Thread: Breedlove strung over tailpiece

Default Breedlove strung over tailpiece

Today I put new strings on my Breedlove Quartz OO and I put the strings over the tailpiece instead of under, so they aren’t running through the felt. The sound is louder and clearer than it was the other way. Especially on the G strings, I was never happy with the sound, and now they ring nicely. I wonder if it’s bad for the strings or the mandolin to not go the underneath route through the tailpiece ? I know the special tailpiece is a Breedlove thing but I have trouble hooking the strings underneath. Thank you !

Default Re: Breedlove strung over tailpiece

Hello and welcome to the forum.

A photo might help but, theoretically, if they're going over, rather than under, it sounds like you're reducing the string angle over the bridge which is likely to make the mandolin quieter. The strings missing the felt might also result in some ringing between the tailpiece and bridge which will also change the sound but my guess would be that any percieved increase in volume will be simply due to a new set of strings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0902.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	171620

Name:	IMG_0899.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	171619

I have to say I've never like the way the Gs sound or play, even when they are brand new. This is the first time I've strung it over the top instead of through the bottom where the felt is. The Gs have never rung before.
    Last edited by Laundrycrisis; Oct-04-2018 at 7:06pm.

I have two Breedloves. I've always strung (?) them the normal way and never had a problem with any of the strings, including the G. I have that tailpiece on one of them and it is a PITA to work with. Stringing over the top might make a re-string easier but I can see how it would improve the sound.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I had a 2006 Quartz OF for about 7 years. I liked the look of that tailpiece but hated the stringing part. I always string it over the top. It was never a issue. I can’t say however, that it changed the tone at all. Oddly enough, I now have a J Bovier with a Orrico tailpiece that hooks the strings the same way. On this one, I string it the correct way because it just doesn’t look right with the decorative engraving on the Orrico. Didn’t bother me at all with the plain black of the Breedlove.

i've tried it both ways with my quartz and i prefer stringing under. stringing over added some weird overtones as the strings vibrated ON the tailpiece, a no-no and is the whole reason for stringing under and utilizing a dampening felt. there should be no resonance interference past the bridge's saddle to the tailpiece, nor past the nut and to the tuners. that is, unless you like the results.

Name:	DSC04423.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	328.0 KB 
ID:	172282
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!