering about after playing was when guitarist Ben, who also plays mandobass in the Bloomfield Mandolin Orchestra, got to take over a set for his old high school music teacher, who was playing bass guitar w/ friends on his own front porch!

From what I gathered at the time, the Porchfest concept is maybe five or six years old and growing. I think there are, thus far, a bit over 4 dozen around country.

And, oh yeah: Our host family was incredibly gracious, providing seating, refreshments, extension cords, etc. Approximate quote: "We didn't think we were planning a block party, but sure ended up with one!"

(Mando content? 2 mandolins, flute, guitar, bass guitar!)
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

8. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post: