Thread: Phantom PM6

Default Phantom PM6

Hello! I've owned this thing for a few years and I was always curious as to where it was made. Don't really care about its worth (only cost me 100 bucks) but I'm curious about its history. The only thing I could find on the Phantom brand is the company in Clatskanie, Oregon but something tells me this thing didn't come from there.

[IMG]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3378.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	396.2 KB 
ID:	171559Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3380.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	376.4 KB 
ID:	171560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3381.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	400.1 KB 
ID:	171561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3382.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	340.5 KB 
ID:	171562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3383.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	398.1 KB 
ID:	171563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3384.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	371.1 KB 
ID:	171564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3385.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	341.1 KB 
ID:	171565[/IMG]

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Phantom PM6

I reckon I stumped everyone.

How can I tell what kind of wood it is or where to maybe find markings for a lead on it?

Well, you seem to have really presented quite a poser here. I have never even heard of one before, and whatever that thing Phantom sells today is, it bears no resemblance to your instrument and precious little to any kind of mandolin. All I can contribute is that it is virtually identical to a poor quality pacrim mando I had some time back. It was pretty generic with no markings except a crooked foil sticker saying "Strad-O-Lin" slapped on the headstock. I know that's not much to go on, but...
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

To me it looks like a twin to a multitude of imported mass produced mandolins produced under probably hundreds of different brand names from the 60s through the early 80s. Most likely laminated wood pressed into shape, no truss rod, too-large bridge with extremely large thumbwheels and no compensation. Lots of them around with all kinds of names slapped onto the headstock.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

It's an instrument from the phantom zone.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Nice looking tuner buttons, tho. If they're not junk, they might be worth salvaging.
    We are the music makers,

Don has it right.
    I think these were more commonly sold under the "Hondo" brand. Called the Hondo II.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Hond...=1920&bih=1064
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	271.9 KB 
ID:	171924

It looks like a Pacific rim job with the shape and appointments. They get built and bid on and then silkscreen names are added and they are worth every bit of your $100.

Guys, thank you so much! A re-badged Hondo looks about right! To be honest it plays like poo and I'll most likely buy a better cheap mandolin and hang this one on the wall. Do you reckon it's worth having set up? Or, since it already plays like poo should I try to set it up myself?

I wouldn't spend money on getting it setup. You could try your hand at it, with the aid of Rob Meldrum's e-book. Likely you will get it to be better, but it isn't a very high quality mandolin to begin with. So I wouldn't expect miracles.
    Best bet is to set it up yourself and learn about the mandolin in doing so. Then put your money towards a better instrument.
    With what you learn doing the setup of the Phantom you can apply your skills to setting up a new mandolin.
    If you need to keep it cheap, you could go with a Rogue (the object of Rob's e-book) for $50 and after your careful setup, it will probably be better than the Phantom.
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk...style-mandolin
    But I'd look for an all solid wood instrument instead.

A Rover RM-50 for $150 would be a decent starting point. It is solid wood, but has a pressed top and back, not carved. To really start getting into good sound, you want a carved top and back.

I'd set your sights on a Kentucky KM-150 at minimum, if you can afford it ($375).

If you buy a mandolin from a reputable dealer, they will set it up for you.
    Like this one:
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...l-mandolin.htm
    or this one
    https://www.elderly.com/kentucky-km-150-mandolin.htm
    Last edited by colorado_al; Oct-17-2018 at 1:53pm.

Here's some info for you on the Rogue with a comparison to a Kentucky KM-150 by Baron Collins-Hill

If you're on a tight budget a Rogue is definitely a way yo go. But keep in mind nobody sells them set up, and it is something that has GOT to be done before they are anywhere near being playable. Many people on a shoestring budget get one and get Rob Meldrum's ebook and do it themselves. You will need a minimal number of inexpensive items to do the job but overall the amout needed to end up with a fairly playable instrument is surprisingly low and the job is something you can definitely do yourself.
    We are the music makers,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Epiphone Mandolin.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	860.4 KB 
ID:	173632

So I wanted to update the thread since everyone was so awesome about helping me out with the Phantom. I had decided to save up for something better when a great deal fell on my lap. A good friend of mine sold me an Epiphone MM-50E, a Deering Goodtime 2 and a Fender FR50 for pretty much the price of the Deering new. The Epiphone came in it's factory box and the other two in some nice solid gig-bags. They all need new strings but are pretty much new! Off to play I go!