Thread: Stew Mac F Mandolin Oval hole?

Default Stew Mac F Mandolin Oval hole?

I'm about to begin my first Mandolin build from the Stew Mac F kit. I've been building guitars and basses for 20 years , but this will be my first acoustic. ( so playing it safe with the kit to learn the ropes ) I'm aware of the differences in bracing between the F and Oval hole designs , just curious if anyone has built this kit using an Oval hole .

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Stew Mac F Mandolin Oval hole?

Verified with them there is no problem going either way. As my main mandolin is an F5 style , I'm going for F4 on this one to compliment it.

I'm assuming this means that they will send you plates which are rather thick. Oval hole plates should not be as thin under the fretboard extension and tailpiece as f-hole plates. In fact, I leave them just about as thick in those areas as under the bridge, just thinning out to 2.5-3 mm at the recurve on the treble and bass sides.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

hankPapalobo 

Adrian Minarovic

Remember this won't be real F-4. You will have elevated fingerboard and long neck so count with that as well. Some folks call then F-4.5. These often work best with long x bracing. Make sure you make the area around the hole strong like Marty said. I think the suplied plates have enough meat.
    Good luck!
    Adrian

6. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Thanks folks !