Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: looking for info on this

  1. #1

    Default looking for info on this

    recently foundClick image for larger version. 

Name:	018D9C77-5593-434D-A142-F85D1339F424.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	276.9 KB 
ID:	171612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33C0EA41-5760-49C2-BFD1-4E38ACCB51C5.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	658.9 KB 
ID:	171613Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C521883C-C339-4B0E-8845-16F24B8C00C8.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	671.8 KB 
ID:	171614 its made in japan and has a flat back

  2. #2
    Registered User DavidKOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    North CA
    Posts
    3,602

    Default Re: looking for info on this

    Wow, that looks like my very first mandolin that I had for a short time in the early 70's.

    It's the same Ibanez that made some fine guitars later on.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibanez

    http://www.ibanez.com/anniversary/ex...t_id=334&now=2



    similar, not same pickguard mid 60's

    http://www.ibanez.com/anniversary/ex..._id=337&now=15



    looking more like #170 as marked on the label

    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...banez-mandolin

    old thread

    By the mid 70's Ibanez was making (or getting from other factories) more typically "American" style mandolins.

  3. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:


  4. #3
    Mandolin Friendly Mark Gunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Near Abilene, Texas
    Posts
    2,774

    Default Re: looking for info on this

    In the other thread (the one David linked to), you asked,
    is it worth anything or just a wall hanger?
    Are those your only two choices? If it's in good shape and playable, you can play it rather than making it a "wall hanger."

    If it isn't playable, I don't think it's going to be worth much of anything. This isn't the holy grail of mandolins. If it is in great shape and sounds good, you can probably get a bill or a few bills if you are a shrewd salesperson.

    Merely my opinion, I'm no expert, but there are experts on this board who probably won't be getting very excited about this specimen.
    Technique, theory and fun, fun, fun. I love playing, studying and sharing MUSIC.
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN
    ------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Collings Mandolins | MandoCymru
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

  5. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:


  6. #4

    Default Re: looking for info on this

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Merely my opinion, I'm no expert, but there are experts on this board who probably won't be getting very excited about this specimen.
    Great quote, Mark! This summarizes why the rare stuff is rare and 99.9% of old instruments are just old and unexciting, IMHO. Some people think just by being 50-100 years old there must be a demand or worth to something and so often that just is not the case.

  7. #5

    Default Re: looking for info on this

    Some of my favourite mandolins are not expensive instruments and were factory made. However, I do have a hand-carved top and back F5 style mandolin made by arguably Britain's best archtop maker- his last mandolin and a 1923 A2 snakehead which are superb. However, I have other Cinderella mandolins that do go to the ball- and deservedly so. It is not always about value. My first decent mandolin was an A5 copy made in Japan and it is a good instrument.

  8. #6

    Default Re: looking for info on this

    Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Some of my favourite mandolins are not expensive instruments and were factory made. However, I do have a hand-carved top and back F5 style mandolin made by arguably Britain's best archtop maker- his last mandolin and a 1923 A2 snakehead which are superb. However, I have other Cinderella mandolins that do go to the ball- and deservedly so. It is not always about value. My first decent mandolin was an A5 copy made in Japan and it is a good instrument.
    It was my dads,he recently passed just curious its in excellent condition no plans of getting rid on it

  9. #7
    Registered User Bob Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    1,334

    Default Re: looking for info on this

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Some people think just by being 50-100 years old there must be a demand or worth to something and so often that just is not the case.
    Well, Jeff, I am in that age range and have been hoping I'd become 'in demand', but it just hasn't happened yet.

    (Sorry, but I found that statement just too funny to let it go by!)
    Purr more, hiss less.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •