Thread: Info in a Kentucky KM-600 Standard F Model

Default Info in a Kentucky KM-600 Standard F Model

Any information about this possibly discontinued Kentucky KM600F. I am considering a used one as my first mandolin. Photo shows side front surface scratches but seems ok elsewhere. I haven't played it yet. I have a serial # and it was sold by Saga somewhere around 2011. Internet says solid spruce top and when new cost about $700. Thanks!

Default Re: Info in a Kentucky KM-600 Standard F Model

Very familiar. The 500, 550, 600 and 650 were made at a new factory during that era. While they are similar, they had nothing in common with the rest of the Kentucky Line. They were all solid. A high percentage had necks that warped. Not all, there were some good ones. Make sure to specifically ask about the neck. Other than that, these didn't have any issues that I recall.

If you are not able to see it in person or get good description of the neck, pay half of what you think it is worse, because there is a 50% chance of problems.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Thank you for the info, Robert. I will get to see it in person. How should I sight it and what should I look for to see if it has a warped neck? I assume left/right and a possible curve up or down.

Best thing to do is to buy it from someone who knows what to look for and won’t sell it unless it checks out. I bought my KM-600 3 or 4 years ago and have moved it on since, but it was quite nice I thought for the 399 I payed for it. I bought it from Dennis at The Mandolin Store and he told me himself that it did not have the neck problem, because if it did he would not sell it. I believed him 100 percent because of his reputation in the business, and it gave me peace of mind.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

5. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Robert is right on. A lot of those developed a pronounced bump at the neck joint.